Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Just got the Citizen Bike Barcelona...

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Just got the Citizen Bike Barcelona...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-10, 10:32 AM
BluePlate55

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Niked--Thanks, and I'm glad to hear you like the Tokyo! That was the only CB bike that I could really find a review of, and a blogger had a bad experience with it. She seemed to have a lemon--it just kept falling apart.

And Chuck, I am interested to see how it hold up over time. I'm in a temporary living situation for now and need a way to get around, so I suppose that as long as it lasts until I move, I'm happy--but I do hope it stays solid.

And no hard feelings about possible suspicious marketing ploys!! One of the things that I study is viral Internet trends... you'd think I'd have seen how over-the-top excitement about this bike could be headed...

And Ed, thanks for the explanation. The other bike I have was my first--I got into biking two years ago because I lived in a small town and figured I could get around without driving, but I'm still new to it and so the mechanics aren't something I know about. I do think my husband is going to get the Gotham, so it will be interesting to compare his greater gear range with mine. I'll report back!

Old 01-28-10, 10:34 AM
BluePlate55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgePaul
As an aside, I note that the Gotham2 comes in two sizes -- Medium and Large. Unusual for folding bikes.
Yes, and the Barcelona does, too! The recommended size switched at 5' 9". I'm very short (5' 2") and so got the medium. My husband will get the large, and I'll have to see how it feels. It will be interesting to see if its folded footprint is much larger.
Old 01-28-10, 11:01 AM
edwong3

Bikes: 2023 Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by BluePlate55
And Ed, thanks for the explanation. The other bike I have was my first--I got into biking two years ago because I lived in a small town and figured I could get around without driving, but I'm still new to it and so the mechanics aren't something I know about. I do think my husband is going to get the Gotham, so it will be interesting to compare his greater gear range with mine. I'll report back!

You're quite welcome Blueplate55! I think you but only need to know the most basics of bicycle mechanics to "survive". The one thing I believe you should learn is how to remove the rear wheel in case you need to change out the inner tube or tire. The Shimano internal gear hub has an assembly that's threaded on the axle that requires to be disconnected first before you can unbolt the wheel from the rear dropout (frame). I'm certain your Barcelona came with instructions, and I believe Citizen Bike has them on the website as well.

If by any chance you were to get a flat on the rear tire, you could always fix the puncture right on the rim without removing the wheel off the frame, and then simply re-inflate the tire.

I'll be most anxious to read a review on the Gotham2. I'm pretty certain there are a lot more Citizen Bike owners who are members of this forum, and with an upcoming CB G2 review, this would raise their profile here.

Happy trails,
Edward Wong III
Qile Duo 5 Speed 20" Folder
Old 02-01-10, 02:26 AM
DogBasket

Bikes: 1988 Cannondale SM600 mountain bike. Also 2009 Kickbike City Cruiser and two Go-Ped Know-Ped kick scooters.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The gearing seems quite nice so far. Shifting was incredibly smooth, and the 3rd gear provided a very comfortable amount of resistance for cruising on flat terrain (I'm in Florida--it's all flat here!). I'm not sure about going up hill yet, but I'll test it out as soon as I can find a slope.

I'm attaching pictures! It really is a lovely bike. The step-through design is super-comfortable, and gives it a nice, old-world feel. The basket definitely changes the profile when folded, though--it might even be big enough to make it a tricky commuter bike with the basket attached (I'm imagining it on a crowded train). Then again, the basket is nicely sized to hold a good amount of stuff.

The whole thing is about 30 pounds--I could easily carry it up the stairs. My husband is thinking of getting the CB Gotham2--he likes the streamlined, modern design. Personally, I can't imagine a better one than this.

Glad you have been happy with the lovely little Barcelona, and I hope you are still enjoying it. I am curious: how securely does it hold together when folded? And where on the frame do you lift it to carry it up stairs? Although it is not designed as a "commuter" bike, could you see yourself being able to carry it folded onto a bus every so often, if needed, or is it just too heavy/awkward to consider?
Old 02-01-10, 09:56 AM
BluePlate55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DogBasket--

This is an excellent question. It's actually pretty loose when folded. It will stay put if I stand it on the ground after folding, but when lifting or carrying, the handlebars swing around.

The bike came with a reflective velcro pant-leg cinch, and it's long enough that I've been using it to hold the bike together when folded. It wraps around each half of the bike, and around the handlebars, and when cinched tight, the bike stays tightly folded. Of course, this adds time to the folding process, but it works really well. Maybe that's what that strap was meant for, actually.

Since I'm using it for mainly shopping and going out for fun rather than commuting, I've actually been carrying it up the stairs unfolded most of the time. I can lift it by the back rack and the front of the U-bar, and hook the seat over my shoulder so that my arms aren't doing all the lifting (it's not that heavy, but I'm a little person). I got the medium frame, rather than the large, so I'm not sure how much bigger the large would be if I tried to carry it unfolded.

When I carry it folded, the horizontal bars of the built-in back-rack seem to be the most obvious carrying point. It's too heavy for me to carry with one arm, so I usually end up using both hands even when folded. Actually, I've been thinking of fashioning some kind of shoulder strap... something that could clip to the front of the U-bar and the rear rack, and then be slung over my shoulder. Now THAT would help with commuting. Anyone familiar with anything like that??

Honestly, I'm not sure how it would do on a bus. Not too heavy, but maybe too bulky, especially with the basket attached. In a pinch, it could probably do it just fine, but I don't think I'd get it if that were going to be part of regular travel. If I ever actually try public transportation with it, I'll let you know.

When my husband gets the Gotham2 (he's probably ordering it later this week), I'll take side-by-side pictures. I think that bike is more streamlined when folded (at least from the pictures on the website). We're visiting my in-laws later this month, and they have Dahons, so I'll see if I can get side-by-side pics on those, too.
Old 02-01-10, 10:02 AM
BluePlate55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, and I tried fiddling with the gears yesterday. The manual said that some adjusting would be necessary, so I checked it out, and it turned out that the settings were a bit off (it's clearly designed for a non-expert; my job was to turn a screw until a red line was in the right position--not too complicated!).

I haven't ridden far since then, but the short ride I got in makes me think that some of the issue with the highest gear not having quite enough resistance might have been addressed by the adjustment.
Old 02-01-10, 08:33 PM
edwong3

Blueplate55,

Quite possibly you we not getting 3rd gear before making this adjustment. If that was the case, now you'll be able to cruise at faster speeds.

Looking forward to your husband's (and yours!) impressions on the Gotham2 when it arrives. Good luck!

Edward Wong III
Qile Duo 5 Speed 20" Folder

Oh, and I tried fiddling with the gears yesterday. The manual said that some adjusting would be necessary, so I checked it out, and it turned out that the settings were a bit off (it's clearly designed for a non-expert; my job was to turn a screw until a red line was in the right position--not too complicated!).

I haven't ridden far since then, but the short ride I got in makes me think that some of the issue with the highest gear not having quite enough resistance might have been addressed by the adjustment.
Old 02-01-10, 11:18 PM
DogBasket

Bikes: 1988 Cannondale SM600 mountain bike. Also 2009 Kickbike City Cruiser and two Go-Ped Know-Ped kick scooters.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DogBasket--

The bike came with a reflective velcro pant-leg cinch, and it's long enough that I've been using it to hold the bike together when folded. It wraps around each half of the bike, and around the handlebars, and when cinched tight, the bike stays tightly folded. Of course, this adds time to the folding process, but it works really well. Maybe that's what that strap was meant for, actually.
Excellent solution for holding the bike together -- I also use a small velcro strap to hold shut my small folding Go-Ped Know-Ped solid rubber tire kick scooter, and it proved the perfect solution. The Know-Ped has a small, flat metal hook permanently attached to the handlebars, which is supposed to keep the scooter folded, but this ONLY works when one is carrying it. Set it down...the hook disengages -- a poor design in an otherwise marvelously sturdy and handy "MADE IN USA" product which I have ridden steadily since August 2009.

Question -- what are the folded dimensions of the Barcelona? The Citizen Bike website does not indicate this. Perhaps you could seek out a bike bag w/a carrying strap, which would match the Barcelona's dimensions??

Looking forward to future photos of the soon-to-arrive Gotham2 w/the Barcelona and the Dahons
Old 02-03-10, 06:51 AM
Rosie8

Bikes: Giant Simple 7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey BluePlate55, maybe you could adapt the yoga straps that I see at Target. It is a strap that goes over the shoulder with 2 loops at each end that can velcro around the rolled up yoga mat.
Old 02-05-10, 11:32 AM
BluePlate55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rosie8--

That is brilliant!! I went to a local sporting goods store to see if I could find any yoga mat straps, and the ones they had were all elastic, rather than velcro. BUT, while I was in the yoga section, I found a yoga workout strap--a long woven cotton strap (kind of looks like a cotton seat belt--I don't do yoga, so I'm not sure what one does with it in a yoga class...). It was only $4, so I bought it and picked up some velcro as well, and fashioned a carrying strap.

Thanks for the fabulous idea!
Old 02-07-10, 05:12 PM
Rosie8

Bikes: Giant Simple 7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad my idea inspired your ingenuity. I love it when people can repurpose something to suit their needs.

FYI - the yoga strap can be used for stretching. When you are lying on the floor, you loop it around your foot while holding both ends of the strap. You swing your straightened leg vertically and over to the opposite side to stretch the leg, back, etc.

Last edited by Rosie8; 02-07-10 at 05:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-09-10, 02:02 PM
BluePlate55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just posted some pics of the Gotham2 that arrived for my husband, and I thought I'd post this one here, too!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG00205-20100209-1439.jpg (90.0 KB, 253 views)
Old 02-13-10, 08:03 AM
Niked

Bikes: 2009 Downtube FS8, 1970 Raleigh Gran Prix, 2009 Citizen Tokyo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice! You're going to attract a lot of friendly attention with those rides.
Old 07-11-10, 08:27 AM
bbestone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm new to the forum, but I am considering buying the Barcelona. I have a small 2003 Thunderbird and want to take the bike down the Jersey shore and local parks to exercise my springer spaniel dog and need a folding bike for portability. My concern is the basket on the Barcelona and that fitting into my small trunk. I know I'll have to bungee cord the trunk lid down as it won't entirely fit in ( it's a sma-l-l- car!) Can you quickly or easily take the basket off? And would you think other manufacturers baskets would fit onto the handle bars?
Old 07-12-10, 06:31 PM
SunnyFlorida

Bikes: Sun Miami Trike - 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was also looking at the Citizen Barcelona too and read the glowing reviews from BluePlate on it. However, I wanted to read more of a follow-up on the bike, after the "honeymoon" phase of ownership had past.

However, I don't see any more posts from BluePlate past the month she started this thread.

At this point, I've decided on a Dahon model instead.

Hope BluePlate does come back to answer your inquiry.

Last edited by SunnyFlorida; 07-15-10 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-16-10, 09:32 PM
stoogeswoman
Stooges Woman

Bikes: Electra Townie, Schwinn Loop. Schwinn Hinge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm really interested in this - currently I have and ride an Electra Townie, and while I love it, it's difficult to transport (I have a bike rack but would really prefer to have it INSIDE the car for super-long trips). This Barcelona looks very similar in design (cruiser, step-through, etc.) - am curious to know if it is as comfortable to ride as it looks?
Old 07-19-10, 08:45 AM
bbestone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SunnyFlorida
I was also looking at the Citizen Barcelona too and read the glowing reviews from BluePlate on it. However, I wanted to read more of a follow-up on the bike, after the "honeymoon" phase of ownership had past.

However, I don't see any more posts from BluePlate past the month she started this thread.

At this point, I've decided on a Dahon model instead.

Hope BluePlate does come back to answer your inquiry.
After calling a few good bike shops here in NJ and finding their opinons, I decided on a Dahon Glide. I found it used and in perfect condition on Craigs list and for a reasonably low price. The bike shops all had the same to say about the Citizen bikes after having them in for service ( as you can't buy them in a store except online!) and that they did not rec ommend them. I love the Glide with it's 24" wheels and it folds fast and effortlessly and feels and rides solid like a regular bike. I was concerned about the 20" wheels on the barecelona. As I had mentioned I'll be using the bike for exercise with my dog/s and have just purchased a quick release device that hooks to the post of the bike seat---it's called Walky Dog Bicycle Leash-(-this way both the dogs and I will be getting a better exercise than just walking). Its a quick release so I can use it and when done, just release and fold the bike down. I haven't got a bike basket for it yet, but I'm thinking of one for just over the handle bars. Good luck to everyone on their folding bikes!!
Old 07-22-10, 12:18 PM
ponglo

Bikes: Dahon Speed D7, Brompton M6R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the update bbestone. congrats on finding the Glide. would love to get a Ciao - I like the 20" wheels.
Old 07-22-10, 05:17 PM
BikeKraft
BikingYupik

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
..OK, so I ordered a Barcelona this afternoon. Green with basket. No more size choice for some reason.
I'm not connected with Citizen Bike (or any other bike company) so I'll give a review in a week or so.
It's actually for my wife, she fell in love with it.
We shall see.
Just seems I could not get a definitive answer as far as quality is concerned.
So hold your order!!!
Be back soon.
Old 07-22-10, 08:11 PM
SunnyFlorida

Bikes: Sun Miami Trike - 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool. Thanks. Looking forward to your review.

I've already ordered a Dahon but the more feedback we get on new bikes, the better the decision a potentially new folder owner can make.

Last edited by SunnyFlorida; 07-22-10 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-22-10, 10:42 PM
edwong3

Well the person who started this thread, "BluePlate55" I believe, has not participated in the forum in months. Her further input on the Barcelona after having owned it for a while would have been most helpful.

I bet your wife is most excited, and can hardly wait to finally ride it when it gets there.
Old 07-22-10, 11:26 PM
miamimike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice price on Citizen 6 speeds if you are in Miami:
https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/bik/1857474532.html

Last edited by miamimike; 07-22-10 at 11:27 PM. Reason: sp
Old 07-23-10, 11:46 AM
BluePlate55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still riding the Barcelona, and still loving it!!

Was on the road for a few months, so I wasn't riding much or posting, but I've got the bike home with me now and have been making regular trips to our farmer's marker with it.

For the basket question (though I think the question is moot now--sorry!), it's definitely NOT easy to get on and off! I took it off when I put the bike in my car for my cross-country journey, but it's not a quick removal thing. Easy enough for a once in a while removal, but not daily.

I've got to say,the bike has held up really well. No loose joints or anything. I still think that the highest gear could offer a bit more resistance, but I will say that getting up and down hills is pretty darn easy, which is a plus.

The one possible issue that I've discovered: I got a flat on my rear tire a week or so ago, and I had a friend who works at a bike shop come over to help me replace the tube (since it's the internal hub wheel, I didn't want to mess with it without input from someone who knows what they're doing), and it was surprisingly tricky!

My friend said that from all that he'd heard about how user-friendly Citizen bikes are, he'd expected it to be much easier. But we got the job done, and I'm back on the road with it.

I'll try to answer other questions in a more timely manner, now that I'm more settled!
Old 07-23-10, 09:23 PM
edwong3

Welcome back BluePlate! As you can see, we missed you!
Old 07-28-10, 09:39 AM
rosiebud

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BTW - BluePlate how is your Barcelona working for you?

did you ever mention how tall you are?? Or should I say how short you are? LOL!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.