Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Riding Solo Safety

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Riding Solo Safety

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-20, 09:00 AM
BNSF

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I get where you're coming from, and normally, I'd agree completely.

But no, I never saw any mention of a gun. At this point, I can find no references by the OP to any gun.
Post 18.
Likes For BNSF:
Old 05-22-20, 09:05 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
The county sheriff is the department in these parts.
Oh, yeah I see that mentioned. I figured it was an officer from the sheriff's office who had said that and not the sheriff directly.
Well theelnot much else to do besides bring it to the attention of the towns/county thru social media and news, accept it, or move.
Old 05-22-20, 09:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I get where you're coming from, and normally, I'd agree completely.

But no, I never saw any mention of a gun. At this point, I can find no references by the OP to any gun.

In fact, I'll double down. I call BS on the entire string of posts by the OP. Some narrative meant to spark discussion. My question for the OP is whether she ever filed a police report if a gun were brandished.

Post 18, and yes, she specifically quotes the sheriff she reported it to.

Double down all you want, I actually ride in this state and know that none of what she describes is implausible right down to her description of the actual vehicles.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-22-20, 09:09 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I'these are drivers who actually are going out of their way to harass you.
Time to get a body camera and give the video to the police.
Old 05-22-20, 09:11 AM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts

In fact, I'll double down. I call BS on the entire string of posts by the OP. Some narrative meant to spark discussion. My question for the OP is whether she ever filed a police report if a gun were brandished.
My thoughts as well and see how easily it worked. I have had some people intentionally honk or even swerve into my lane very close to scare me just for kicks and some people here doubted me when I mentioned this when I first joined. But mention a gun (and pulled on a woman rider no less) and everyone eats it up. There are some real idiots out there but I am skeptical this really happened or that if it did it had anything to do with bike hatred. And honestly I don't think I experienced any bike hatred per se just some idiots taking the chance to be a bully when they have the advantage of a 2 ton car.
Old 05-22-20, 09:12 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Oh, yeah I see that mentioned. I figured it was an officer from the sheriff's office who had said that and not the sheriff directly.
Well theelnot much else to do besides bring it to the attention of the towns/county thru social media and news, accept it, or move.

There are places I avoid riding because of the hostile drivers that seem to abound there. Anyone else ever had the "joy" of riding through Fitchburg, MA?
Old 05-22-20, 09:15 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by GlennR
Time to get a body camera and give the video to the police.

Maybe for OP. I just tend to mark down the place as one I'm not returning to. Most of NH is fine, there are just stretches of NH and MA where you might as well be wearing a target.
Old 05-22-20, 09:16 AM
salvarado

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, here in my county Colombia, we are allowed to ride and fortunatelly there are lots of places with separate roads for bikes, therefore we do not have to deal with pedestrians or vehicles, I suggest you to ride on parks or places suited for riders.

Cheers
Old 05-22-20, 09:17 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

you might as well be wearing a target.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 05-22-20, 09:21 AM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I support
POLICE

The first two words should be smaller, and the last one large and bold across your back.
That has the potential to make the OP a much larger target. There are many people who have negative feelings about law enforcement.

Better to replace "police" with "firefighters".
Old 05-22-20, 09:23 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Ross520
That has the potential to make the OP a much larger target. There are many people who have negative feelings about law enforcement.

Better to replace "police" with "firefighters".
Just don't replace it with DENTIST
Old 05-22-20, 09:32 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by GlennR

Speaking of which, if you ride in NH, don't wear white during deer season.
Old 05-22-20, 10:46 AM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
Witnesses always help.
Old 05-22-20, 10:53 AM
probe1957

Bikes: 2020 Scott Speedster 10 Disc

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by rseeker
In my state it's alcohol stores *and* gun stores. That's a special kind of brilliant.
I guess I don't get your point or see the problem?
Old 05-22-20, 11:00 AM
probe1957

Bikes: 2020 Scott Speedster 10 Disc

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I've had more trouble with ****** entry level BMW drivers than trucks personally. I bought a Garmin Varia.

I will say, the faster you ride the nicer folks seem to be. I average around 20 including all the hills on my routes, meaning I cruise flats around 22 to 23mph. Folks seem to have less issue with that than when they encounter somebody going like 12mph.

Not sure why. So maybe, train up!
Averaging 20 MPH like you do, how would you possibly know folks have less of an issue with you than someone going 12 MPH? Just curious.
Old 05-22-20, 12:21 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
Originally Posted by BNB
I've considered this many times but when cops say stuff like "well, what do you expect riding a bicycle on the road?" I sorta don't think they will be bothered with video footage unless I'm actually hit. And, even then, the cyclist is 99% blamed. Years ago we had a guy pull a gun on us and the quote above is from the county sheriff that day.
was wondering the brand [link?]
Old 05-23-20, 12:35 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by probe1957
I guess I don't get your point or see the problem?
It means I forgot there are topics not to be brought up and now I'm unsaying it. Sorry.
Old 05-23-20, 02:57 AM
theavidrider

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can't speak for you directly, as I'm based in another country. But my grandad has experienced some crazy things while out riding. Some people just have no common sense at all, it's shocking
Old 05-23-20, 06:31 AM
BNB

Bikes: road, mtb, tandem, gravel, tt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Great sense of humor, Glenn. Thanks for the laughs!
Old 05-23-20, 06:40 AM
BNB

Hi livedarklions, I totally agree about southern NH (and MA drivers known by another name I am not allowed to post) but I'm in northern NH, western White Mountain Region, when I'm there - which, unfortunately I am not. I'm in So Cal most of the time and every incident over my 30 years of riding have been in CA. Northern NH is so much safer by comparison largely because there is little traffic (and hardly any cyclists). It's a great place to ride. I'd be there in a heart beat full time except my other half doesn't like that white stuff in winter.
Old 05-23-20, 06:48 AM
BNB

Thanks for this, too, livedarklions. Of course this event happened. Lake Wohlford Road in So Cal, The really sad thing is that a paint ball place went in after this incident and cyclists are being shot by paint balls on this road. I'd forgotten about this until someone questioned my honesty. I have never been shot at but 2 of my friends have been hit. Obviously I avoid this road now which is a bummer because it's a great climb (I will descend it very occasionally as it's possible to travel faster than a car).

Wow, that's really uncalled for. You should apologize.

I ride solo all over the southern half of NH, and there are definitely places where harassment is a lot more likely than your neck of the woods in the urbane part of VA. Guess you missed the part of the thread where she said someone pulled a gun on her. Is she supposed to be thankful for that?

Last edited by BNB; 05-23-20 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-23-20, 08:30 AM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
I ride solo whenever I'm on a bike especially to/from work. Drivers in my town have been good about staying behind before passing when safe when they see me on the road. Haven't had any driver honked or flip me off yet but I'm sure that day will come when it gets warmer and things returning to "normal."
Old 05-23-20, 09:57 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
"INSURED BY SMITH & WESSON"

Had a close pass by late model pickup yesterday. He laid on the gas just as he was almost past me, and it sounded like a machine gun opening fire. Must have had exhaust pipes with no muffler whatsoever. Thank goodness I've trained myself not to react, as much as possible, to such occurrences. The truck had two flagpole mounts at the front of the bed, one trailing a large stars and stripes, the other I didn't get a good look at. I doubt it was the Maine state flag, more likely a confederate flag or pirate flag. A true patriot, no doubt.
Old 05-23-20, 01:55 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckles1
"INSURED BY SMITH & WESSON"

Had a close pass by late model pickup yesterday. He laid on the gas just as he was almost past me, and it sounded like a machine gun opening fire. Must have had exhaust pipes with no muffler whatsoever. Thank goodness I've trained myself not to react, as much as possible, to such occurrences. The truck had two flagpole mounts at the front of the bed, one trailing a large stars and stripes, the other I didn't get a good look at. I doubt it was the Maine state flag, more likely a confederate flag or pirate flag. A true patriot, no doubt.
The gun talk that was previously here was deleted and you go and post about it again. We don't have time to babysit adults.

Thanks to you the thread is now closed.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.