Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Cannondale Hooligan review?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Cannondale Hooligan review?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-14, 06:33 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just strip the parts off and rattle-can it flat black. Or strip it to bare metal and anodize. Get that Type III they use on flashlights and such and it'll never scratch.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 03-02-14, 09:42 PM
cbr9927

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spring is in the air, 3 Hooligans are on sale on ebay as I type.
Old 03-03-14, 11:47 AM
P7HVN

Bikes: Fuji Comp 29r, Downtube, Tommi Sea fat bike, Nashbar SS 29r half-fat, Full suspension mini-velo/MTB, Loopwheel M-Velo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cbr9927
Spring is in the air, 3 Hooligans are on sale on ebay as I type.
Thanks for the head's up. They sure seem to keep their value well. Tempted to get the $750/buy-it-now one, but that $140 shipping kind of sucks. May have been a little rough on it too; seat is tore up a bit & bar ends look all scratched up...
Old 03-03-14, 12:35 PM
cbr9927

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the 140 charge is to cover the packing fee a bike shop charges and the acutual shipping. I know when I sold my full sized Hybrid it costs 82 bucks to ship it from Seattle to the Midwest and than 45 bucks for the box/packing fee. Shipping costs are thru the roof now and on ebay many sellers are eating some of the real costs for materials and shipping. It used to be the other way around.
Old 03-03-14, 04:21 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Pro tip: avoid listings with dirt cheap shipping. I've picked up 3 bikes from eBay that were unrideable when I got them do to shipping damage. Two weren't a big deal,just filed a claim and bought the parts/got the wheels trued,but the third has turned into a project.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 03-13-14, 10:47 AM
cbr9927

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only 2 weeks or so till the 14 Hooligan is ready to be picked up.
Any one else on this board have one on order? When I placed my order in Late Feb there were 2 left for all the US the dealer said. Probably sold out by now I figure.

This page has the best collection of Hooligan pics.

https://fotos.mtb-news.de/p/1460371

Last edited by cbr9927; 03-13-14 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-19-14, 01:53 PM
rodaboss

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got one due to be shipped March 30. I think they are sold out now, been on order for over a month. Building it with XT's and Alfine8.
Old 03-19-14, 05:32 PM
dezzie

Bikes: Xootr swift, Moulton Speed, Moulton Major.

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
My mates new 2014 hoolie with custom aluminium bracket made for front mudguard and wrapped in carbon, also reflective tape on the frame and reflective dots between the spokes, looks nice at night, oh and he has fitted schwalbe marathon plus 1.75 width tyres on and has no problems with rubbing etc! HAd the bike 2 weeks and has rode it over 200 miles already, he cant keep off it, changed the bars and played with the stem also to make it comfy, just needs a nice seat to finish it, gear upgrades already on the cards!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
neils hoolie.jpg (98.0 KB, 317 views)
Old 03-19-14, 05:46 PM
cbr9927

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rodaboss
Got one due to be shipped March 30. I think they are sold out now, been on order for over a month. Building it with XT's and Alfine8.
Did you get yours from Gregg's Bellevue Cycle. Nice people and shop.
I got rid of the road bike, a Giant Defy for the Hooligan. The Road bike to me was just too serious of a bike, more for straight line riding without the crazy u turns and hops off a curb that I ride being in the city.
Old 03-19-14, 05:47 PM
cbr9927

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dezzie
My mates new 2014 hoolie with custom aluminium bracket made for front mudguard and wrapped in carbon, also reflective tape on the frame and reflective dots between the spokes, looks nice at night, oh and he has fitted schwalbe marathon plus 1.75 width tyres on and has no problems with rubbing etc! HAd the bike 2 weeks and has rode it over 200 miles already, he cant keep off it, changed the bars and played with the stem also to make it comfy, just needs a nice seat to finish it, gear upgrades already on the cards!
Sweet! he cant stop riding it. I am starting to like the bold yellow and black for the States, the grey is a bit down imho.
Old 03-19-14, 06:18 PM
dezzie

Bikes: Xootr swift, Moulton Speed, Moulton Major.

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I am sure in time it will get some colour added, grey on its own is drab but add orange or red bits and graphics it will turn out great, seen many custom mopeds in dark grey with red accents and anodised red parts and they looked gorgeous, by the way we both usually build monkey and pit bikes as a hobby, I have a blinged up dax with snakeskin seat haha, were always modding bikes but recently getting into pushbikes again, I have a nice electra rallysport beach cruiser but want a xootr swift real bad when I get the funds!
Old 03-19-14, 08:19 PM
thugpipe

Bikes: 2011 Origin 8 Bully, 2010 Dahon Silvertip, 2016 Respect Mini Velo

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dezzie
My mates new 2014 with custom aluminium bracket made for front mudguard and wrapped in carbon, also reflective tape on the frame and reflective dots between the spokes, looks nice at night, oh and he has fitted schwalbe marathon plus 1.75 width tyres on and has no problems with rubbing etc! HAd the bike 2 weeks and has rode it over 200 miles already, he cant keep off it, changed the bars and played with the stem also to make it comfy, just needs a nice seat to finish it, gear upgrades already on the cards!
I wish we could get the rear derailleur equipped version here in the states, I'm not a big fan of the IGH 3 speed and it would suck to have to reequip the bike to get it.

The grey is way nicer than that black+pseudoplaid vomit theme we get stuck with and I agree, a few well placed accents would be nice, too bad you can't get a bright red hedset cover and spacers like they had on the 2011 for your bike.

Actually the first thing I would do is put a 55t or 56t chainring on that puppy! I find the gearing of the hooligans way too short stock.

Last edited by thugpipe; 03-19-14 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-25-14, 08:50 PM
cbr9927

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rodaboss
The countdown is under way, never waited for a bicycle or anything with wheels this long. Its suppose to ship from East Coast, figure by April 5th I should have it.
Old 03-25-14, 09:40 PM
rodaboss

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, same here. I have xt's and a Alfine8 hub waiting for the build. May take a bit longer to build with the hub work.
Old 04-11-14, 09:07 PM
cbr9927

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just picked it up today.
In person the bike looks a lot better than online pics. I was ready to cover up some of the colorful parts of the bike but when I saw it at the store there was no need, it looks just fine.
Clearly this bike is made for flat rodes and city areas and taking it into stores and up stairs. Its ideal for that, just don't think it will take away your regular bike. To me it can't, I ran out of breath trying to go up a hill that I made it with my Sirrus. The big tires are OK, not really adjusted to them yet coming from 23mm tires. Its the U Turn thing that feels funny, you turn and the tire is so small and feels like you are going to tip over but you're not.
It is slower than my Sirrus and takes more effort to ride fast, but I knew that coming in. Just wanted a change from every other bike you see on the road.

Last edited by cbr9927; 04-11-14 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-12-14, 04:19 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry,but I would have to give that the Krylon Touch.

If they're still 135 rear-spaced,you could always swap in an 5+spd hub to give you more range.

Old 04-12-14, 08:49 PM
cbr9927

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whats the slimmest tire I can put on this bike?
Old 04-12-14, 09:40 PM
smallwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
probably something like this:

--------|...........................|--------

note:
[image is not to scale. the author can not be held responsible for variance due to monitor size or other variables. the above representations are purely speculative and bear no relation to actual tire sizes. nor does the author endorse or approve expressly or in an implied manner any manufacturer or distributor of premium tires such as, but not necessarily limited to, Schwalbe, Primo, Maxxis, Michelin, Innova, or Panaracer.]
Old 04-12-14, 09:46 PM
smallwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

20" (406) x 1.25 panaracer minits lite.

schwalbe kojak 20x1.35

primo comet 20 x 1.35

Last edited by smallwheeler; 04-12-14 at 09:51 PM.
Old 04-13-14, 01:25 AM
cbr9927

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the stock tires are too big. Seem more natural to just go smaller width on the Hooligan.
Old 04-13-14, 04:40 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
406x17,Schwalbe says 25mm/1".

I think the stock tires are too big. Seem more natural to just go smaller width on the Hooligan.

I'd say they're a touch on the skinny side. I need to get around to mounting my 1.6" Marathon Supremes. My 8 has 1.5" Marathon Racers. YMMV,but DC's got crappy roads and I have mild CT.

Old 04-13-14, 08:13 PM
cbr9927

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally got in a full day of riding today, the bike in one word FUN.
Rode around Downtown and Seattle Center and a local park and just more fun than my regular bike and a lot less serious in feel. Hard to describe, its like how you felt when you were just learning to ride as a kid and the training wheels were taken off fun. Its worth the money, dealer gave me a 100 dollar off msrp. Thanks Greggs Cycle.
Old 08-23-14, 07:23 PM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I've been on the lookout for a decent, reasonably fast, and stronger 20" bike for my short commute, and not necessarily a folder. My Brompton is great, but the roads aren't so great, and I wouldn't mind a bike that's a bit more stout.

As it turns out... somebody local is actually selling a Hooligan. In the box, supposedly. The seller isn't too sure about the bike's specs (it was for his son I suspect), but from what I can glean, I think it's a green, 3 speed IGH, 2012 model. What I'd like to know is:

1. Can I attach a rear rack, if necessary? I know, it will probably look a bit dumb, but whatever...
2. Attach fenders?
3. I weigh 210 pounds - will the Hooligan be able to handle it? I'm under the impression that the 2014 model fork has been strengthened.
4. How much does the bike weigh?
5. Can I put Big Apple tires on?
6. Finally... if I wanted to, is it possible to replace the IGH with a cassette setup (say, 8 speeds)? If not, how about an 8 speed IGH?

And the seller is asking for $1000 (Cdn). That seems a little much for a bike 2 model years back, even if it is in the box. I don't have any real knowledge about this bike - any suggestions on counter offer amounts?

Thanks to anybody who can help!

Last edited by Ozonation; 08-23-14 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-24-14, 05:48 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ozonation
I think it's a green, 3 speed IGH, 2012 model. What I'd like to know is:
In the US,the derailleur models all had a regular fork,and haven't been offered in awhile. If it's green with a solo fork,it's a 3spd. Think Canada was the same.

1. Can I attach a rear rack, if necessary? I know, it will probably look a bit dumb, but whatever...
Yes,it has the mounts. Fit will be weird,due to the frame's size,but I've seen people do it.

2. Attach fenders?
The back,no prob. The front,you're going to have to MacGyver. There's no mounts,and the fork is suspension corrected,so it sits way up off the wheel.

3. I weigh 210 pounds - will the Hooligan be able to handle it? I'm under the impression that the 2014 model fork has been strengthened.
No prob.

4. How much does the bike weigh?
My '11 is 25lbs 4oz. Not sure how big of a difference some of the bits make(I have a SRAM hub,yours will be Shimano),but mine has Kojaks which will be lighter than the Kwests that bike comes with.

5. Can I put Big Apple tires on?
Yes.

6. Finally... if I wanted to, is it possible to replace the IGH with a cassette setup (say, 8 speeds)? If not, how about an 8 speed IGH?
Not without frame mods. The derailleur models have a hanger bolted onto the dropout,but the 3spds don't have anything. From comparing my two bikes,it looks like you'd have to drill holes in the dropout area to bolt a hanger on. Really strange how they did it.

And the seller is asking for $1000 (Cdn). That seems a little much for a bike 2 model years back, even if it is in the box. I don't have any real knowledge about this bike - any suggestions on counter offer amounts?
Seems a touch high,but these do hold their value. I've seen some go for basically new prices on eBay. Offer him cash and see what you can do.

Old 08-24-14, 06:06 PM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dynaryder
In the US,the derailleur models all had a regular fork,and haven't been offered in awhile. If it's green with a solo fork,it's a 3spd. Think Canada was the same.

Seems a touch high,but these do hold their value. I've seen some go for basically new prices on eBay. Offer him cash and see what you can do.
Thanks dynaryder! Much appreciated.

The seller got back to me with some pics... and lo and behold... it's the 8 speed cassette version. Surprise, surprise.

Your opinion on this bike as a short distance commuter/ride to the library/market? Not that my vanity has anything to do with actually considering a bright green bike..

I should add that the alternative I'm considering is a Dahon Silvertip, which I mentioned in other threads. I just wasn't really looking for or even expecting a Hooligan to show up, much less one locally. I can test ride the Hooligan: I can't for the Silvertip.

Last edited by Ozonation; 08-24-14 at 06:13 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.