Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

How do you train your dog to heel on a bike ride?

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-12, 01:53 PM
Fishmonger
Hooray for most things!

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently saw a man coasting on his bike as 3 sled dogs happily pulled him along. He was getting a free ride, doing no work, and the dogs loved it.

Now, I don't have a sled dog nor do I want to be pulled - I love the exercise. But I would love to have a companion on my rides. My wife won't ride with me, so I'm hoping someone has experience with training dogs to stay close. Running without a leash is not an option.

Thanks!
Old 11-09-12, 02:20 AM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Look for advice for training him off the bike first I guess. I ride with my dog loose but mainly in rural areas, and he is a smart dog (Border Collie). Also you could try pulling the dog in a trailer. Company + extra weight to strengthen your legs. Also I guess he`ll get used to the bike as "part of the pack" this way. My dog would newer chase a person on a bike, he is a bikerider himself.

https://www.dogdaysnw.com/doc/Overall...onProtocol.pdf
Old 11-14-12, 06:11 PM
RALEIGH_COMP 

Bikes: 78 raleigh competition 70's Gitane Hosteller, '85 StumpJumper, 90's Rockhopper Commuter, '68 Raleigh Sports, 2018 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 39 Posts
Seems like an accident waiting to happen. I have seen a guy with his dog happily riding along on a bike path as you describe, but going the other way there was a pedestrian with their dog. The biking dog went past them, but at the last minute it decided to go say hi and turned around. guy went down hard. i know many people do this as i see it quite often, especially people with beach cruisers. hope you dont try this, but if you do be careful.
Old 11-21-12, 09:13 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Don't

If I am a bicycler either passing you or coming from the other direction, I HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT THE POTENTIAL BEHAVIOR OF YOUR DOG. This means that I will have to slow down or stop until you pass (I am a very defensive rider, resulting in 14 years without an accident of this type), or pass you extremely carefully.

It is like the person who tells you - "My dog won't hurt you" and my response is "Not yet."

A friend of mine was knocked over by a dog (she is small) and resulted in extensive forearm and wrist injuries. Are you willing to pay for those?

Also, in our town you would likely be violating the leash law.

A squirrel, another friendly dog, a horse - anything can cause your "well-trained" dog to do things for which you had not planned.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 11-21-12 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-23-12, 08:39 AM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Most Dogs are not bread for running,,
Your beloved pet could very likely kill himself trying to keep up with you..

Unbreakable dog rules,,

Rule One:
All dogs bite,

Rule Two:
You cannot change rule one.

Rule Three:
Absolute control of an animal by a human works absolutly, Untill the animal decides otherwise......
Old 12-22-12, 01:05 AM
momsonherbike

Bikes: All mine are electric bikes now

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
A friend has a dog-walker pole extension on her bike for jogging her dog. Keeps him just the right distance from the bike. She loves it. So does the dog.
Old 12-25-12, 07:04 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

I know that what is written here won't stop you dog bicycling folks. Please, for others sakes, carry good liability insurance and medical insurance for others. You might want to place you home in a trust to prevent its loss in a lawsuit.
Old 12-25-12, 09:07 PM
k_randomfactor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fishmonger
I recently saw a man coasting on his bike as 3 sled dogs happily pulled him along. He was getting a free ride, doing no work, and the dogs loved it...
It is a sport/training aid for sled dogs called "bikejoring". There are other related sports: skijoring (having a dog pull you on skis in the snow), "scootering" (pulled on special off-road two-wheeled scooters), and "canicross" (running behind your dog while wearing a harness, and connected to the dog). They are apparently moderately popular in Northern Europe, and gaing in popularity here in the States.

If Muttley weren't still a puppy with a severe case of ADHD, both he and I would love doing something like bikejoring. He is bred to run, and pull loads (husky mix), but he is still way too much "Oooh SHINY!" for me to really trust him in those endeavers right now. He isn't even ready for agility, which he would also excel at.

He has to make do with weight pull training instead.

Only you, and your vet, can really determine if your dog is physically suitable for long distances beside a bike (most are not!), and suitable to safely run beside your bike without causing mayhem. That is a very personal, case-by-case, basis.

If there is any question, err on the side of "don't". It's not fair to the dog, you, others that are out and about, and sends a very poor message about dog owners to the populace at large. Add in a bicycle, and you could be sending all sorts of bad vibes out.

I love dogs, like them better than most people, and am an advocate for canine training, sports, and games, but do please be careful. If you want to do more active things with your dog, look into games like agility, rally, obedience comps, or flyball. Granted, you won't be on a bike, but those can be moderately active, and can give you some good times with the whole family and the dog, in a safe, controlled arena.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I know that what is written here won't stop you dog bicycling folks. Please, for others sakes, carry good liability insurance and medical insurance for others. You might want to place you home in a trust to prevent its loss in a lawsuit.
For the record, you don't come across as pro-safety, but as anti-dog. I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up lack of background in internet coms.

Do you slow down or stop for any dog on a leash you encounter while out riding? Young guy with a German Shepard? Grandma walking her poodle? College co-ed biking with her border collie?

Dogs off leash are a whole 'nuther ballgame. I run into those constantly here in the country. Annoys me no end, and yes, is pretty worrisome.

It really doesn't matter if I'm biking with my dog, or walking him on a leash at the park, or if knocks someone down in my house. If a dog is not controllable, it needs training or a new owner. Most times, and I've seen it, the only person injured in a dog/bike/squirrel incident is the owner. Conversely, I've seen chihuahuas and cocker spaniels injure folks in the owners living room.

Granted, insurance covering pets is a good idea regardless. Been meaning to check on my renters policy.
Old 12-30-12, 08:16 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by k_randomfactor
It is a sport/training aid for sled dogs called "bikejoring". There are other related sports: skijoring (having a dog pull you on skis in the snow), "scootering" (pulled on special off-road two-wheeled scooters), and "canicross" (running behind your dog while wearing a harness, and connected to the dog). They are apparently moderately popular in Northern Europe, and gaing in popularity here in the States.

If Muttley weren't still a puppy with a severe case of ADHD, both he and I would love doing something like bikejoring. He is bred to run, and pull loads (husky mix), but he is still way too much "Oooh SHINY!" for me to really trust him in those endeavers right now. He isn't even ready for agility, which he would also excel at.

He has to make do with weight pull training instead.

Only you, and your vet, can really determine if your dog is physically suitable for long distances beside a bike (most are not!), and suitable to safely run beside your bike without causing mayhem. That is a very personal, case-by-case, basis.

If there is any question, err on the side of "don't". It's not fair to the dog, you, others that are out and about, and sends a very poor message about dog owners to the populace at large. Add in a bicycle, and you could be sending all sorts of bad vibes out.

I love dogs, like them better than most people, and am an advocate for canine training, sports, and games, but do please be careful. If you want to do more active things with your dog, look into games like agility, rally, obedience comps, or flyball. Granted, you won't be on a bike, but those can be moderately active, and can give you some good times with the whole family and the dog, in a safe, controlled arena.

Good luck!

For the record, you don't come across as pro-safety, but as anti-dog. I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up lack of background in internet coms.

Do you slow down or stop for any dog on a leash you encounter while out riding? Young guy with a German Shepard? Grandma walking her poodle? College co-ed biking with her border collie?

Dogs off leash are a whole 'nuther ballgame. I run into those constantly here in the country. Annoys me no end, and yes, is pretty worrisome.

It really doesn't matter if I'm biking with my dog, or walking him on a leash at the park, or if knocks someone down in my house. If a dog is not controllable, it needs training or a new owner. Most times, and I've seen it, the only person injured in a dog/bike/squirrel incident is the owner. Conversely, I've seen chihuahuas and cocker spaniels injure folks in the owners living room.

Granted, insurance covering pets is a good idea regardless. Been meaning to check on my renters policy.
I've been on the internet since about 1986 - how about you? Back then we used modems and BB's. My first modem was 300 bpm. How about yours? I run three web sites and 3 listservs. I started the 50+ forum, and, by the way, Joe and I started this forum -

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ional-cyclists!!

Yep. They like me. Sorry you don't.

One of my best friends was knocked over by a dog. She is still having wrist surgeries and therapy. I was knocked over by a dog. My wife was knocked over by a dog. All supposedly "trained."

I am neither pro nor anti dog. I am pro safety. I slow down for ANY dog, no matter who is holding the leash - or - no leash. If you don't like my internet technique you can - well, I won't say those words here.

Dogs and bicycles, especially dogs attached to bicycles, don't mix well on MUPS. If you have your own private trail - go for it.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-30-12 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-04-13, 04:08 PM
Mastermind77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
THis is what you need right here. We currently use one for our German Shorthairs and you have complete control of them. They cannot pull you and have to go where you go. Take it slow when you start but they generaly figure it out in no time.

https://www.amazon.com/Petego-Walky-H.../dp/B003OYIAW4
Old 01-06-13, 09:35 AM
k_randomfactor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I've been on the internet since about 1986 - how about you? Back then we used modems and BB's. My first modem was 300 bpm. How about yours? I run three web sites and 3 listservs. I started the 50+ forum, and, by the way, Joe and I started this forum -

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ional-cyclists!!

Yep. They like me. Sorry you don't.

One of my best friends was knocked over by a dog. She is still having wrist surgeries and therapy. I was knocked over by a dog. My wife was knocked over by a dog. All supposedly "trained."

I am neither pro nor anti dog. I am pro safety. I slow down for ANY dog, no matter who is holding the leash - or - no leash. If you don't like my internet technique you can - well, I won't say those words here.

Dogs and bicycles, especially dogs attached to bicycles, don't mix well on MUPS. If you have your own private trail - go for it.
Background. There it goes, rearing it's ugly head again... I should have said "context, subtext, and background non-verbal communication". Whoops, my bad. And congrats, you've been on the intardwebz 7yrs longer than I have. Glad you have lots of friends, and they think you're great. Seriously.

As far as MUPs, well, they're there for everybody. Multi-use as it were. Joggers, bicyclists, dog walkers, power walkers, etc. Comes with the territory. Thousands of dogs walk by thousands of cyclists every day with no problems on greenways and MUPs around the country. I'm sorry that people you know have been injured by dogs, but a small number of dog related injuries doesn't justify relegating all dogs everywhere to a chain in the backyard, which it really sounds like you are advocating.

If you don't like dogs and have a phobia regarding them, well, no real skin off my teeth. But that doesn't mean I can't walk my dog on my local greenway, whether you like it or not.

I'll agree that dogs attached to bikes, by and large and except in very few cases, is a pretty silly idea. I wouldn't do it except on my private trails, and I don't do it even then since my dog isn't ready for it.

Have a pleasant day.
Old 02-04-13, 02:08 PM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Yea, MUPs are wide open. It's tough, but my theory is to reduce my speed to fit the others around me --including little kids and strollers and dogs. But dogs and bikes don't mix well in my experience.

On a tour last year we had a long stretch on gravel and a local farm dog that decided to join us. For 10 miles we had frequent near-falls from that dog dancing back and forth between bikes. It wasn't till we hit pavement again and picked up the pace and were able to drop him (that dog could run) that we were finally comfortable riding.

Last edited by dbg; 02-04-13 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-15-13, 04:24 PM
tpolley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the op isn't talking about letting the dog run loose, he specifically said it's going to be on a leash. i'm getting the impression that some are suggesting that dogs shouldn't be allowed on multi-use trails at all, which i think is ridiculous.

anyway, i, to, have been wanting to bike with my dog jogging along side me.

i've seen a few different bicycle leash attachments. there's a springer, that attaches to your seat post. i think this is kinda dangerous. if the dog pulls, it pulls on your seat post and is more likely to pull you over.

next is a sunlite pyramid dog leash that attaches near or on the rear axle. i think this one is safer because if the dog pulls, its less likely to pull you over.

i think in any case you have to be extremely carefull about how fast and how long you ride. dogs are stubborn. they'll run themselves into the ground to keep up with their master. i'm sure i don't have to tell you, but take it slow, take frequent brakes, and bring plenty of fresh water. it wouldn't be a bad idea to have some sort of plan in case the dog injures his/her self and can't walk back to the car.
Old 02-16-13, 09:50 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
The trick is repetition of slowing down or stopping when the dog runs ahead; call him back, tell him to sit, then continue. Rover will figure out pretty quickly that if he want to run he has to run beside you.

Until you are very very confident in your dog's behaivior and your balance while holding a leash, only do this in safe (very quite streets or empty parking lots) areas at very slow (maybe slightly faster than walking speed).

In my experience, most dogs get enough stimulation from walking at their masters' pace, so going a wee bit faster for the first dozen or so outings will give them plenty of stimulation and exercise.

PS. I don't know who these people are who are constantly getting knocked over and injured by dogs... probably people who are so nervous around dogs they say things like:
"Rule One:
All dogs bite"
(Pro tip: no they don't)

But the fact is that the dog misbehaving is always a possibility and as the rider/master you are most likely to be hurt, so pay very close attention to the dog at all times... the second you decide to zone out and stare at the clouds is the second Fido sees a squirrel or a cat giving him the finger.

Old 02-17-13, 09:59 PM
doublegg66

Bikes: 2015 gravity bullseye monster fatbike,2013 salsa vaya. 90's diamondback MTB,84 univega.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I put mine in the trailer and when we get to our stopping point I wake her up and we play.
Old 03-27-13, 09:37 PM
RickBlane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was easy. I just put her in the front basket. Any time I stop she gets down to play. Thats her job. I pack a lunch for us on most rides.

I do not ride for speed or over rough ground or in bad weather. I ride for fun and having my best friend with me makes every ride more fun than the last.

Last edited by RickBlane; 04-03-13 at 11:45 PM.