Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

6" of snow for tomorrow late afternoon

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 04-26-19, 06:37 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts

What is going on here? Late April and getting winter storm warnings! I hate Michigan weather, have always hated it, and wish I had not come back so long ago. My wife won't leave, ever. Her family is here whereas my family is spread out across the US so I have no roots to hold me here other than the Mrs., and I am not going to leave her just because Michigan weather sucks! Even my kids got the heck out of the state as soon as they got a degree and a job.They promise they will never go back. How did they get so darn smart?

FYI: Michigan weather sucks.

Rant over.
Old 04-26-19, 07:01 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
Chicagoan here. When I rode my bike 40 years ago it was a perpetual west/southwest wind in the Spring. Warm air blowing in from the southwest. Aided many a home run out of Wrigley Field too, where 20 run games were almost common in April and May. Now it seems like a perpetual northeast wind blowing in off Lake Michigan until mid June. The other day we had a southeast wind! Air temp close to 60 degrees and going into the SE wind got you darn cold. Thats just weird.
Old 04-26-19, 07:04 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Gross! We're actually having a good spring here, but not so good further west.
Old 04-26-19, 07:15 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
What is going on here? Late April and getting winter storm warnings! I hate Michigan weather, have always hated it, and wish I had not come back so long ago. My wife won't leave, ever. Her family is here whereas my family is spread out across the US so I have no roots to hold me here other than the Mrs., and I am not going to leave her just because Michigan weather sucks! Even my kids got the heck out of the state as soon as they got a degree and a job.They promise they will never go back. How did they get so darn smart?

FYI: Michigan weather sucks.

Rant over.
You have to love four distinct seasons. That's what keeps me here. It will melt in no time.

Count your blessings..

https://w2.weather.gov/dtx/talesmay

Last edited by bobwysiwyg; 04-26-19 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-26-19, 07:30 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
Kwityer*****in, get a fat bike to ride in the snow!
Old 04-26-19, 07:40 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I used the trainer tonight because of 20 mph winds in Indy today. Not worth getting out on the bike in those conditions, IMO.

Sometimes you just have to make lemonade.
Old 04-26-19, 08:05 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
30 km/h headwinds on my 20 km ride to work this morning in the driving rain, then 40 km/h headwind on the way home. So, two hours of riding into a headwind today. I guess I still wouldn't trade it for snow.
Old 04-26-19, 08:07 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Four years ago when my daughter was moving to Madison WI from the SF Bay Area, she was so enthusiastic about it. She was excited with the real estate market in Madison and took every opportunity to point out “great deals” on properties. I tried to explain to her that there’s a reason the houses are so much cheaper there. I tried to explain how the snow that we visit and play around in is a regular part of daily life in Madison during the winter, and how it’s just not the same. Fast forward four winters and now she’s “done with it.” Needless to say, this late snowstorm isn’t helping.

-Kedosto
*upper 70’s and sunny*
Old 04-26-19, 08:20 PM
steve0257

Bikes: Raleigh Port Townsend, Raleigh Tourist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Better than the 10 inches we got in May a few years back. Fun part of that is I go from home to customer site, and it didn't snow where my manager lived. He couldn't get it through his head that 70 miles south of him there was wet heavy snow and trees down on the roads. Yelled at me for not getting to service calls that day at customers who were closed because of the weather.
Old 04-26-19, 10:05 PM
rnothog

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2; 2016 Giant Roam 1

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Someone from someplace sunny always has to chime in. So permit me...

Triple digit day here in Phoenix. One of the first of many. Got in 20 miles before noon. It was about 90 by the time I started, and 93 when I finished. My old bones and fake hips like the heat. I don’t mind it too much until it gets north of 105...and it always seems there’s about 3 to 4 months of that...

Weather gets you one way, or another, but I prefer not shoveling it.
Likes For rnothog:
Old 04-26-19, 10:23 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
Four years ago when my daughter was moving to Madison WI from the SF Bay Area, she was so enthusiastic about it. She was excited with the real estate market in Madison and took every opportunity to point out “great deals” on properties. I tried to explain to her that there’s a reason the houses are so much cheaper there. I tried to explain how the snow that we visit and play around in is a regular part of daily life in Madison during the winter, and how it’s just not the same. Fast forward four winters and now she’s “done with it.” Needless to say, this late snowstorm isn’t helping.

-Kedosto
*upper 70’s and sunny*
I've lived in Madison for just over 20 years. I grew up in Michigan, and lived in Texas for a few years. Some people love it, others hate it. I commute to work by bike, every day, year-round. I only drive to work if I need the car for some extraordinary reason.

The Bay Area is kind of an epicenter for some technologies that I'm interested in, so I read a lot of chat about housing in and around SF. I'm pretty sure climate is not the reason why housing in SF is expensive. There are some pretty bizarre economics and demographics that are unique to that area. And hearing it from the people who live there, it's practically dystopian.

I visited the Oyster Point area, and during my stay, I took some long walks. It was indeed dystopian. I saw no stores or restaurants, save for the hotels that were in the area. I saw practically no signs of human life except for cars driving around. There was a long paved path along the waterfront, and it was virtually deserted, even during the evening. Even in the depth of winter in Madison, you will see people outdoors, engaging with their surroundings.

Madison doesn't have a flood of venture capital money, and foreign money laundering, driving up the price of real estate. What I've observed is that it's pretty stable. For instance, in my neighborhood, housing prices didn't skyrocket during the 2000's bubble, but they also didn't crash in 2008.

And it gets weirder. The Twin Cities are considered to be even more bike-friendly, despite having an even more severe winter.

By the way, I'm not bashing SF, but just trying to offer a perspective to support the fact that people like different places for different reasons.

Last edited by Gresp15C; 04-26-19 at 10:37 PM.
Old 04-27-19, 08:55 AM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by rnothog
Someone from someplace sunny always has to chime in. So permit me...

Triple digit day here in Phoenix. One of the first of many. Got in 20 miles before noon. It was about 90 by the time I started, and 93 when I finished. My old bones and fake hips like the heat. I don’t mind it too much until it gets north of 105...and it always seems there’s about 3 to 4 months of that...

Weather gets you one way, or another, but I prefer not shoveling it.
I live where cold is the way of life and I’ve adapted.

Cycling track near Abu Dhabi

But I was recently cycling in the UAE which has a climate much like Phoenix- with beaches. While I was there it seldom got above 40C and I found it reasonably comfortable to ride up to about the high 30s. I was amazed by their developing cycling infrastructure. They had numerous paved cycling tracks, some 30 - 40 km long, that wound through the desert and were lit their entire length by solar powered lighting. Dubai itself (one of the 7 Emirates) has plans for 800km of such trails, although I doubt they’ll be lit the whole way. Seems to me the ideal way for people is very hot climates to be able to enjoy cycling. Anything like that in AZ?
Old 04-27-19, 09:32 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I've lived in Madison for just over 20 years. I grew up in Michigan, and lived in Texas for a few years. Some people love it, others hate it. I commute to work by bike, every day, year-round. I only drive to work if I need the car for some extraordinary reason.

The Bay Area is kind of an epicenter for some technologies that I'm interested in, so I read a lot of chat about housing in and around SF. I'm pretty sure climate is not the reason why housing in SF is expensive. There are some pretty bizarre economics and demographics that are unique to that area. And hearing it from the people who live there, it's practically dystopian.

I visited the Oyster Point area, and during my stay, I took some long walks. It was indeed dystopian. I saw no stores or restaurants, save for the hotels that were in the area. I saw practically no signs of human life except for cars driving around. There was a long paved path along the waterfront, and it was virtually deserted, even during the evening. Even in the depth of winter in Madison, you will see people outdoors, engaging with their surroundings.

Madison doesn't have a flood of venture capital money, and foreign money laundering, driving up the price of real estate. What I've observed is that it's pretty stable. For instance, in my neighborhood, housing prices didn't skyrocket during the 2000's bubble, but they also didn't crash in 2008.

And it gets weirder. The Twin Cities are considered to be even more bike-friendly, despite having an even more severe winter.

By the way, I'm not bashing SF, but just trying to offer a perspective to support the fact that people like different places for different reasons.
Absolutely no offense taken. Bash away if you wish. I would say that Oyster Bay isn’t the best place to get a sense of the area but then neither is Berkeley or Atherton. There are plenty of extremes around here and it’s not easy to describe.

The truth is the climate is about the only thing keeping us in the area any more. Well, that and the fact that we’re anchored in with our jobs and a few properties. But as we’re nearing retirement our plan is to cash out and retreat to someplace “normal.”

Madison is a great city. My daughter and her husband really REALLY like it, but they’re both Bay Area natives and the winters there are a little more than they bargained for. This last winter was (and apparently it’s still going) particularly hard hitting for them.

We’ve spent some time in and around Madison and honestly if it wasn’t for the winters, the area would be on our short-list. There’s plenty to love. But, the kids have made it clear they’re not staying and we’d like to be near, so, we’ll see how it goes.

Anybody know where we can find a Midwestern lifestyle with a Bay Area climate? Oh, and the kids will need jobs too.

-Kedosto
Old 04-27-19, 10:02 AM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Some years , even snow birding don’t work.
Left SoCal to come home (AK) to snow.
lots of daylight, better weather coming
patience, don’t know of any perfect 24/7/365
riding climate.
Old 04-27-19, 10:03 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
We’ve spent some time in and around Madison and honestly if it wasn’t for the winters, the area would be on our short-list. There’s plenty to love. But, the kids have made it clear they’re not staying and we’d like to be near, so, we’ll see how it goes.

Anybody know where we can find a Midwestern lifestyle with a Bay Area climate? Oh, and the kids will need jobs too.
It's snowing!

Well, the Midwest extends pretty far south, so you can kind of choose your climate. I've heard things about Nashville. Fort Worth TX was effectively Midwestern in my experience. And I think the lifestyle varies more by the size of your city than its region. The things my family can do in Madison, wouldn't be possible if we lived in a Chicago suburb. I can ride my bike home from work, have supper, and head downtown to play music, attend the symphony, etc., while holding down regular work hours.

Jobs are always a toss-up. Smaller towns have less efficient labor markets. There's nothing like SF if you're a computer programmer and win the FAANG lottery. You can live with 5 other guys in a hovel for a few years, then pay cash for a house in the Midwest on what you can save, or retire at 30. If you're a schoolteacher, then it's a different equation. Occupations like health care and general management are probably somewhere in between.
Old 04-27-19, 10:22 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
Didn't know if I should cut the grass before the storm arrives. Plow is still on the truck though. I'll have to climb over some bikes to get the snow shovel.
Old 04-27-19, 11:26 AM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
I'll have to climb over some bikes to get the snow shovel.

Old 04-27-19, 01:24 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Oh good, a chance to whine about this winter in the Midwest.

Let's see. Here in Chicago this winter we:
1. Set a record for the coldest temperature ever recorded in Chicago. This is Chicago, it's cold here. Setting a record for cold is a big deal.
2. Set a record for the most consecutive days with precipitation at 34 days. The previous record? 19 days. We didn't just set the record, we destroyed it. It f^&*ing rained or snowed measurably EVERY DAY FOR 34 DAYS STRAIGHT. Commuting was a mess. Every. GD. Day. Cycling was completely out. Everything was dirty and gritty for months. The dog didn't want to go outside. This is the first winter in maybe 20 where I haven't done any winter mountain biking of any sort. It simply wasn't possible... ever. The trails were either Zamboni-smooth ice or unridable mud pits. Which leads me to #3 :
3. It never snowed enough for good fatbiking conditions. It would snow/rain/sleet/crap half an inch (every day) and then refreeze overnight. Eventually everything was a ice skating rink. Cold temperatures don't dissuade me from riding. I'm more than fine with real amounts of snow, 6" of fresh snow is great for fatbiking. The one thing that prevents any type of cycling or running outside is the one thing we had for three months straight: epic amounts of glass smooth glare ice.
4. It seemed like the weather all winter was hell bent on the worst possible timing for weather, always. It would start snowing at 2:30 on a Friday... just so that the commute home was truly screwed up. It would rain lightly at 33 degrees to get all of the trees wet at dusk... and then just slightly dip below freezing as the sun set to coat everything in heavy ice and crack limbs. It would be relatively OK and sunny Mon-Thurs while I was work. Friday afternoon, like clockwork, the clouds would roll in, it would start snow and the weekend would be complete crap. Monday? Oh Monday the sun would come back! Of f&*(ing course!
5. This spring has been no better. Constant 28 mph soul crushing headwinds are a given here in the spring. I can live with that, it gets you in shape for the summer. But... we've had not one but TWO giant snow storms in April. Sure, it snows here in April, but not SEVEN INCHES like we had two weeks ago or EIGHT INCHES like we're supposed to have today. This is not normal.

This combined with the taxes makes me seriously question my life choices.

Last edited by Hiro11; 04-27-19 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-27-19, 01:29 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Yep! Fun snow here in western Wisconsin, as well. I really can't complain, as I already got in 90 miles of road cycling and farmer-tan progress this week, with the longer daylight this time of year.

Every place has a trade off. I'll take this over the Deep South and what I call "bonus summer". Snow melts; heat and humidity melts you.
Old 04-27-19, 01:42 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Oh good, a chance to whine about this winter in the Midwest.

Let's see. Here in Chicago this winter we:
1. Set a record for the coldest temperature ever recorded in Chicago. This is Chicago, it's cold here. Setting a record for cold is a big deal.
2. Set a record for the most consecutive days with precipitation at 34 days. The previous record? 19 days. We didn't just set the record, we destroyed it. It f^&*ing rained or snowed measurably EVERY DAY FOR 34 DAYS STRAIGHT. Commuting was a mess. Every. GD. Day. Cycling was completely out. Everything was dirty and gritty for six months. The dog didn't want to go outside. This is the first winter in maybe 20 where I haven't done any winter mountain biking of any sort. It simply wasn't possible... ever.
3. Having said #2 above, it never snowed enough for good fatbiking conditions. It would snow/rain/sleet/crap half an inch (every day) and then refreeze overnight. Eventually everything was a ice skating rink. Cold temperatures don't dissuade me from riding. I'm more than fine with real amounts of snow, 6" of fresh snow is great for fatbiking. The one thing that prevents any type of cycling or running outside is the one thing we had for six months straight: epic amounts of glass smooth glare ice.
4. This spring has been no better. Constant 28 mph soul crushing headwinds are a given here in the spring. I can live with that, it gets you in shape for the summer. But... we've had not one but TWO giant snow storms in April. Sure, it snows here in April, but not SEVEN INCHES like we had two weeks ago or EIGHT INCHES like we're supposed to have today. This is not normal.

This combined with the taxes makes me seriously question my life choices.
OK, you're right.

I'm about 300 miles to the west and north of Chicago, and we had similar issues (though even a bit colder). Cold, ice, snow, melting, very cold, very icy, very snowy, *melting*, more cold, more ice, more snow. I have no idea how people were even driving anywhere - my town just gave up maintaining side streets. Commuting was the only riding I did, and it was gnarly. I purchased a trainer.

Fatbiking was kind of a sad mess, because every time they finally got the trails groomed, something would happen to mess it up. The snowmobiles had an OK season, though it was a bit too cold, and there were a few weeks of decent ice fishing from what I can tell.

I work in higher ed, and for the first time in five years, my university closed. For three days straight: first for snow, then for cold. Public schools had a few weeks where the kids barely went. The students and staff at my university are still all kinds of messed up; people missed time from work when everything shut down, and students are behind on everything from trying to deal with the challenges of getting through the winter (not just schoolwork, but missed days of work, broken vehicles, and trying to get to campus on days when it should have been shut down, but was not.)

Sure, it's the north, but this was a bit excessive. Relocation seems like a viable option (though I'll still take this over excessive heat.)
Old 04-27-19, 06:52 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
Original forecast, 2-8 inches here, we got less then 1/2 inch, typical media hype for ratings, gets old after awhile.
Any prediction past 4 to 5 hrs is just a WAG.
Tim
Old 04-28-19, 04:56 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
We ended up getting zilch. So much for forecast accuracy.
Old 04-28-19, 07:40 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
Got about an inch, enough to not let me cut the grass.
Old 04-28-19, 10:48 AM
rnothog

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2; 2016 Giant Roam 1

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
We have some nice bike trails, many paved and marked, but nothing like that super highway.
Old 04-28-19, 10:56 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
A quarter century ago early April was often warm and sunny but not any more now we have to wait for may

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.