Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Going off de Rails?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Going off de Rails?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-20, 08:46 AM
Albion 

Bikes: 1980 Fuji Gran Tourer SE, 1974 Araya, 1986 Team Fuji

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Going off de Rails?

Dear Fellow Bike Forum members, I have been gifted a 1986 Team Fuji frameset from a generous BF member and am building it up. Could I ask for advice on F/R derailleurs? I am using a Shimano six-speed freewheel on charming Normandy hubs and narrow rims of the era. The bike was marketed with Suntour Sprint (although I have seen Cyclone elsewhere) per the catalog page below. I'll need downtube shifter levers as well. Any advice on what would be appropriate would be truly welcome! I am leaning towards new as I might otherwise be like a lamb to the slaughter on eBay . . .

Old 05-28-20, 12:04 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
You could always build it up with a Suntour hodgepodge (Superbe in front, V-Series in rear) on the cheap and work toward something more lasting (full Dura Ace, full Superbe, full Sprint, etc. ) as you get some value and experience from riding the bike. Also, '80s Cyclone isn't usually spendy. Most of that Suntour stuff looks appropriate together. My last Suntour build had a Sprint rear (with 26t max cog) with Superbe front and Superbe shifters. Sugino cranks fit in well with anything japanese.
Old 05-28-20, 12:13 PM
oceanstaterider

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott, 1988 Cannondale ST 700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I had one of these a few years back and had put shimano 600 tri color components on it and was very happy with it but if i had the same thing now I would probably put period shimano 600sis parts on it which can be got at decent prices.
Old 05-28-20, 12:32 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
If you are not trying to index the rear Shimano 6 speed freewheel, then you can use any friction shifter or rear derailleur you choose. I like the chunky-ness of indexing and would actually change to a 7 speed rear (SunTour) Winner Pro or AP freewheel. Then you could use some 6/7 or 7/8 speed "SL" or "Superbe Pro" shift levers. You could then spec an Accushift era SunTour RD of your choice. The prices on these used or even new can be pretty low if you get lucky.
Old 05-28-20, 12:41 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked 746 Times in 407 Posts
Before we recommend anything, we need to know your fitness level, and what sort of riding you'll be doing. If you plan to ride up and the down the mountains around Phoenix, I'd recommend a triple crank. That will of course necessitate a different sort of front/rear derailleur.

NOS Suntour prices are reaching the $tar$ these days. I see no reason to buy them when there are plenty in reasonable condition for much less. If you feel uncomfortable about the honesty of ebay sellers (fair enough), you are a paying member of this site and there are surely many other people here who have derailleurs and shifters in good condition for sale in the C&V sales sub-forum.

masi61 Suntour indexing is a rough road, IMO. The supply on accushift freewheels is not infinite, and the prices for new/good condition freewheels on ebay are absolutely insane. I wouldn't put accushift on any of my bikes if I had a choice.

Last edited by Piff; 05-28-20 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-28-20, 01:45 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 301 Posts
I’ve been watching a black/flamingo version on my local CL for a few weeks. I think these bikes have quite a bit of appeal.

If I were going to put a 6 speed group on it, I’d probably go with Shimano 600 indexed derailleur and shifters. These are plentiful, not too pricey and easy to deal with.
Old 05-28-20, 02:38 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by Piff
Suntour indexing is a rough road, IMO. The supply on accushift freewheels is not infinite, and the prices for new/good condition freewheels on ebay are absolutely insane. I wouldn't put accushift on any of my bikes if I had a choice.
If you're staying at 6 speed, Accushift is fine- SIS and Accushift are spaced the same- as long as you're using matching shifters and derailleurs.

SIS 6 speed shifters + SIS derailleur + 6 speed freewheel= Go
Accushift 6 speed shifters + Accushift derailleur + 6 speed freewheel= Go

Mix any of that up= No Go.

(that's assuming regular Accushift, not @)

That being said... 6400 series Ultegra/600 stuff is relatively plentiful and relatively inexpensive- so you can get matching brakes and levers at the same time.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 05-28-20, 02:39 PM
Albion 

Bikes: 1980 Fuji Gran Tourer SE, 1974 Araya, 1986 Team Fuji

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
You folks are the best!

The replies I am receiving are the best reason to join Bike Forums - solid advice, thoughtfully and kindly given. Thank you all so much! Lack of indexing doesn't faze me as neither my lovely 1980 Fuji or 1974 Araya have them. By the way, I have just come by a full Suntour AR F/R set, filthy but little worn - unless it sounds like sacrilege I'll give 'em a try . . .

Last edited by Albion; 05-29-20 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-28-20, 11:37 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by Piff
Before we recommend anything, we need to know your fitness level, and what sort of riding you'll be doing. If you plan to ride up and the down the mountains around Phoenix, I'd recommend a triple crank. That will of course necessitate a different sort of front/rear derailleur.

NOS Suntour prices are reaching the $tar$ these days. I see no reason to buy them when there are plenty in reasonable condition for much less. If you feel uncomfortable about the honesty of ebay sellers (fair enough), you are a paying member of this site and there are surely many other people here who have derailleurs and shifters in good condition for sale in the C&V sales sub-forum.

masi61 Suntour indexing is a rough road, IMO. The supply on accushift freewheels is not infinite, and the prices for new/good condition freewheels on ebay are absolutely insane. I wouldn't put accushift on any of my bikes if I had a choice.
Great suggestions.

Very much agreed on Suntour prices, especially for Superbe Pro, because it always is. For Accushift FWs, I just use Shimano Uniglide-toothed ones. Cheap, plentiful, long-lasting, and good shifting.

Still, if one has got to have that Accushift (Plus) goodness, you gotta pay the piper. A week ago, I just did. Mint (NOS) components going on an essentially mint Allez SE? Worth it.