Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Question regarding Cape Cod bike trail

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-11, 08:28 AM
Chalupa102

Bikes: Catrike Trail Recumbent trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm thinking about taking my Boy Scout troop to Cape Cod to do some cycling sometime this year to finish up our 50-miler award. If I'm not mistaken, the longest trail is 26 miles one-way. We would go down and back to complete 50 miles. I'm also planning to make it a weekend, so we would be camping somewhere around the area.

For anyone who has any knowledge of the trail and/or the area, I have a few questions:

I'm sure some boys and adults would want to bring their own bikes (like myself), but I know there would be some who would need a bike for the day. We would need bikes for kids ages 12-17 and bikes for adults as well. I know you can rent bikes there, but how are they and what are the rates?

Do they offer group discounts?

How is the trail itself?

We would need a place to camp Friday and Saturday night. We would be camping out of tents and cooking food over a fire or over portable gas grills. Are there any areas specifically Boy Scout friendly?

I haven't came up with a set date yet, but I'm thinking somewhere between May to Sept. When would be the best time to go?

Any other thoughts or info that might be helpful?
Old 02-03-11, 09:30 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
The trail itself has a few places that are not very scenic. Google "Nickerson State Park" to see about camping. Most places will not allow camping unless in a campground. I never rented any bikes there. Look at a map and google "bike rentals" for a nearby town. Any time of year is OK.
My suggestion is, if you are going to bring a large group, pre ride the route first alone or with another cyclist and see where bathrooms food etc are. The maps are OK.
Old 02-03-11, 10:44 AM
LongIslandTom
Señor Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode the Cape Cod Rail Trail last year, starting from the trailhead parking lot in South Dennis on Rt. 134, all the way to the other end at Wellfleet. The entire trail was repaved 3 years ago and it was still in very good shape when I went, and obviously it was pretty flat (virtually no hills). My cyclometer says my total round trip was 42 miles (it might be off).

There are various bike shops along the rail trail with rentals available, but I'm not so sure having kids ride such a distance on rental bikes is a good idea.

The other end of the Rail Trail at Wellfleet is just a parking lot in the woods with a connecting street to Route 6.. Not much to see there unfortunately, unless your Boy Scout troop are willing to brave Route 6 (2 lane highway with varying shoulder widths) to head further up Cape Cod into the town of Wellfleet Center itself.
Old 02-03-11, 04:07 PM
GRedner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LongIslandTom
The other end of the Rail Trail at Wellfleet is just a parking lot in the woods with a connecting street to Route 6.. Not much to see there unfortunately, unless your Boy Scout troop are willing to brave Route 6 (2 lane highway with varying shoulder widths) to head further up Cape Cod into the town of Wellfleet Center itself.
Untrue!

If you take a right turn out of that parking lot, the road winds up to Ocean View Drive, which runs right along bluffs overlooking the ocean. There are a bunch of national seashore beaches there which are worth checking out, and parking is free (I think) for bikes. If you continue up that way about a mile, you can take a left at Long Pond Rd, which winds down through the woods and crosses an overpass over Rt. 6, and right into Wellfleet town center without having to deal with the highway traffic. If you're really adventurous, you can look into the Saltonstall bikeway (of which the rail trail is a part) which runs north all the way to Provincetown.

I should also add that about 1/4 mile from the parking lot (on the left, towards rt. 6) is a little commercial area with a bakery called The Blue Willow which makes the best muffins I have ever had.

In terms of timing - the summer season is in full swing from June to August, meaning that the trail will be crowded during the day, and campgrounds/restaurants/etc. will be busy. If I were doing this, I'd aim for early September.
Old 02-03-11, 06:04 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by GRedner
Untrue!

If you take a right turn out of that parking lot, the road winds up to Ocean View Drive, which runs right along bluffs overlooking the ocean. There are a bunch of national seashore beaches there which are worth checking out, and parking is free (I think) for bikes. If you continue up that way about a mile, you can take a left at Long Pond Rd, which winds down through the woods and crosses an overpass over Rt. 6, and right into Wellfleet town center without having to deal with the highway traffic. If you're really adventurous, you can look into the Saltonstall bikeway (of which the rail trail is a part) which runs north all the way to Provincetown.

I should also add that about 1/4 mile from the parking lot (on the left, towards rt. 6) is a little commercial area with a bakery called The Blue Willow which makes the best muffins I have ever had.

In terms of timing - the summer season is in full swing from June to August, meaning that the trail will be crowded during the day, and campgrounds/restaurants/etc. will be busy. If I were doing this, I'd aim for early September.
Good advice.

Given the time they should also do the Provinceland trails. Or just people watching in Ptown. Have you ever climbed the tower in Ptown? I have not.

In the nice weather a week day ride will not be as crowded.
Old 02-05-11, 08:08 AM
bktourer1

Bikes: Diamondback "parkway" Spec. "expedition

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Take the CCRT connection to Chatham. On the trail are several bike rentals. for camping Nickerson/Shady Knoll in Brewster & Atlantic Oaks n Eastham just off the trail. I think there is a rental next to Nickerson in the parking lot
Old 02-06-11, 11:06 AM
stubrielles

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cross off the first week in August as a date. That is PMC (Pan Mass Challange) weekend and approx 4000 riders will be going along that route so it tends to get a little crowded.
Can you can 28mph paceline?
Old 02-08-11, 02:51 PM
Chalupa102

Bikes: Catrike Trail Recumbent trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks a lot everyone for the feedback.

Originally Posted by GRedner
Untrue!

I'll definitely have to check those routes out. Sounds like it would be a good time. I'm looking at the beginning of September to organize this, as suggested. That would probably work the best for my troop because we have a pretty busy and tight schedule from now until roughly the end of August.
Old 02-09-11, 07:07 AM
mcccliv

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Consider staying at one of the hostels in the area: low cost, very comfortable, and accommodate groups.

https://www.hihostels.com/dba/cmap-US.en.htm

There are two close to the trail:
HI - Eastham: 75 Goody Hallet Drive, Eastham MA 02642
HI - Truro: North Pamet Rd, Truro MA 02666