Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Cannondale Hooligan review?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Cannondale Hooligan review?

Old 01-06-14, 05:18 PM
cbr9927

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dynaryder
I'm 6' and it fits ok after playing with the stem setup. But I'm pretty much at the top of the range for mini velos.

You're 5'6" and think the Large Quick is too small? Geo's only a touch smaller than my Large BBU which fits me perfect.
The Cannondale Quicks are a really tight fit, among the tightest hybrid I have ever been on. It was fun for quick runs and tight turns but over the long distance it did not feel all the great. I bought it at REI and they have a pretty liberal return policy unlike the local bike shop. I did return it without a scratch and cleaned up.
I am really looking forward to the Hooligan, how does the bike feel riding up hills?
Old 01-08-14, 12:37 AM
monsterpile
This bike is cat approved

Bikes: To many to list...

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've always wanted one of these, but never found a deal on one that was reasonable. Of course its nothing I need at all. If you don't mind me asking how much did you have to pay for yours? Not sure about that paint scheme although I think it might actually look better in person.
Old 01-08-14, 01:54 AM
cbr9927

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by monsterpile
I've always wanted one of these, but never found a deal on one that was reasonable. Of course its nothing I need at all. If you don't mind me asking how much did you have to pay for yours? Not sure about that paint scheme although I think it might actually look better in person.
899.00 plus the up the high tax of 9.5 percent in WA State. The paint job is gross but no patience to wait till 2015 to get a better Hooligan paint schem
Old 01-08-14, 05:10 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
They pop up from time to time on eBay,that's where I got my 3. Some framesets also pop up occasionally. I do think my black 3 with red bits is the best color scheme they made.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 01-21-14, 12:53 AM
cbr9927

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went to the shop today, the bike is suppose to come in at the end of March. Looking to blacken out some of the silly coloring they have for 2014.
Old 02-01-14, 11:08 AM
cbr9927

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I decided to cancel the 14 Hooligan order and bought a Giant Defy Roadbike instead. I was having a hard time dealing with the paint scheme of the 14 model. Looked at online pics and no matter which angle it was just looked well like a circus bike ( no offense to anyone with a 14 Hooligan). The paint scheme of the previous years are head and shoulders above the current one. Maybe in 2015. Still love little bikes!

Last edited by cbr9927; 02-01-14 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-01-14, 02:03 PM
smallwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Old 02-01-14, 04:29 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cbr9927
I was having a hard time dealing with the paint scheme of the 14 model.
Make it look 'urban':
https://www.mcnett.com/tactical/camoform#19716

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 02-04-14, 06:03 AM
P7HVN

Bikes: Fuji Comp 29r, Downtube, Tommi Sea fat bike, Nashbar SS 29r half-fat, Full suspension mini-velo/MTB, Loopwheel M-Velo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I decided to cancel the 14 Hooligan order and bought a Giant Defy Roadbike instead. I was having a hard time dealing with the paint scheme of the 14 model. Looked at online pics and no matter which angle it was just looked well like a circus bike ( no offense to anyone with a 14 Hooligan). The paint scheme of the previous years are head and shoulders above the current one. Maybe in 2015. Still love little bikes!
That's too bad. Especially considering they offer different colors to other markets. Europe gets a pretty cool battleship-grey version... I like the suggestion above to modify it yourself; you could just pull off the fork, lightly sand it and paint whatever color you'd like. The rest of the bike is easy stuff to deal with. Hope the Defy works out well for you.
Old 02-04-14, 10:52 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by smallwheeler
Lol. Unfortunately, way too close to reality in way too many design situations...

I'd not have let bogus color sway me. Perfect opportunity for stickers, or vinyl coverup, which would be easy enough to swap out any time I got tired of current colorway.

Someone called me on my previous statement about earlier Hooligan 8s with rim brakes, and they were absolutely correct, I stand corrected. Even the 8sp came with disks, but still not the lefty fork and nowhere near as cool as the 3sp. Having said that, now that I'm riding an 8sp Birdy, my opinion of the Hooligan 8 has changed and I'd def consider one if it came along at the right price...

Last edited by mconlonx; 02-04-14 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-04-14, 05:11 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'd actually like to get one of the Aussie spec 8's;they were bright yellow but had the solo fork. Saw a frameset on eBay once but with shipping it was way too much.

Old 02-04-14, 06:26 PM
anrque

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just picked up a Hooligan 8 from SF Craigslist for a good price plus shipping to get it up to Portland. I like the lefty fork, but all of the lefties currently available on Craig's seem to be listed at almost full price.

As far as this year's goofy design, it looks like we have at least Katy Steudel to blame. https://www.krop.com/ksteudel/ Click on "On Product Graphics" and it is the last image. Reeks of design by committee. Cool bike, sad graphics.
Old 02-04-14, 07:59 PM
P7HVN

Bikes: Fuji Comp 29r, Downtube, Tommi Sea fat bike, Nashbar SS 29r half-fat, Full suspension mini-velo/MTB, Loopwheel M-Velo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by anrque
I just picked up a Hooligan 8 from SF Craigslist for a good price plus shipping to get it up to Portland. I like the lefty fork, but all of the lefties currently available on Craig's seem to be listed at almost full price.
Was that the like-new white one, from the DC area? Was talking to a guy up there last month about purchasing one, but didn't feel comfortable sending a stranger money, and the LBS's I called around there didn't want to get involved as a go-between....

Oops, just re-read your post & noticed the SF reference.
Old 02-04-14, 08:56 PM
cbr9927

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been thinking of getting a 14 Giant Expressway in Blue for 500 MSRP. Same 20 wheels just a lot cheaper and probably way less fun. I emailed Cannondale and told them they lost a customer due to the paint scheme and no response. Perhaps its reversal psych, the uglier it is the better it sell? Who knows? I was at the shop and everyone of the salespeople loves the Hooligan but strangely none own one.
Old 02-05-14, 06:01 AM
P7HVN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look into the Alton M Fixie:
https://cruiserbikespage.blogspot.com...e-speed-m.html
They generally sell for about $250. You could have a 3spd IGH laced onto the wheel and have a Hooligan-like bike for less than $400. Or get this pre-made wheel from Respect Cycles, with a SRAM auto 2spd & coaster brake, for $150 and have an extra wheel.
https://respectcycles.com/all-produc...tomatix-wheel/
I was thinking about going with one of the Alton Fixies for my Loopwheels, but now I'm leaning towards a FGFS frame; they're built a little beefier and have a high enough BB to drop to 20"ers....
Old 02-09-14, 08:17 PM
cbr9927

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is one on ebay with crazy good resale value, I can get a 14 new one cheaper.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cannondale-H...item4d188870fb
Old 02-10-14, 06:27 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Looks like that one bidder just really wants it.

Just noticed they've also dropped the headtube luggage mount from the current models.

Old 02-19-14, 09:55 AM
slolane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love my Hooli's. Had my white one (posted photo above) for couple of years then sold online for close to retail and purchased a new one (pictured below).

The bike is comfy for me at 5'9", 30" inseam but also for friends who are 6'. On both I use Ergon grips, on my new lefty I put bars on with a slight rise as some of the rides I do on it are 20-30 miles... not fast, in a hilly area I average 15-16 mph on the stock tires.

They hold up well, I have used a rear rack with large packs, seat post racks, commute on em, ride on/off curbs daily and haven't had a single problem.

They are fun bikes to ride, my 60 y/o father purchased one used off CL after riding mine a few times. He got an older white/red lefty and loves it.

Old 02-19-14, 07:27 PM
cbr9927

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These Hooligans do have outstanding resale value, been shopping for them at my local stores up and down Seattle area. No shops will carry one this coming spring and those that did say they sell very fast.

So these bikes are around 24pds right?

Last edited by cbr9927; 02-19-14 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-20-14, 03:17 PM
slolane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These Hooligans do have outstanding resale value, been shopping for them at my local stores up and down Seattle area. No shops will carry one this coming spring and those that did say they sell very fast.

So these bikes are around 24pds right?
Last shop I purchased from didn't order any in years. Once he ordered mine it caused a bit of a stir at the shop and has been ordering several a year since. He said the Hooligan and Bad Boy sell out right away, meaning his entire annual stock within a couple weeks.

I think mine is right around 23 lbs with some Wellgo SPD/flat pedals.
Old 02-20-14, 04:51 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My stock solo fork 3 is 25lbs 4oz,my standard fork 8 w/Marathon Racers is 24lbs 13oz.

Old 02-24-14, 06:14 PM
cbr9927

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went back to the shop and reorder the Hooligan, after seeing some of the ridiculous good resale value of these bikes on ebay I don't have much to lose in value vs a regular bike that gets hammered to death on resale.
Assuming the 14 paint scheme does not kill future resale I think I will have a pretty fun toy and a decent sale price later on.

Last edited by cbr9927; 02-24-14 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-26-14, 02:26 PM
slolane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice, congrats!!
Old 02-27-14, 01:42 PM
P7HVN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went back to the shop and reorder the Hooligan, after seeing some of the ridiculous good resale value of these bikes on ebay I don't have much to lose in value vs a regular bike that gets hammered to death on resale.
Assuming the 14 paint scheme does not kill future resale I think I will have a pretty fun toy and a decent sale price later on.
Cool! Might want to make some calls, to all the Cannondale dealers within a reasonable drive from you, to check on stock. I've done some internet searching and have found a few dealers with leftover 13's, in some cool colors. Unfortunately the authorized dealers have a clause with Cannondale, that they won't ship bikes, to cut down on internet sales.
Old 02-27-14, 02:22 PM
cbr9927

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got the replacement black seat and black road bike grips all ready to go. The dealers says only 2 left to order from Cannondale and they are sold out till the new 15 model comes in this fall. I already tried to buy a leftover none left in my area.
[/QUOTE]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.