Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

HED Ardennes / HED Belgium review...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

HED Ardennes / HED Belgium review...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-20, 07:24 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by showlow
I'll get a flat 2 - 3 times on some rides around here (desert) with regular clinchers and tubes. I'm coming around to tubeless. I have my H-Plus Son Hydras set up tubeless now. I poked a pretty good sized hole in the rear tire the other day. It was losing pressure fast. I haven't learned how to use plugs yet and I was about to pull out my spare tube and throw it in, but then I figured I'd try and let the sealant do its job. I sorta tucked the torn rubber back into the hole and held my finger over it for a minute. Then I spun the wheel around a while, and inflated it back to 50 PSI with my hand pump. Sealed right up and I haven't touched it since except to reinflate a little.

That said, being able to get the tire off on the side of the road isn't a "feature", it's a necessity. There would be situations where I absolutely need to boot a tire, and put in a tube. Those HEDs were just horrible in that situation.
yeah agreed.

But if you think HED is bad, I suspect you haven't deal with mtb hookless rims yet. IMPOSSIBLE to remove on the trail (unless you happen to bring a visegrip or a scissor to cut the tire)... and even if you somehow manage to do the impossible and unmount it without destroying it... it will be IMPOSSIBLE to seat the bead again with a hand pump or any amount of CO2 cartridges, trying to pump an mtb tire to 60 psi is akin to pumping a road tire to 130+ psi, i litterally have to bounce my whole body weight (122 lbs) on my floorpump to get it to 60 psi. Basically, with hookless rims, if you get a flat that will not seal on the trail, good chance you're walking out
Old 08-13-20, 07:48 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Funny. I was super pragmatic and frugal for years. Only buying used bikes and doing my own repairs. This current bike is the first time I drank the koolaid and really went all in on trendy new tech.
If you are going to ditch them do yourself a favor and put Campy wheels on your bike. Even if I opt for SRAM on the bike I am considering Campy Shamals or Boras are going on it.
Likes For Mulberry20:
Old 10-27-21, 06:27 PM
Mach5sailor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HED Ardennes Plus

Frustrated with Conti 5000 & Ultra Sport flat fixes so ordered a Vitoria Rubino and wow wow wow it was easy on. If it checks the other two boxes (longevity and flat protection) I’m sold.

Love the 5000 feel but can’t handle another 15-20 minute change, Lyft ride, or call to the wife.
Old 10-27-21, 07:02 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 435 Posts
noticing, now that this thread was revived - I wasn't spending any time in BF when this was originally posted...
and not to negate this OP's issues - But I do have a different perspective on HED wheels - albeit the earlier gen versions when they and ZIPP were the only one's with the 'wider rims...
I have 3 sets of HED wheels, Kermesse being the oldest, then the 1 st gen Ardennes and after that the Bastogne.
None are 'PLUS' - again early gen. The Kermesse have 25k+ miles, the Ardennes have 12K+, and the Bastogne a relatively light 8K mi...
All have been bulletproof, and in comparison to numerous other Wheelsets (Ksyrium, Ultegra, Fulcrum, Spinergy, list goes on...) these have been the best/fastest running of all.
And did I say bulletproof ? !!! 1 broken spoke on the Kermesse rear, because a tree branch popped into the wheel and bridged across the chain stays... remarkable that only ONE spoke broke!
All are Factory Built HED wheel sets with their HED labeled hubs, all shimano freehub., all clincher.
Tire mounting is variable... I have used Conti 4000s a lot and have no issues changing tires, often being able to remove and put on using my hands/thumbs, Vittoria Rubio Pros, no real problem although a new tire usually requires some light work with a lever. Also ran TriComps without issue. Kendas also seem fine for mounting... Tried one set of Clement LGG tires, that was a tough tire, very hard casing, and difficult to mount. Poor road feel - a great disappointment based on all my prior history with Clement Sewups... (but I guess its just a 'bought' brand name...).
Anyway, one thing I do when mounting tires on ANY rim, is to assure that the tire bead is in the center well of the rim, when I get to the final few inches of getting the bead over and on.
If the bead is sitting high, next to the rim sidewall, getting the final section over can be a real PITA ! New tires, I usually just use a plastic lever to pop the final few inches, without much force - if the bead is down in the center well... This is with Alu rims - I don't have experience with CF rims, because I don;t own any... yet... that may change. Also don;t have any rims which are primary tubeless ...
Ride On
Yuri
Old 11-01-21, 09:05 AM
showlow

Bikes: Lemond Zurich, All City Macho King Ace

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
noticing, now that this thread was revived - I wasn't spending any time in BF when this was originally posted...
and not to negate this OP's issues - But I do have a different perspective on HED wheels - albeit the earlier gen versions when they and ZIPP were the only one's with the 'wider rims...
I have 3 sets of HED wheels, Kermesse being the oldest, then the 1 st gen Ardennes and after that the Bastogne.
None are 'PLUS' - again early gen. The Kermesse have 25k+ miles, the Ardennes have 12K+, and the Bastogne a relatively light 8K mi...
All have been bulletproof, and in comparison to numerous other Wheelsets (Ksyrium, Ultegra, Fulcrum, Spinergy, list goes on...) these have been the best/fastest running of all.
And did I say bulletproof ? !!! 1 broken spoke on the Kermesse rear, because a tree branch popped into the wheel and bridged across the chain stays... remarkable that only ONE spoke broke!
All are Factory Built HED wheel sets with their HED labeled hubs, all shimano freehub., all clincher.
Tire mounting is variable... I have used Conti 4000s a lot and have no issues changing tires, often being able to remove and put on using my hands/thumbs, Vittoria Rubio Pros, no real problem although a new tire usually requires some light work with a lever. Also ran TriComps without issue. Kendas also seem fine for mounting... Tried one set of Clement LGG tires, that was a tough tire, very hard casing, and difficult to mount. Poor road feel - a great disappointment based on all my prior history with Clement Sewups... (but I guess its just a 'bought' brand name...).
Anyway, one thing I do when mounting tires on ANY rim, is to assure that the tire bead is in the center well of the rim, when I get to the final few inches of getting the bead over and on.
If the bead is sitting high, next to the rim sidewall, getting the final section over can be a real PITA ! New tires, I usually just use a plastic lever to pop the final few inches, without much force - if the bead is down in the center well... This is with Alu rims - I don't have experience with CF rims, because I don;t own any... yet... that may change. Also don;t have any rims which are primary tubeless ...
Ride On
Yuri
Real zombie thread here. Those rims are long gone. Have had two sets of tubeless wheels since those HEDs, and none of the problems. I can mount tires on them just as easilyas any set of non-tubless wheels I have had. Maaaybe 20 percent harder? The drop channel can make it a little tricky, but it's not an issue. I have changed hundreds of flats. It takes me a few minutes at most. With those HEDs I would want to jump in front of a bus. They literally left me stranded once because I pinched two tubes flat. I had to call my wife.

I actually emailed HED about the issue and a tech got back to me, acknowledged the issue of the rims being made too large, and offered to rebuild the wheels with the newer spec (smaller? easier to mount) rims. I responded that I would be thrilled with that solution, said thank you very much, and asked where I should ship them. Then he ghosted me. I forwarded his email to the main tech support and again I was ghosted. So, no more HEDs for me.
Old 11-01-21, 11:10 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I have a new set of Hed Ardennes Performance wheels. Mounting tires has not been a problem. Some tires that I know can be hard to mount, I will mount them first on older wheels that I never have mounting issues with, let them stay on the rim at full PSI at least overnight, then mount them on the tubeless ready rims. Obviously, I am talking about clinchers. I have never done tubeless.
Old 11-01-21, 06:27 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
After reading through this thread I'm very glad I bought Roval SLX 24 rims and use clichers. Just too damned easy. And only one flat in the last 4K miles.
Old 11-02-21, 07:17 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 435 Posts
Real zombie thread here. Those rims are long gone. Have had two sets of tubeless wheels since those HEDs, and none of the problems. I can mount tires on them just as easilyas any set of non-tubless wheels I have had. Maaaybe 20 percent harder? The drop channel can make it a little tricky, but it's not an issue. I have changed hundreds of flats. It takes me a few minutes at most. With those HEDs I would want to jump in front of a bus. They literally left me stranded once because I pinched two tubes flat. I had to call my wife.

I actually emailed HED about the issue and a tech got back to me, acknowledged the issue of the rims being made too large, and offered to rebuild the wheels with the newer spec (smaller? easier to mount) rims. I responded that I would be thrilled with that solution, said thank you very much, and asked where I should ship them. Then he ghosted me. I forwarded his email to the main tech support and again I was ghosted. So, no more HEDs for me.
Sorry you had those issues. But glad you moved past them.
I didn;t revive the thread, but having read it, I wanted to add that not all HED wheels/rims suffer the same issues. Have not had occasion to need HED support, so can't speak to that. But that part doesn't sound good. Certainly not good 'press' for them. As for the product I have, good stuff and planning to use them for some time to come.
Ride On
Yuri
Old 11-06-21, 11:32 AM
texbazII

Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Ultimate, 1997 Ibis Szazbo, 2021 Lynskey R300/Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Hmmm, Just placed an order for New bike and the HED Ardennes RA Performance disc, are ones that I picked. Hope this is not the same scenario. Ive always prided myself with being able to remove and install my tires without tools but this whole thread seemed to indicate tools didn't really matter.