Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

3x drivetrain L/R spacing question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

3x drivetrain L/R spacing question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-24, 10:53 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Have you actually calculated that angle?

A few years ago I did a rough estimate because of the ongoing cross chaining argument. It is easy math. The angle is quite small at the extremes. The result of changes in cassette is frightfully minute.

I can’t imagine increasing chainstay length while maintaining good design geometry would have any appreciable difference.

Wading around in tenths, more appropriately minutes, of a degree is pretty far into the weeds.

Johh
OK - longer is better, but not enough for anyone to notice
Old 04-12-24, 10:55 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by KCT1986
He is probably referring to the numbers on the shifter indicator. 3 (large chainring), 2 (mid), 1 (small), and 7 (outermost sprocket), ...1 (innermost sprocket). So, 37 if something like 42T front, 11T rear....
Yes, this is correct.
Old 04-12-24, 11:10 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,170 Times in 1,324 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
Also, I am a fan of the mountain bike style shift levers that I have. You can literally "feel" with the side of your knuckle what gear you are in without looking or moving your hands. No other style of shifter has this benefit.
If you like that, you should pair it with a Rapid Rise RD. Nothing dumps a cassette (high to low) faster than an RR; with the possible exception of a downtube shifter. It is like single trigger paintball.

The only issue is if you don't anticipate and make the change soon enough. Then there is a good chance you get to stop and pick up the pieces of the RD as there is no way that return spring will get the chain into the large cog under load.

John
Old 04-12-24, 11:47 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 378 Posts
Let's say that you are rolling down a small hill to the bottom and then climbing out the other side. And let's say that at the bottom you are in your highest gear, but climbing back up you will need your lowest gear.

Because it all happens so fast, you don't use every possible gear. You're going to do every click on the rear shifter and only make the two shifts on the front. The question is when to make them.

Here's the same idea with nomenclature:

My bike has:

Do I go through
or
or
or something else?
I'd like to have this particular highest to lowest shifting pattern pretty well practiced and memorized because it is a fundamental part of riding the bike that I don't want to think about too much in traffic.
  • I usually do 2-3 shifts of the rear from the big chainring.
  • Then I shift to the middle ring and adjust the rear if needed, usually just 1 shift back down (harder)
  • Then I do 3-4 shifts of the rear from the middle chainring
  • Then I shift to the granny ring and adjust the rear if needed, usually 2 shifts back down (harder)
  • Then I do 3-4 shift of the rear from the granny ring
EDIT: On my bike with bar-end shifters, this minimizes double shifts. On my bike with trigger shifters, double shifts aren't as big a deal.
Insta: JohnMichaelFlores | TikTok: @johnnymotoflores
Old 04-12-24, 11:49 AM
stratman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Some examples:
11 means the easiest gear to pedal front and back (the lowest gear possible on the bike)
12 means the easiest gear in front, the second easiest in back
21 means the middle gear in front, the easiest in back
27 means the middle gear in front, the hardest in back
37 means the hardest gear to pedal in front and in back (top speed in this ratio)

The first digit (1, 2, or 3) corresponds to the small, middle or big gear on the front. The second digit (1-7) corresponds to the back gear (largest=1, smallest=7).

I like visualizing the gears this way. For example, I try to start from a stop in "22" and then shift up to "23", then "24". The two digits together make a number that roughly corresponds to how fast I will go in that gear. I think of the front gear in the "10s" place because it makes a bigger difference.

Also, I am a fan of the mountain bike style shift levers that I have. You can literally "feel" with the side of your knuckle what gear you are in without looking or moving your hands. No other style of shifter has this benefit.
Ah, I see, thanks.

I don't obsess about exactly where I change from big ring to middle ring to small ring, to be honest. Generally speaking I would rather make changes on the rear than the front. So I won't go up to the big ring, which is a bit of an effort, if I think I'm not going to be there for very long. I'll just stay in a small rear sprocket for a bit, if I can see I'll not need to be there for long.
Likes For stratman:
Old 04-12-24, 02:11 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
I think it makes sense to think of your chain rings as "ranges" of gear ratios, using the left side shifter (controlling the front derailleur) to change between these different ranges. Think of them as low-speed, mid-speed, and high-speed. You use your left shifter to switch between these ranges and then you use your right side shifter (controlling the rear derailleur) to fine-tune your pedal cadence. If your speed changes pretty quickly (on either a sharp decline or a sharp incline), you'll be shifting pretty rapidly on the right shifter to keep up and you'll find that you quickly run out of range...it'll likely either get too hard to pedal or too fast to pedal pretty quickly. Rather than doing that, this is where you'd use your left shifter instead to either step up a range or step down a range. (Of course, if it's a REALLY dramatic change in speed, you may need to use both the left and right shifters to adjust accordingly.)
Old 04-12-24, 02:15 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Some examples:I like visualizing the gears this way. For example, I try to start from a stop in "22" and then shift up to "23", then "24". The two digits together make a number that roughly corresponds to how fast I will go in that gear. I think of the front gear in the "10s" place because it makes a bigger difference.
Sure, this makes sense. If you're riding on a multi-use path or in a typical mid-speed commuting environment, keep the front in "2"...that's your "mid-speed" range. Start from 2-1 or 2-2, and use your right shifter to traverse between 2-1 and 2-7. You may never end up going into "1" or "3" on the front unless facing something more dramatic, like a large uphill or downhill. If going downhill and you're in 2-6 or 2-7, and you want faster, then you click up into 3-6 or 3-7, and can work in the "3" or "high-speed" range for a while. If the road flattens out or even goes uphill slightly, go back to the "2" or "mid-speed" range.