Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-17, 03:37 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
...and I really do think that there are significant wattage gains for pursuiters using straps. I've spotted both male and female pursuiters using them at the highest level.

Old 10-22-17, 04:29 PM
tobukog

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
I actually think a lot is about tradition. A pursuiter is going to most likely be faster WITHOUT straps -- probably on the order of 2-8w. You'd think that the equipment choices of top level National teams are well thought out, but so much is about sponsorship or "how it's always been done". Look at the number of endurance riders using the IO even though it's probably not the fastest wheel. Sometimes you have to do it because everyone else does it...
Old 10-22-17, 05:14 PM
Divebrian

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you saying there is a faster wheel than the IO? Other than a front disk which is not conducive to outside usage, I'm not aware of any other options.
Old 10-22-17, 05:49 PM
SyntaxMonstr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carleton
That's not too crazy being that the TK FRD (Felt has redone their lineup) is $4000USD.

That's interesting.

Do you know if they may them to order or have pre-made stock sizes?
Here's the reply I got from them when I reached out to them:

"Dear Hamza,

We have pleasure in offering you factory direct pricing, We distribute factory direct worldwide.

BT Edge Frame/ Fork/Seat post AUD$6,840*
*pricing excludes freight charges

Our BT Edge framesets range are available in 5 sizes Top Tube dimensions C-C (53CM) (55CM) (57CM) (59CM) (61CM)

BT Ultra Frame/Fork/Seat post AUD$7,580*
*Pricing excludes freight charges.

Our BT Ultra framesets range are available in 6 sizes Top Tube dimensions C-C (51CM) (53CM) (55CM) (57CM) (59CM) (61CM)

All our framesets are manufactured to order, Current delivery timing is 6-8 weeks from order confirmation with payment received.

Best Regards

STEVEN SANSONETTI
Ph +61 404 331 449 | Fax +61 3 9467 7781 | Mob 0404 331 449
admin@biketechnologies.com | www.biketechnologies.com"
Old 10-22-17, 06:09 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Divebrian
Are you saying there is a faster wheel than the IO? Other than a front disk which is not conducive to outside usage, I'm not aware of any other options.
Yes. The Zipp 808.

Have you noticed that 5-spokes are curiously missing from the road TT scene? Have you noticed that ALL high-end wheel manufacturers (who are in steep competition to make the fastest wheels) offer deep wheel options, but only a few make 5 spokes?

If the 5 spoke were faster, Mavic would simply put a brake track on the iO and sell it to TT nerds for $4,000 each and make money hand over fist. (Yes, I know that a few Mavic iOs have been spotted on road TT bikes. But it's not a consumer offering.)

Relevant thread on the topic. Some of the commenters are some very experienced "heavy hitters" in the bike world (read their signatures and google Andrew Coggan).

Triathletes spend more $ than any other cycling sector. They have no problem paying $3000-4000 for a wheel...IF it's actually faster.

Originally Posted by SyntaxMonstr
Here's the reply I got from them when I reached out to them:
Thanks! That's some great info.

Last edited by carleton; 10-22-17 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-22-17, 07:15 PM
Divebrian

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just curious as I have both the 808 (have a set for training/local races) and a disk/IO combination for big races. I always thought that both were very similar in aero properties in a head wind scenario with the 808 being more controllable in a cross wind for lighter riders. I thought in the sprinting world that the IO was preferred because of the stiffness. In my use, they both feel equally fast with the IO having the edge in the stiffness department.

Now, on the road, I can understand the spoked wheel being preferred as the construction of the IO would make it a harsh ride, plus you have varying winds, making the 808 a more versatile and well suited wheel for the road. Then again, I'm just a consumer that gets just enough information to form the opinion the marketing department wants me to have.....
Old 10-22-17, 09:16 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Divebrian
Just curious as I have both the 808 (have a set for training/local races) and a disk/IO combination for big races. I always thought that both were very similar in aero properties in a head wind scenario with the 808 being more controllable in a cross wind for lighter riders. I thought in the sprinting world that the IO was preferred because of the stiffness. In my use, they both feel equally fast with the IO having the edge in the stiffness department.

Now, on the road, I can understand the spoked wheel being preferred as the construction of the IO would make it a harsh ride, plus you have varying winds, making the 808 a more versatile and well suited wheel for the road. Then again, I'm just a consumer that gets just enough information to form the opinion the marketing department wants me to have.....
I think you are trying to mentally back into this.

I've owned both the 808 and IO (at the same time at one point) and I'm really big. The 808 didn't flex. The 1080 did...but not the 808. Plus, you can easily adjust the 808's characteristics by using different gauge spokes.

What's more is that, anecdotally, I did not experience any change in my TT times when I put on the IO. There wasn't even a placebo effect.

The biggest point being, no one has said it's more aerodynamic...not even Mavic. Here are their deep road offerings. Notice a familiar face?

I think they make the IO because people buy it.

What's more...the new IO looks remarkably like an old TT wheel that was tossed out for its un-aeroness years ago:

I dunno man, hahahaha

I'm waiting for the bombshell study to drop that undoubtedly proves what those industry guys found in their testing.

I know I'll never lust after an IO again. Not when I can get an 808 Track wheel for literally 1/4 the price.

Last edited by carleton; 10-22-17 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-23-17, 11:32 AM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not that big of a guy, 5'5 and 158 lbs. I ride with a strap as insurance, not any fashion. I pulled out a left cleat years ago and added straps, and never had the problem again. Until at Master's Worlds in the team sprint 3/4 final. My right cleat released just past turn 1, but since I had the strap on, my foot stayed on the pedal instead of flying off and forcing me to pedal with one foot. I was able to just jam the cleat down and re-engage the pedal without problem. My second man did not see it happen, and you can't see it happen in the video. That strap saved our medal! When you can be safe, why be sorry?

I agree with Carleton's comment about just liking the feeling of being directly coupled to the pedal, thus eliminating the shoe flex from a hard start. I don't know if it saves any energy; I just like how it feels and it gives me more confidence.
Old 10-23-17, 12:08 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
This year, I have broken two pairs of shoes trying to tighten them down so that my foot would not move. In both shoes, I had velcro straps, and I pulled them so tight that the metal loop bent, then snapped.

Fortunately they are custom shoes, so I was able to send them back to the maker to get them repaired.
Old 10-23-17, 12:19 PM
bartek. 

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What's more...the new IO looks remarkably like an old TT wheel that was tossed out for its un-aeroness years ago:
I heard from elite sprinters that the new IO RIO is as stiff as the old version and is lighter that makes a way better handling especially for match sprinting. Same speed at the end. All of them say that since day one the new IO has feeling of a better wheel than the old one.

I have never ridden 808 however I don't believe it can be as stiff as 5-stroke wheel. It's faster though (same as HED GT3 which is not as stiff as iO). There is some data about it.
Old 10-23-17, 12:24 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by topflightpro
This year, I have broken two pairs of shoes trying to tighten them down so that my foot would not move. In both shoes, I had velcro straps, and I pulled them so tight that the metal loop bent, then snapped.

Fortunately they are custom shoes, so I was able to send them back to the maker to get them repaired.
Look into affixing NJS straps to your pedals. Try singles first. Ask here if you need help figuring out how to put them on.

USE NJS not "fixie kid knockoff" straps. Seriously. You are paying for functionality and quality. All leather (or "pleather") straps are not made the same way. I personally prefer Toshi or Kashimax.

I know that nylon Velcro straps are all the rage now. But, in my opinion, they are not mature yet. Not like the NJS straps. I'm not trying to dis nylon Velcro. I just haven't personally used a set that's better than NJS straps.

The difference between Clipless Pedals and Clipless + Straps (NJS or Nylon) is like the difference between Platform Pedals and Clipless Pedals. There is a big, "OK...now I get it." sensation.
Old 10-23-17, 12:27 PM
bartek. 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One last thing. Pedal exit tension is relative to the rider. A moderate setting for a big rider may render a smaller rider unable to escape! So, comparing pedal exit tension can't be done by looking at the pedals. One must also consider the rider's size and strength. So, we can't just say, "Set your pedals to min/medium/max tension..." as it is a relative setting.

I can exit vertically out of Shimano pedals set on max setting during a standing start but a 150lb rider couldn't even twist out of them on the middle setting.
Hmmm? I don't use Shimano but for Look pedals you can set an exact amount of the exit tension. So there are real numbers in the game and nobody says like "min/mid/max/ but 10, 12, 16, 20Nm...
I personally ride with 16Nm exit tension. Once I had a crash on a race and my colleague lent me his pedals with max 12Nm tension. Well...it was not strong enough unfortunately and I unclicked unexpectedly very quickly, fortunately without crash but this stopped my race anyway.
Old 10-23-17, 12:37 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by bartek.
I heard from elite sprinters that the new IO RIO is as stiff as the old version and is lighter that makes a way better handling especially for match sprinting. Same speed at the end. All of them say that since day one the new IO has feeling of a better wheel than the old one.

I have never ridden 808 however I don't believe it can be as stiff as 5-stroke wheel. It's faster though (same as HED GT3 which is not as stiff as iO). There is some data about it.
I've taken the liberty of highlighting all of the issues with your opinion of 808 vs IO

The 808 TRACK (not Road) has 20 214mm radial laced Sapim® CX-Ray bladed spokes laced to a high-flange rim. It's very stiff. It weighs 860g. The IO weighs 750g. So, it's only 110g heavier. BTW, the IO isn't lighter than before. It was 750 before the Rio edition.

So, yes, the only downside is +110g heavier. We are talking about a $4000USD wheel or a $1100USD wheel that weighs 110g more. That $2900 can go a long way to save 110g somewhere else. Or I can put the fork down for a sec and save 110g that way!
Old 10-23-17, 12:45 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by bartek.
Hmmm? I don't use Shimano but for Look pedals you can set an exact amount of the exit tension...
Just stop right there

You can set the exit tension of Shimano SPD-SL pedals....with an allen wrench. No need for a new blade or set of pedals. The Shimano MAX (I said it) tension is much higher than LOOK.

I have used several Shimano and LOOK variants. I have 2 generations of Ultegra and LOOK KEO MAX BLADE 12 at home right now.

The tech was available on the Shimano "Lance" pedal in 2002.

A video from 2010:

Last edited by carleton; 10-23-17 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-23-17, 01:02 PM
bartek. 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't think we should talk about money difference cause it doesn't matter to the raw data. Even if a gain is like 0.001% and money difference like $10000. It's up to the buyer if the gains is enough to justify a purchase.

Yeap, you are correct. The old and new iO weights the same. It was right after Rio games when I talked with our sprinters, my fault. Whatever makes the handling better it makes it. If not weight, so I guess something else.

Here is some facts anyway:
- There are faster wheels than Mavic iO
- They are however not as stiff as the iO
- When you say the stiffness is the same or the wheel doesn't flex it literally means that you don't feel a difference but it doesn't mean there is no difference
- You didn't notice any TT differences as for TT you don't really need stiffness as much as aero. In fact you should get better times for the 808, probably you didn't due to more flexy startpoint (even if you didn't notice). And for such short distance like 500/1/3km the difference in aerodynamic doesn't really matter as long as we don't talk about top 3 riders with differences in time about 0.001s. I guess you would have same time with your 1080
- Not many manufactures produce 5-spoke wheels as they are more likely track related and this means very small market
- For Triathlon scene use deep rims or 3-spoke wheels as they are more aero (means faster) than the 5-spokes that are stiffer. Stiffness is not the most desired thing for triathlons.
Old 10-23-17, 01:15 PM
bartek. 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just stop right there

You can set the exit tension of Shimano SPD-SL pedals....with an allen wrench. No need for a new blade or set of pedals. The Shimano MAX (I said it) tension is much higher than LOOK.

I have used several Shimano and LOOK variants. I have 2 generations of Ultegra and LOOK KEO MAX BLADE 12 at home right now.

The tech was available on the Shimano "Lance" pedal in 2002.

A video from 2010:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLou_AD6hHw
I'm sorry but this video is not a specification talk but just marketing bullsh*t. Sure, you can change tension on varies Look pedals with wrench too. But this is limited to the 12Nm MAX. Then you can go with blades up to 20Nm. Show me the data of the Shimano exit tension. Cause the guy from the video make a talk like for newcomers to the bike industry

Look Blade 12 is 12. Shimano SPD-SL has some numbers for sure. I don't care about personal feelings. I do care about raw data. It's obvious that the MAX tension for your Shimano pedals could be bigger than for your Look as 12Nm for look is NOT the max. I'm suggesting you to talk about numbers not your feelings. You can't compare semi-pro Look product to the Shimano product with no information what the MAX tension is. It could be 16Nm which is NOTICEABLE higher tension than your Look. But then again it's not same as 20Nm for the Look. Numbers are numbers.

PS. It doesn't matter if Shimano or Look produce pedals with the highest tension. It matters that we talk/compare the same numbers.
Old 10-23-17, 01:25 PM
carleton
Elitist

Bartek, you write about things of which you have no firsthand experience. Maybe you should wait until you have more experience before taking such a firm, unfounded, stance.

And, yes. There definitely is bull**** around here. I smell it, too
Old 10-23-17, 01:27 PM
Poppit

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The French squad have been with Mavic for as long as I can remember, but at the euros they were using Corima discs and 5 spokes. Faster or money talks?
Old 10-23-17, 01:32 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Poppit
The French squad have been with Mavic for as long as I can remember, but at the euros they were using Corima discs and 5 spokes. Faster or money talks?
When you see the team training on Mavic Ellipse, that’s a clue* that there may be a contractual obligation (read: $$ and/or free products are changing hands).

*Not proof. Just something to consider being that, given the option, most trackies seem to prefer tubular training wheels over clinchers.
Old 10-23-17, 01:39 PM
Poppit

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Yes, we had a number of the young GB riders at our place training on black bikes with no names on them whatsoever, they were DF4s
Old 10-23-17, 01:42 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Can we just stop fighting about whether one is faster or stiffer and just agree, the IOs look really cool.
Old 10-23-17, 01:45 PM
carleton
Elitist

Sorry. I deleted my post about “pay for ad stickers” as I couldn’t find supporting pics. But, I recall it happened. Maybe there was a conflict with Rolf who sponsored the Land Rover team which became Team USA.
Old 10-23-17, 01:48 PM
bartek. 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bartek, you write about things of which you have no firsthand experience. Maybe you should wait until you have more experience before taking such a firm, unfounded, stance.

And, yes. There definitely is bull**** around here. I smell it, too
?? You don't need firsthand experience when you talk about absolute numbers. And absolute numbers are what matter at the end. All higher/lesser/min/max adjectives are just cheap talk. If you are ok with this, it's fine. But the talk is pointless then. There is a MAX value of tension for any clipless pedals (it can be fixed while using blades). There is the number for SPD-SL as well. As long as you don't provide this number your judgement is worthless, I'm sorry. It's nothing more than marketing/placebo feelings. I am engineer, I leave my feelings behind me when I work on numbers.
Old 10-23-17, 01:51 PM
bartek. 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Poppit
I wouldn't say that this is a point but you Look is in cooperation with Corima (see the Look website). Maybe this matters for any reason.
Old 10-23-17, 02:01 PM
carleton
Elitist

In regards to stiffness:

We should note the difference between “Stiffer than...” and “Stiff enough for me”.

If you aren’t over 200lbs riding 40mph/65kph into 44 degree turns on a tight 250m track and this cumulatively CREATING enough force to flex a given wheel, then its stiff enough for you.

Same with cranks. If you can’t flex your budget cranks then you don’t *need* stiffer cranks.

That’s like never, ever driving over 85mph but *needing* a car that goes 200mph.

The bike industry thrives on making us think we need something that’s “stiffer”, “lighter”, or “faster”. When I worked in a bike shop, during training the owner told me that the key to selling high priced gear is to drop those three words during your description of the product and they will buy it.

He was right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.