Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Rear Child Seat Advice Needed

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-15, 03:19 PM
MTBMaven
This is Shangri La

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm a long time road, mountain, tourer, commuter cyclist. I would love to build up a cargo bike like the Yuba Mungo for around town cycling/transportation with my daughter, but before I go through all that I'd like to start smaller and see how well she (and mom) takes to the idea.

I'm looking for advice on rear mount child seats, that will presumably attach to my existing Tubus rack. Which companies should I look at? Any preferred models? Any considerations I should think about? Quickly releasing from the rack is nice but not required.

My daughter is 15 months now. She is about 23#s now and 33" tall. We live in SoCal.
Old 12-29-15, 10:27 AM
mel2012

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
For a rear seat that mounts to an existing rack, I recommend either the Bobike Maxi City or the Yepp Maxi Easy Fit. Since the price is so much lower, I recommend ordering from Holland Bike Shop; even with a $40 shipping charge, the total price is more than $50 less than the American distributors!:

Home / Bicycle Seat / Bobike Bicycle Seat / Bobike City Bicycle Seat / Bobike Maxi City Urban Grey - Carrier Attachment

Home / Bicycle Seat / GMG Yepp Bicycle Seat / GMG Yepp Bicycle Seat / GMG Yepp Easy Fit Bicycle Seat / Gmg Rear Child Seat Yepp Maxi Easy Fit Blue

A point in favor of the Yepp is that if you did end up with a cargo bike, both the Yuba Mundo and the Xtracycle Edgerunner platforms are designed to work with this seat (the pre-drilled deck holes are aligned with the holes for the Easy Fit Adapter. The Bobike adapter is a little lower profile, so it would keep the seat lower.
Old 12-30-15, 05:16 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Topeak child seat with rack is another One .. TopeakŪ Cycling Accessories ? Products - BabySeat? II & BabySeat? II Rack
Old 12-31-15, 05:33 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
My experience is that seat makers do not want the uncertainty of attaching to another rack so they require you to use their rack. We used the heck out of a Rhode Gear seat until the kids outgrew it.