Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Slipping boas in shoes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Slipping boas in shoes

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-12, 08:43 PM
recursive
Geosynchronous Falconeer

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Rush Hour, Campy Habanero Team Ti, Soma Double Cross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Slipping boas in shoes

I went down to the LBS to try out some new road shoes. I tried the s works boa shoes. (they have a little cable that tightens instead of a ratchet or velcro strap) They fit nicely and everything, and I like the idea, but they seemed to have a major problem. When I put the shoes on and flexed my feet, it would cause the boa to loosen. You can see the dial turning backwards as I did it. I would tighten the dial and flex again and they would just slip backwards. How does anyone keep them tight? Was I doing it wrong?
Old 02-23-12, 09:19 PM
grwoolf

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They come with a little tool to adjust the 'drag' on the boa wheel to keep it from slipping.
Old 02-24-12, 12:24 AM
s4one

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Makes sure you are turning the boa the right direction, the knob needs to click into locking position.

Try turning the other way.
Old 02-24-12, 02:18 AM
jmX

Bikes: Roubaix / Shiv

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by s4one
Makes sure you are turning the boa the right direction, the knob needs to click into locking position.

This.
Old 02-24-12, 07:44 AM
grwoolf

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by s4one

Maybe they changed the s-works shoe this year, but last year's model didn't click into a locking position (it's basically always 'locked' via a friction ratchet). To release it, you just turned it the other way. This allows you to make small adjustments either way, but can loosen itself if the drag isn't set right. Most of the boa's I've seen on other shoes have you pull the knob out to release completely, I think it's a better design because it can't slip.
Old 02-24-12, 08:03 AM
Hendricks97

Bikes: All City Nature Boy, Salsa Ti Fargo, Kona Electric Ute

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The boa is a great idea that hasnt yet reached its optimum efficency. Im a golfer and Footjoy has been using the Boa system on their golf shoes for years and they have all sorts of issues with them
Old 02-24-12, 08:34 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
I'm not sure it's even a great idea. I don't see the benefits are better than a typical ratchet and the drawbacks are big
Old 02-24-12, 08:51 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Not a fan of buckles or Boas. Velcro is where it's at. Unfortunately it's becoming uncommon except on low-end and highest-end shoes.
Old 02-24-12, 09:54 AM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
I do most of my shoe adjustment with the top buckle/ratchet...mostly leaving the two other velcro straps pretty slack. Does the boa system prevent you from doing that and pretty much provide even tension?

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 02-24-12, 11:07 AM
jmX

Bikes: Roubaix / Shiv

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
IMO boas are far better than velcro or buckles. I dunno who is having problems with Specialized boas. It's certainly a good idea and is way easier for me to adjust during the ride. I can also adjust the tension *through* my shoe covers...try that with a buckle. Ratchets also weigh a bit more, and don't provide as even a tension as the wire in the boa system does. Velcro on the other hand, is harder to dial in that perfect tension, especially while riding. With the boa system its easy to go one click tighter or looser if its *almost* perfect. Of course all 3 systems (4 if you include laces) are fine, and we're being nitpicky here, but if you objectively compare them all I really do think the BOA is the best.

DStrong, specialized boa shoes will have 1 boa and 1 velcro, 2 boas, or 2 boas and 1 velcro. You can leave the toe-end stuff slack if you want, and just adjust the ankle-end one to be tight if you wish.

As for the OP's original post, the shoes will do exactly what he described when they are wound the wrong way. It is not something somebody will encounter after they buy the shoe and figure out which way to turn the dial.

I love my boa's on my MTB shoes, as well as my Road shoes. 6000 miles and I've had no issues.

Last edited by jmX; 02-24-12 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-24-12, 11:29 AM
ilovecycling

Bikes: LOOK 595 & Cannondale CAAD9

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jmX
IMO boas are far better than velcro or buckles. I dunno who is having problems with Specialized boas. It's certainly a good idea and is way easier for me to adjust during the ride. I can also adjust the tension *through* my shoe covers...try that with a buckle. Ratchets also weigh a bit more, and don't provide as even a tension as the wire in the boa system does. Velcro on the other hand, is harder to dial in that perfect tension, especially while riding. With the boa system its easy to go one click tighter or looser if its *almost* perfect. Of course all 3 systems (4 if you include laces) are fine, and we're being nitpicky here, but if you objectively compare them all I really do think the BOA is the best.

DStrong, specialized boa shoes will either 1 boa and 1 velcro, 2 boas, or 2 boas and 1 velcro. You can leave the toe-end stuff slack if you want, and just adjust the ankle-end one to be tight if you wish.

As for the OP's original post, the shoes will do exactly what he described when they are wound the wrong way. It is not something somebody will encounter after they buy the shoe and figure out which way to turn the dial.

I love my boa's on my MTB shoes, as well as my Road shoes. 6000 miles and I've had no issues.
I fully agree. I love the BOA system on my S-works road shoes. No slippage or any problems at all. The dual-zone BOAs are great compared to the horrible single-BOA design that Lake uses on their shoes. You can lock your ankle down with the top BOA dial and then fine-tune the mid and forefoot support with the lower BOA dial. The end result is a shoe that is secure and comfortable as a sock.
Old 02-24-12, 12:08 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
I'm leery of using boa, because I like my toes loose and my ankles tight. velcro straps or buckles can be set independantly.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 02-24-12, 12:13 PM
zigmeister

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You are doing it wrong, they don't slip. You push the dial down to snap it into place. Then lift up on it to release/loosen them.

Had mine for a year, no problems with slipping. 10x better design and though than 40yr old velcro straps. One simple mechanism, one velcro strap at the toe, which I never touch.
Old 02-24-12, 12:34 PM
recursive
Geosynchronous Falconeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zigmeister
You are doing it wrong, they don't slip. You push the dial down to snap it into place. Then lift up on it to release/loosen them.

Had mine for a year, no problems with slipping. 10x better design and though than 40yr old velcro straps. One simple mechanism, one velcro strap at the toe, which I never touch.
This thread convinced me that I was turning the dial backwards. I went back to the shop. This thread is wrong. The shop agrees the shoe is defective and they are returning it. Last year's S works shoe had a dial you lift up, but this years does not operate that way. If specialized can deliver a working shoe, I'll buy it because i love the concept. Otherwise I won't. That's all I have to say.
Old 02-24-12, 12:34 PM
recursive
Geosynchronous Falconeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
I'm leery of using boa, because I like my toes loose and my ankles tight. velcro straps or buckles can be set independantly.
The new S Works shoes have two independent boa "zones", so you still can do that.