Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Old Giant Iguana needs TLC

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-05-20, 03:48 PM
synonymy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello and good day everyone..

I have an old Giant Iguana 26"wheel mountain bike that has no suspension that has a worn out drivetrain that I would like to replace if possible.
The original was a 21 speed I believe, but I am open to making it into something with only one front crank sprocket if possible.
In essence, I can see turning it into something just for the roads and easy trails, no knobbies or anything, just easy running tires etc..
Can anyone offer some pointers and possibly some links to hardware that can make this bike run again?
I am open to making it into a single speed as well, but I imagine that's not easily possible?
Not looking for space grade materials either.
I like the schwalbe big apple tires.

Thanks for any info you can offer
Scott
Old 05-05-20, 07:06 PM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 222 Posts

These are before and after photos of a Giant Iguana I rescued from a dumpster at my Sister in Law's condo. The after is a rattle can paint job and some of the mods you are proposing for your bike. Fun project.
Old 05-06-20, 02:33 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by synonymy
Hello and good day everyone..

I have an old Giant Iguana 26"wheel mountain bike that has no suspension that has a worn out drivetrain that I would like to replace if possible.
The original was a 21 speed I believe, but I am open to making it into something with only one front crank sprocket if possible.
In essence, I can see turning it into something just for the roads and easy trails, no knobbies or anything, just easy running tires etc..
Can anyone offer some pointers and possibly some links to hardware that can make this bike run again?
I am open to making it into a single speed as well, but I imagine that's not easily possible?
Not looking for space grade materials either.
I like the schwalbe big apple tires.

Thanks for any info you can offer
Scott
The Classic & Vintage forum is where you want to be; the mtb. upright conversion thread has lots of inspiration.
Old 05-06-20, 09:36 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
I actually have an old Giant Iguana that I think was bought around 92. That is what I used to get back into riding 4 or so years ago and still ride it regularly. Mine is a 3 X 7 Shimano Altus setup and I've had no problems finding replacement parts and pretty inexpensively.

When I first got it out of storage, I found the rear wheel rim bent and purchased a used replacement wheel from my local bike shop. I think he charged me 15 bucks. Both trigger shifters were gummed up and I found replacements on amazon. I think those were less than 20 for the pair. The originals were a combo brake lever/shifter and the replacement was just the shifter so I took a dremel to the old levers to cut off the shifter part and have both mounted on the bars. There are plenty of tires available for the 26 X 1.75 rims from knobbies to slicks so you can run whatever tires you want. I have Schwalbe Marathons on mine. I also cleaned and repacked the bearings on both wheels and the fork bearings.

I think that is all I did just to get it in good working order initially. After riding it regularly for a while, I noticed a grinding sound in the bottom bracket so got a replacement for that, which was I think less than 20 bucks. The two larger ring gears were pretty worn so I found a replacement crankset on amazon that was around $40 and figured since I was doing that, I'd get a chain and cassette as well, neither was very expensive.

All that stuff was easy to find. Search for parts using Shimano Altus in the search.

I ride this bike in the early mornings and sometimes in the winter when the weather is lousy so I've also added fenders. Right now I'm putting 50-60 miles a week on it and it's quite reliable.

Likes For Ogsarg: