Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Inner tube concerns

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Inner tube concerns

Old 05-04-20, 10:31 AM
nematers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Inner tube concerns

Hi all,

So I've recently bought my fist bike and also ordered a couple of spare inner tubes to take with me when I go for a ride.

The tubes have arrived the other day and I though it's better to check if they are alright (don't want any nasty surprises when dealing with a flat on the side of the road).

I have inflated both tubes and they seem ok in terms of holding the air in - no punctures, haven't deflated in 24 hours or so.

However whilst one tube looks perfectly fine in terms of its shape - nice perfectly circled tube, the other one looks a bit weird. As if it has "swollen" in some parts, imagine a snake that has swallowed a couple of mice and a couple of rabbits with few minute intervals (sorry couldn't think of any better way to describe how the inflated tube looks).

Question - is this normal or should I send it back to the retailer and ask for a replacement? It seems to me that the rubber of the tube is thinner or softer in some parts and harder/thicker in others. Will it even up when fully inflated to the max pressure inside the tyre? I have only inflated them very slightly, only to see if they hold the air in.
Old 05-04-20, 10:33 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Wouldn't blip my radar.

My current peeve with inner tubers is valve stem length. Are they the right length to match your rims?
Old 05-04-20, 10:43 AM
nematers

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Wouldn't blip my radar.

My current peeve with inner tubers is valve stem length. Are they the right length to match your rims?
Yes, the size is correct. It's just that thing where one of the tubes looks "swollen". But if I understand correctly that is normal?
Old 05-04-20, 10:49 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
I don't think I have ever inflated a brand new tube before it has been installed. However, after a patch is a different story. I have seen where the 'weld', or casting seam I guess, on the rubber doesn't quite inflate the way everything else does along with the patched area. I would ride it, doesn't phase me a bit. The tire and rim is going to dictate shape in the end.
Old 05-04-20, 10:56 AM
nematers

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FlMTNdude
I don't think I have ever inflated a brand new tube before it has been installed. However, after a patch is a different story. I have seen where the 'weld', or casting seam I guess, on the rubber doesn't quite inflate the way everything else does along with the patched area. I would ride it, doesn't phase me a bit. The tire and rim is going to dictate shape in the end.
I've read many customer reviews of different tubes from different manufactures and on different retail websites saying that they came with punctures straight out the box. So I thought it won't do me any harm to inflate it before I chuck it into my bag and hit the road.
Thanks for confirming that it's normal for the tubes to inflate to different shapes though. I agree they should be fine once between the rim and the tyre.
Old 05-04-20, 11:22 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
It is not a problem. I inflate all my tubes after patching them, most have wierd shapes. I would not worry about it.
Likes For Doug64:
Old 05-04-20, 12:21 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 128 Posts
Most of the tubes I've inflated post patching have done this. When you install the tube in a tire, it will inflate to the shape and diameter the tire will allow.
Likes For Wileyrat:
Old 05-04-20, 12:26 PM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by nematers
It's just that thing where one of the tubes looks "swollen". But if I understand correctly that is normal?
. It's very common.
Old 05-04-20, 12:27 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,488 Times in 543 Posts
The tire will distribute the pressure evenly. No worries. I don't think I've ever seen a tube that was somewhat misshapen when inflated on it's own.
Old 05-04-20, 12:59 PM
nematers

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks everyone. I guess the case can be closed. Good to know these tubes are fine.
Old 05-04-20, 03:15 PM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Hi all,

So I've recently bought my fist bike and also ordered a couple of spare inner tubes to take with me when I go for a ride.

The tubes have arrived the other day and I though it's better to check if they are alright (don't want any nasty surprises when dealing with a flat on the side of the road).

I have inflated both tubes and they seem ok in terms of holding the air in - no punctures, haven't deflated in 24 hours or so.

However whilst one tube looks perfectly fine in terms of its shape - nice perfectly circled tube, the other one looks a bit weird. As if it has "swollen" in some parts, imagine a snake that has swallowed a couple of mice and a couple of rabbits with few minute intervals (sorry couldn't think of any better way to describe how the inflated tube looks).

Question - is this normal or should I send it back to the retailer and ask for a replacement? It seems to me that the rubber of the tube is thinner or softer in some parts and harder/thicker in others. Will it even up when fully inflated to the max pressure inside the tyre? I have only inflated them very slightly, only to see if they hold the air in.
Stop inflating your spare tubes, they are fine.
Old 05-04-20, 04:47 PM
nematers

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ross520
Stop inflating your spare tubes, they are fine.
You never had a puncture straight out the box?
Old 05-04-20, 05:01 PM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Negative.

How are you getting all of the air out of those tubes after inflating them? New tubes come perfectly wrapped-up and completely deflated so they’re as compact as possible and ready to fit neatly inside your jersey pocket or saddle bag. I wouldn’t ruin that on the off-chance that they’re defective.
Old 05-04-20, 05:35 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked 2,873 Times in 1,643 Posts
In my experience back when I worked in bike stores, the tubes that people bought and took home to fix their first flat had a mysteriously high rate of failure. Tubes from the same lot that we used for repairs in the shop always worked fine for us.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 05-04-20, 05:40 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
I never have, but if you want to be sure, there is no harm in doing what you are doing.

In fact, I might start doing that once a year to check the spare in my bag.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 05-04-20, 06:56 PM
Retro Grouch 

Nope. Not a single one I that can recall in over 40 years.
Old 05-04-20, 10:34 PM
SlvrDragon50

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Wouldn't blip my radar.

I stupidly bought a bunch of tires with the wrong valve stem length and didn't realize it until 3 years later that I opened up the packaging...
Old 05-05-20, 02:29 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Don’t think I’ve ever had a verified flat out of the box. I have had a batch of Geax tubes with a thin streak that would stretch unevenly and burst either on inflation after install, or very soon after install. Would probably have caught that earlier if I’d inflated them prior to install.
I’m reasonably sure though that I’ve had faulty valves straight out of the box.
Still, either have been so rare that I generally mount tubes untested. By overwhelming majority, it works.