Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Replacing wheels on Motobecane Mirage

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 05-28-20, 12:03 PM
popefelix

Bikes: Motobecane Mirage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

My bike, a Motobecane Mirage, has steel 27" rims. I'd like to convert to aluminum 700c rims to save some weight, and I'm probably going to get them from eBay, because I'm cheap

What should I look for in a wheel? Will I be able to reuse my current cassette, or will I have to buy a new one? If I do that, will I need to replace my chainring as well? (I already need to replace my chain)
Old 05-28-20, 12:43 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
If you can lower your brake pads by 4mm 700C will work. If you can find wheels that have the same OLD that will work - otherwise you'll have to cold set the rear stays and the brake bridge on the Mirage is fragile as I recall. Or you could just buy 27" wheels on the bay with the proper OLD.
Old 05-28-20, 12:45 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
I'd suggest the wheels that come with Sun M13II polished rims. If peel off the stickers, they look like the Rigida rims that came on the Grand Touring and other models. Make sure you have enough room in your brake slots to move the pads down 4mm first. If new wheels come with quick releases, throw them away. External cam QR don't work with horizontal dropouts.

Your bike is sized for 120mm rear wheels. The frame will need to be respaced to use the slightly more modern 126mm (6/7 speed) size. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

You will need a new freewheel (not a cassette) and chain. You will not need new chainrings.
Old 05-28-20, 01:01 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3867 Post(s)
Liked 6,452 Times in 3,192 Posts
If you're cheap, go to craigslist where you can select from donor bikes with matching 27" wheelsets and get 'em for free.

An example would be finding a donor for $60 with a Suntour Cyclone rear derailleur, matching 27" wheelset, horrible paint, and bent fork. Sell the derailleur for $60, and toss the donor frame (sans components) in the recycling bin.
Likes For SurferRosa: