Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Do you stop at stop signs?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 05-27-20, 05:50 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts

Maybe yes and maybe no. Just depends.

What burns my butt is when I'm out on my Midnight Madness Rides (have one planned for tonight) and can see the intersection still being 1/2 mile away and when I get there some FOOL pulls up from the side road causing me to STOP. Freaking 3AM and the bozo is out driving. Just as bad as having that blasted bug smack me right between my eyes or goes in mouth to back of throat.
Old 05-27-20, 07:07 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
Obvious troll is obvious.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 05-27-20, 07:12 AM
EviLDORK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Canondale Synapse, Canondale Touring 1, Salsa Mukluk, Masi Uno, Trek 850

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
Think of a stop sign and a light as a place to practice a track stands.
I like to think that I'm training people to drive more deliberately and learn what the hand signals mean when I track stand at stop signs.
Old 05-27-20, 09:34 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
This one falls under the "you don't get it if you don't ride bikes".

Motorized traffic is SO fast and able to accelerate so quickly, stops are a nothingburger. On a bicycle, it matters a lot for your transport time. Especially "in town" going through neighborhoods.

Out in the boonies when there is a stop, I stop. It's one stop every 10 to 20min. Big deal. No time loss and all the safety gained.

In town? Nope, I look closely and roll it. Especially 4 ways. If I'm there way first, it avoids the inevitable "Mexican standoff" situation when folks try to wave each other along. I've had MORE problems bothering to stop at 4 and 3 way stops in town than rolling. People either trying to play nice and not going when they have right of way OR playing the "beat the bike" even though they got their 2nd or 3rd or 4th. If you roll it and were first.....you're already gone by the time they do something stupid.

It's a big judgement call depending on the geography, traffic volume, situation, etc........
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 05-27-20, 10:27 AM
pcook489

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by debade
More and more states are adapting the Idaho Stop for signs and/or traffic lights. Look to see what your state's advocacy group is doing. And if the law is not moving forward to make stop signs and or traffic lights into yield signs for cyclists, help them out by advocating. Washington State just passed a law treating stop signs as yield signs.
Debade,
Be careful - law doesn't go into effect until October 2020.
Old 05-27-20, 10:56 AM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by pcook489
Debade,
Be careful - law doesn't go into effect until October 2020.
Thanks, I missed that.
Old 05-27-20, 11:10 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Obvious troll is obvious.
My thoughts too. Although, one day while riding, I did come across a fixie guy who was blowing stop signs and cursing loudly at every car that came remotely near him.
Old 05-27-20, 11:30 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Naturally, I wouldn't advocate breaking any laws. But it's interesting to talk about the safety aspect by itself. Traffic laws are mainly for cars. If there were no motor vehicles on the road, there would be far fewer traffic controls of any kind at intersections. Like, maybe yield signs at the more busy intersections, and that's it.

Still, since we have cars and traffic laws, the considerations change. We're creatures of habit, so we're safer if traffic patterns are predictable. This means, knowing what to expect when you arrive at an intersection. There also what I would call "politics" for lack of a better term. People get mad when they see someone else enjoy a goody that they can't enjoy themselves, so there is some unwritten rule of fairness that is at play, even if it doesn't strictly relate to safety. Car drivers get mad if something jolts them out of the typical state of half-attention that they are in.

For me, predictability and courtesy are part of how I ride my bike. I don't want to fan the flames of anti-bike sentiment.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 05-27-20, 01:02 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Bicyclist were having traffic accidents even before cars were thought of. So I don't agree that the traffic laws are mainly for cars.
Old 05-27-20, 04:40 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
Respect right of way.

Everything else is situational.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 05-28-20, 06:43 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 414 Times in 244 Posts
Mostly. That means that I slow to less-than-walking speed (1-2 mph) at most stop signs, which is about what most cars do around here. Come to a brief complete stop (no foot down) if there is traffic or if there is a cop. Stop completely and put foot down if necessary due to traffic (rarely necessary). I don't ever go through stop signs at speed. I've never mastered a track stand.

I cycle to exercise and de-stress, rebuilding momentum after (almost) stopping is a form of exercise and allows me to work on a different skill set (accelerating), so why would the extra effort required to (almost) stop bother me? Many cyclists seem to resent having to expend the effort required, which I've never understood. I could understand it if we're talking about cycle commuters or utility cyclists, but those are exceedingly rare around here.
Likes For noimagination:
Old 05-28-20, 11:28 AM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 317 Posts
No. When I do then the cars get confused. I prefer for everyone to act out their chosen roles. Smoother that way.
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 05-28-20, 12:08 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I treat Stop signs and red lights like Yield signs. Nobody there, I'm going, potentially at full speed. Somebody there, I'm yielding until it's safe to go, and very likely coming to a full stop and putting my foot down to let them know I'm not going anywhere until they do.
Old 05-29-20, 08:51 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Bicyclist were having traffic accidents even before cars were thought of. So I don't agree that the traffic laws are mainly for cars.
I said "mainly." I think if there were no cars, the number of needed laws would be vastly fewer.

I read a more extreme example on another forum: In areas with heavy pedestrian traffic, such as train stations and shopping centers, there are virtually no laws or rules. Pedestrians figure out where to go. They watch where they're going. Sometimes they bump into one another, usually just go on their merry way. There is no mandatory pedestrian insurance.

With motor vehicles, if two cars even touch one another, it usually becomes a matter for the police and insurance. Cars go much faster, are more deadly, and major roads are designed to be driven while paying minimal attention. Most cars in heavy traffic are effectively driven by the traffic flow and are not fully controlled by their drivers. That's why there are multi-car pile-ups.

I think that bikes would fall somewhere in between. At the very minimum, a rule for which side to pass on would be needed. Maybe some rules of priority at intersections, and yield signs in more busy areas. The majority of bike rules might end up being about parking, and maybe design engineering.

Laws regulating use of technology don't spring up merely because there are accidents, but tend to come into use when the number of accidents rises to a level justifying government intervention. Given that bikes were popular for a time period before cars were widespread, it would be interesting to see what kind of laws were enacted at the time.
Old 05-29-20, 09:31 PM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
If a car passes me on the side, stops, then goes - and I arrive as he's going - I breeze on through.

If an oncoming car stops, then is going and I arrive at the same time I breeze on through.

If I arrive when cross traffic is stopped waiting to cross, I slow and pass behind them.

If no cars are there I slow and am aware of any cross traffic, and roll on through.

If I see a cop I stop.
Old 05-30-20, 11:26 AM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by gios
If a car passes me on the side, stops, then goes - and I arrive as he's going - I breeze on through.

If an oncoming car stops, then is going and I arrive at the same time I breeze on through.

If I arrive when cross traffic is stopped waiting to cross, I slow and pass behind them.

If no cars are there I slow and am aware of any cross traffic, and roll on through.

If I see a cop I stop.
Works for me. My observation is in suburb neighborhoods many stop signs on through streets are there to either discourage cut-through traffic or speeding, neither of which applies to bikes.

scott s.
Old 05-30-20, 01:57 PM
cybirr 
Beer & Bikes

Bikes: '20 Specialized Roubaix Expert, '20 Specialized Shiv Elite, '13 Specialized S-Works Epic

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 36 Posts
In my state of Arkansas, Act 650 of 2019 (sometimes referred to as the Idaho stop law since that state enacted the law first in the US) allows bicyclists to treat stop signs as yield signs and stop lights as stop signs (and therefore yield signs). Onus is on the cyclists to make safe decisions on how to proceed. So 'running' a stop sign meaning without regard to traffic is your fault; but yielding as required, riding safely, gives you options. I think it works. Cyclists in Arkansas can thank several of our advocacy groups for making this happen.

Last edited by cybirr; 05-30-20 at 01:58 PM. Reason: typo
Likes For cybirr:
Old 05-30-20, 07:39 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,781 Times in 2,206 Posts
Why would i stop at a sign made to regulate auto traffic?

Bicycle signs i would STOP for.
Old 05-30-20, 08:29 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Laws change, A rolling look both ways stop on a bicycle is permitted in Oregon. now..

we promote an 'every crossing is a pedestrian crossing ', stop your car , please , too,
and so I often get to cross traffic in the zebra crossing slowed but not stopped.

/..

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-30-20 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-30-20, 11:02 PM
CycleNutz

Bikes: Road

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I never blow a stop sign faster than 10 MPH unless I know the intersection well AND it has a tremendous sight distance in both directions. I almost never come to a complete stop unless there is a pedestrian or automobile.
Likes For CycleNutz:
Old 05-30-20, 11:07 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
I always slow down at stop signs. Unless no one else is coming, then yeah, no I don't. Sometimes I do.
Old 05-31-20, 01:10 AM
takozukuri
human being

Bikes: 7.3 FX

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I know what the right answer should be.
Old 06-01-20, 05:12 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 869 Posts
Originally Posted by takozukuri
I know what the right answer should be.
> another bicycle anonymous troll screwing with JACKS frazzled out brain
Old 06-01-20, 11:13 AM
Mastrofrancesco

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
S-spin
T-tires
O-on
P-pavement

in Nj anyway
Old 06-01-20, 01:37 PM
jpdemers

Bikes: '78 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, on nicer wheels.

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gios

If I see a cop I stop.
Pretty much my rules - except I don't go unless I make eye contact with the relevant driver. NEVER take being seen as a given - I assume all drivers are out to kill me, until they show me otherwise.
Likes For jpdemers:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.