Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Should I upgrade or sell?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-20, 12:21 PM
Uri11

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello All,

So I purchased a mens size small Trek Dual Sport 3 for my girlfriend for road and trails.Turns out she did not like the bike and prefers a mountain bike now after we did some trails that were at beginner to intermediate level. We bought the bike thinking we would do more road biking rather than mountain biking.We also kinda bought it rushing it due to all them being out of stock. I cant return/exchange due to corona virus (my bad for not reading the full disclaimer online). So my question is, do I sell the bike (currently its on sale but getting offers semi low) at a lost of $100-$250 or upgrade parts like the front suspension and tires so we can use on mountain trails? Willing to spend some $200-$400 on upgrades. Thanks!
Old 05-27-20, 04:48 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by Uri11
Hello All,

So I purchased a mens size small Trek Dual Sport 3 for my girlfriend for road and trails.Turns out she did not like the bike and prefers a mountain bike now after we did some trails that were at beginner to intermediate level. We bought the bike thinking we would do more road biking rather than mountain biking.We also kinda bought it rushing it due to all them being out of stock. I cant return/exchange due to corona virus (my bad for not reading the full disclaimer online). So my question is, do I sell the bike (currently its on sale but getting offers semi low) at a lost of $100-$250 or upgrade parts like the front suspension and tires so we can use on mountain trails? Willing to spend some $200-$400 on upgrades. Thanks!
you can't turn that bike in an MTB , especially not for $400.
All wrong geometry and all.
Old 05-28-20, 05:36 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
For the trails that your GF is planning to ride ("beginner-inter") I think you should start with swapping out the tires for "knobbies".
Once she has more experience riding the trails she can be more informed about what kind of MTB she wants.
It never is a bad decision to have more than one bike......
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 05-28-20, 07:22 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Depending on where you are located, that bike used when in size medium or large should easily sell for $500-$600, especially now since it's much more difficult to find a bike.

BUT, it's a small, which is more difficult to sell. It's possible you may end up having to go down to around $400 to sell, but this is highly dependent on where you live. Many cities, you could sell that for a premium amount.

Please ignore the people whom try to low ball the price. It's not even worth talking to them since they are not interested in buying.

I have sold many bikes the past 5 years on Craigslist and Facebook Market place. I have found that if people were serious about buying, they would offer you a decent amount and would be willing to pick up the bike.

Those whom low ball, typically try to get it cheap from you only to resell for a profit immediately afterwards.
Old 05-28-20, 11:48 AM
Uri11

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for your inputs. I live in Southern California. So I think the best bet is to sell the bike and purchase a full MT bike.

Seems that i can sell it between $650-$800 as i'm getting offers in that range.