Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo Vento Reaction

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-18, 05:20 AM
Gerry221

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced, Merida Racelight, Specialized Allez, Bianchi Doss 500 MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 23 Posts

Hi, I have just came in to possesion of a pair of these wheels. Only thing is, it has a Shimano freehub. I would like to get this changed to a Campagnolo one.

Can anyone shed any light on what freehub body I need to buy? Cost?

Any links and advice would be wonderful....

Thank you
Old 11-26-18, 11:18 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
You need Campagnolo part number FH-BUU015. A google search will bring up many options.

They aren't real cheap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Campagnolo-...Qlsy:rk:6:pf:0
Old 11-26-18, 12:51 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
A Shimano cassette driver is somewhat an advantage since the cassettes are cheaper and abundant ..

but $$$$ going in to Campag , get used to that.. you are going to be spending abundantly..

Enjoy the ride..
Old 11-26-18, 01:50 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Are you running 11-speed? If so, install a 11-speed Shimano cassette and run the wheel with your Campagnolo system. This will save the cost of the freehub, and allow you to use cassettes that are half the cost of Campagnolo units.
Old 11-27-18, 10:18 AM
Gerry221

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced, Merida Racelight, Specialized Allez, Bianchi Doss 500 MTB

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Are you running 11-speed? If so, install a 11-speed Shimano cassette and run the wheel with your Campagnolo system. This will save the cost of the freehub, and allow you to use cassettes that are half the cost of Campagnolo units.
No, its 10 speed.

Would that work?
Old 11-27-18, 10:35 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
One option is to retain the Shimano splined FH body and your Campy der and Ergo shifters then add a Shiftmate (I believe #1 is the correct one) to best translate the Campy der movement to the Shimano cassette cog spacings. I use quite a few Shiftmates on different bikes for this very purpose. Far cheaper right off the bat then a Campy freehub body and cassette and the savings continue with each new cassette you need to get. Andy

Jtek Shiftmate Shimano Campagnolo and SRAM compatibility tables
Old 11-27-18, 12:56 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
OP, if you want to run 8 speed Campagnolo, you will need a different hub body to the one already mentioned (if 8sp is even compatible with that particular hub).

Originally Posted by fietsbob
A Shimano cassette driver is somewhat an advantage since the cassettes are cheaper and abundant ..

but $$$$ going in to Campag , get used to that.. you are going to be spending abundantly..

Enjoy the ride..
Guys, can we go easy on this idea that you have to take out a second mortgage and sell your sperm every week to afford to run Campagnolo?

Edit: forgot to point out that one Campagnolo spline pattern will allow you to run 9,10 or 11 speed, which is nice. I don't believe it's the same with Shimano (but I honestly don't know for sure).

A 10 second google search shows a $65 Centaur 11 speed cassette, plus something a few dollars cheaper from Miche. These aren't exactly huge numbers.
Old 11-27-18, 06:13 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Here is an easy solution. Use an Ultegra 10sp cassette with loose cogs except the last 3. In between all of the loose cogs put a .2mm spacer in addition to the included spacers and the built in ones on the first 3. The .2mm spacers can either be bought somewhere or can be cut with a sharp knife out of stiff plastic sheets using one of the included spacers as a model. Voila! Campy spacing on a Shimano cassette. The last 3 won't be perfect, but it isn't off enough to matter, .4mm, plus the limit screw will force the derailleur onto the last cog anyway.

edit: one thing to add though is that this works with an 11 speed Shimano freehub, not 10. A 10sp freehub isn’t quite wide enough for the spacers. Most recent ones are 11 anyway. If it is a Campy wheel the space is there. I made this setup work on my trainer that came with an 11sp Shimano and i ride Campy 10

Last edited by zacster; 11-27-18 at 08:09 PM.