Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Bike Friday eTikit Folding electric bike...

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Bike Friday eTikit Folding electric bike...

Old 04-20-10, 07:33 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Cool Bike Friday eTikit Folding electric bike...

I've been testing 2 electric bike kits from Power in Motion on a couple Bike Friday Tikit folding bikes for the past month. I've owned a Tikit for over 2 years, but this is my first e-bike experience. Here is my review of one of the kits.

I'm a e-bike newbie so if I got anything wrong or if you think I should explain something better about the e-bike kits please feel free to comment.
Old 04-20-10, 10:18 AM
nwmtnbkr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vik

I've been testing 2 electric bike kits from Power in Motion on a couple Bike Friday Tikit folding bikes for the past month. I've owned a Tikit for over 2 years, but this is my first e-bike experience. Here is my review of one of the kits.

I'm a e-bike newbie so if I got anything wrong or if you think I should explain something better about the e-bike kits please feel free to comment.
It will be interesting to see if Bike Friday really embraces an e-Tikit. They're looking at the conversion that Power-in-Motion did to regular Tikits. They've got their own videos, post-dating Power-in-Motion's first video showing their early conversion.

I won't hold my breath waiting for Bike Friday to begin selling e-Tikits. Maybe Power-in-Motion can convince them, but I'm inclined to say you ultimately won't see them sold, but will need to convert a Tikit on your own.
Old 04-20-10, 12:13 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nwmtnbkr
It will be interesting to see if Bike Friday really embraces an e-Tikit. They're looking at the conversion that Power-in-Motion did to regular Tikits. They've got their own videos, post-dating Power-in-Motion's first video showing their early conversion.

I won't hold my breath waiting for Bike Friday to begin selling e-Tikits. Maybe Power-in-Motion can convince them, but I'm inclined to say you ultimately won't see them sold, but will need to convert a Tikit on your own.
I can't say either way, but having installed a Power in Motion kit on my buddy's Tikit it takes all of 1hr and the only extra part you are buying is the original Tikit front wheel. I'd want that to be able to swap in for non-e-assist rides in any case.

I think all BF has to do is accept the eTikit kit as not affecting the warranty and beyond that it would be cool if they sold the kit, but not really essential.
Old 04-22-10, 04:23 PM
kcweb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nwmtnbkr
It will be interesting to see if Bike Friday really embraces an e-Tikit. They're looking at the conversion that Power-in-Motion did to regular Tikits. I won't hold my breath waiting for Bike Friday to begin selling e-Tikits. Maybe Power-in-Motion can convince them, but I'm inclined to say you ultimately won't see them sold, but will need to convert a Tikit on your own.
nwmtnbkr:

This is Ken from Power-In-Motion, I just came back from a trip to BikeFriday two weeks ago. They are working with us on this. Everyone from BikeFriday is buying into the e-Tikit concept. This included the production manager, service manager, and the market manager. We did not have to convince them, they have customers show up at their door is asking for detail of these product. In fact, they wanted us to go ahead with full promotion, I have to tell them to slow down. Because of Vik's evaluation and feedback, we are taking his suggestion and improve the current product to version 2, we are hoping it will be be ready in 45 days. The product will most likely sell through BikeFriday dealer network. The new version will have flexibility to extend the range for longer distance. It is truly one of its kind!
Old 04-29-10, 07:25 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

eTikit Review part 2 is posted on my blog....