Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Can you tape an already glued new tubular tire?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-19, 08:32 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 1,763 Posts

I've searched but can't seem to find an answer. I have a brand new tubular tire that's has a coat of glue applied to the base tape already. Is it OK to mount that with tubular tape vs glue or should I stick to glue on the rim? Getting ready to set up some new tubular rims using tape and hoping to only have to buy one tire if I can use this one.

Thanks!
Old 04-15-19, 09:06 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
At your discretion. I've done exactly that without issue. It sticks almost too much. Matter of fact the rim tape was aggressive enough that the base tape on a Vittoria tubular was coming off upon my later removal.

No manufacturer will give the green light for such - liability.
Old 04-15-19, 09:14 AM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
What kind of tire is it? In my experience, tubular tires come with something over the base tape -- whether it's latex, a form of glue, or whatever -- in anticipation that the installer will use whatever to mount the tire. If it's a new tire, and you've got a clean rim, you're good to use whatever you want.

If it's a new tire that someone else applied mastik to, you should still be ok, just scrape off any high spots or globs if there are any.
Old 04-19-19, 01:07 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
At your discretion. I've done exactly that without issue. It sticks almost too much. Matter of fact the rim tape was aggressive enough that the base tape on a Vittoria tubular was coming off upon my later removal.
I have, too, with a Vittoria, and they do seem to want to come apart a bit.

I had my first flat, ever, on a tubular last weekend. Ever. Bad valve vulcanizing right at the inner tube part. Well-used Tufo Carbon Composite, so yeah, $80, but it came with some wheels, so any use was gravy.
Old 04-19-19, 01:09 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by ljsense
If it's a new tire that someone else applied mastik to, you should still be ok, just scrape off any high spots or globs if there are any.
+1
There are two places you don't want Klingons, and one is a tubular tire/rim. Both make for unpleasant cycling.
Old 04-30-19, 07:35 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Well, finally got this done tonight. First time using tape. So freaking easy, hopefully I did a good job. seemed really easy and didn't take long at all. Just took my time laying the tape down, pressing it good to the rim. Then I put the tires on, pumped them up a couple of times while checking alignment, and then pulled out the facing tape. They are now sitting in the corner curing. I'll throw them on something this weekend for a test ride. Still not sure which bike is going to get them. Mounted then on some 40mm C.F. Reynolds wheels so I've got to decide which bike will benefit the most from them.
Old 04-30-19, 08:00 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 175 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Then I put the tires on, pumped them up a couple of times while checking alignment, and then pulled out the facing tape. They are now sitting in the corner curing. .
I'm not getting this . You put the tape on , then you put the tires on , then you pulled the facing tape off ? In the past I have just put on the tape , pull the face off , put the tire on and ride . Maybe I'm going to learn something here .
Old 04-30-19, 08:08 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by markwesti
I'm not getting this . You put the tape on , then you put the tires on , then you pulled the facing tape off ? In the past I have just put on the tape , pull the face off , put the tire on and ride . Maybe I'm going to learn something here .
Well, I'm no expert but that's how I did it. Let's you adjust the tire as best you can before it's stuck down. I just exposed a little tape on each end at the valve so I had something to pull once I was happy with how the tire sat.
Old 05-01-19, 04:48 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Well, I'm no expert but that's how I did it. Let's you adjust the tire as best you can before it's stuck down. I just exposed a little tape on each end at the valve so I had something to pull once I was happy with how the tire sat.
I recall the Tufo tape instructions had me do exactly as you did. I don't recall if the Jantex had written instructions, but I installed it the same way and it worked very well.

I wouldn't use the Tufo again - too hard to remove a tire without causing other damage.

Last edited by Road Fan; 05-01-19 at 04:52 AM.
Old 05-01-19, 05:06 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I have, too, with a Vittoria, and they do seem to want to come apart a bit.

I had my first flat, ever, on a tubular last weekend. Ever. Bad valve vulcanizing right at the inner tube part. Well-used Tufo Carbon Composite, so yeah, $80, but it came with some wheels, so any use was gravy.
Hi, Robbie! Do use a sealant? I was thinking of trying the Effetomariposa Caffelatex as a preventative. An LBS says no sealant works much for leaks in the valve area.
Old 05-01-19, 07:37 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by Road Fan
Hi, Robbie! Do use a sealant? I was thinking of trying the Effetomariposa Caffelatex as a preventative. An LBS says no sealant works much for leaks in the valve area.
I do use a sealant now, but your LBS is right, it would not have helped that leak one iota, as it was a structural failure.

I avoided sealants in tubulars, for years, but @ldmataya convinced me it was a good preventive measure. Now I put 2 oz in each new tubular.

Peace of mind issue, perhaps, and of course, subject to change if I flat and get all psycho twisted up on it.
Old 05-01-19, 09:45 AM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 175 Posts
Thanks for that James . I have learned something .
Old 05-01-19, 10:09 AM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I do use a sealant now, but your LBS is right, it would not have helped that leak one iota, as it was a structural failure.

I avoided sealants in tubulars, for years, but @ldmataya convinced me it was a good preventive measure. Now I put 2 oz in each new tubular.

Peace of mind issue, perhaps, and of course, subject to change if I flat and get all psycho twisted up on it.
What kind do you use?