Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

Maybe I'm just old and bitter

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-13, 10:54 AM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Maybe I'm just old and bitter

After riding across town trying to not run through piles of broken glass and nearly being taken out by cars that don't care to even slow down when turning right on a red I encountered this.

No Parking? Not in Antioch by ccorlew, on Flickr

I have a good job that's a nice bike commuting distance. I have colleagues I enjoy working with. I have a house I like. But Antioch? This place gets worse every day.
Old 03-17-13, 11:04 AM
SClaraPokeman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
If it's "No Parking" anytime wouldn't it make sense for the city to paint the curb red to make the fact exceedingly clear?
Old 03-17-13, 01:32 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
you could move to Rio Vista. i hear route 120's not a bad commute.
Old 03-17-13, 04:18 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Someone with a diamond on the end of their Flash Flag needs to ride by there.
Old 03-17-13, 08:04 PM
gpelpel

Bikes: Time RXRS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, you can view it positively...
So many good citizen volunteering to pay parking fines to increase the town budget for more bike lanes.
Old 03-18-13, 08:21 AM
PrincessZippy
"Ride Lots!"

Bikes: many

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Isn't there a park there off to your right? One that doesn't have a parking lot?

We saw you guys riding on Saturday on Hillcrest. It must have been at the start of your ride. It was a gorgeous day.

Veronica
Old 03-18-13, 09:16 AM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

PrincessZippy: Veronica: It's in front of Black Diamond Middle School. We went to see Tricia's students play soccer.

SClaraPokeman: I think it isn't painted red because it is a drop off zone, like that's a good idea too. There is a drive through drop zone, so it SHOULD be red here....

Enough whining. I'm off to ride!
Old 03-18-13, 09:23 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
After riding across town trying to not run through piles of broken glass and nearly being taken out by cars that don't care to even slow down when turning right on a red I encountered this.

No Parking? Not in Antioch by ccorlew, on Flickr

I have a good job that's a nice bike commuting distance. I have colleagues I enjoy working with. I have a house I like. But Antioch? This place gets worse every day.
These are the kinds of things I post to my local PD's Facebook page. I make sure I tell them the location. It works better than you would think.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 03-18-13, 10:44 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
PrincessZippy: Veronica: It's in front of Black Diamond Middle School. We went to see Tricia's students play soccer.
I'm told the rules don't apply to soccer moms and swim meets.
Old 03-18-13, 11:54 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Curtis:

Allow me to clarify for you. Yes, you are old and bitter. You also happen to be right . . . .
Old 03-18-13, 03:27 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
It would seem the "No Parking Anytime" sign would be at odds with the white "loading zone" curb.

I'm guessing that since it is adjacent to a school, the intent was to have a pickup/drop-off area, and the No Parking sign is so folks don't park there for extended periods of time? Dunno........

IMO it should either be painted white with a "loading zone" sign and time limit, or read and "No Parking". As it sits, it is kind of goofy. Jut out of curiosity - were the cars unattended, or occupied?

S. J. Perelman
Old 03-18-13, 04:46 PM
PrincessZippy
"Ride Lots!"

Bikes: many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was thinking it was that park on Prewet Ranch as you head out to Empire Mine Road.

Did they win the soccer game?

Veronica
Old 03-18-13, 05:23 PM
scrubbo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It doesn't say "No Paintballing" so I suggest you get a hand-held paintball gun and 'tag' all the offenders on the way by.
Old 03-18-13, 05:47 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Things apparently aren't much better in San Ramon. Here's one I took toward the end of a club ride last month:

There were bike lanes filled with parked cars on both sides of the street with periodic 'No Parking Any Time' signs.
Old 03-19-13, 01:11 PM
AndreyT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by SClaraPokeman
If it's "No Parking" anytime wouldn't it make sense for the city to paint the curb red to make the fact exceedingly clear?
This curb is obviously painted white, to designate a passenger drop off zone. Painting it red would prohibit passenger drop off, which is probably unacceptable.

In other words, white curb spells "no parking" as clearly and as explicitly as red one would. It is just that some people don't know or don't care what white curb means.
Old 03-19-13, 01:18 PM
recursive
Geosynchronous Falconeer

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Rush Hour, Campy Habanero Team Ti, Soma Double Cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I for one didn't know that any colored curb other than red had any meaning.
Old 03-19-13, 03:16 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by recursive
I for one didn't know that any colored curb other than red had any meaning.
Yellow is for a commercial loading zone, and every once in a while you'll see a blue one for handicapped parking.

S. J. Perelman
Old 03-19-13, 04:43 PM
JoelS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Curtis:

Allow me to clarify for you. Yes, you are old and bitter. You also happen to be right . . . .
Yup. I'm not old yet, but I'm bitter. Git off my lawn!

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
Old 03-19-13, 06:31 PM
bjorke
Idealistic Troublemaker

Bikes: Friday, Brompton, Soma, Fuji, Haro, No_Name...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like the PD Facebook page idea tremendously.

In front of a school? Figures. The parents from the elementary school next to us park IN MY DRIVEWAY on a nearly daily basis. Not in front of. IN.

(yes, I considered putting a cinder block there. Yes, there is a sign. But I was warned that I could be sued by a trespasser whose car was damaged, and also it may snag guests who actually belong -- or even me)
Old 03-19-13, 09:16 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by bjorke

In front of a school? Figures. The parents from the elementary school next to us park IN MY DRIVEWAY on a nearly daily basis. Not in front of. IN.

(yes, I considered putting a cinder block there. Yes, there is a sign. But I was warned that I could be sued by a trespasser whose car was damaged, and also it may snag guests who actually belong -- or even me)
People going to the farmer's market used to park in my driveway... one time I parked behind the offending car and blocked them in.
Old 03-20-13, 09:04 AM
toytech

Bikes: enough bikes to qualify for Hoarders......

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That used to happen at my parents house in Berkeley, until we started calling the tow truck....
Old 03-24-13, 06:40 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

The police can write them tickets AND tow the car, even if they show up before the tow truck.
Old 03-24-13, 06:52 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
The police can write them tickets AND tow the car, even if they show up before the tow truck.
Antioch has about zero officers for traffic. The clever citizens here just voted DOWN a minor tax increase for more cops, despite the fact that Antioch has become haven for burglars and other assorted criminals. They don't really have time to handle the myriad shootings and other violent crime. Bike lane parking violations aren't on their high priority list.
Old 03-24-13, 10:14 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by AndreyT
This curb is obviously painted white, to designate a passenger drop off zone. Painting it red would prohibit passenger drop off, which is probably unacceptable.

In other words, white curb spells "no parking" as clearly and as explicitly as red one would. It is just that some people don't know or don't care what white curb means.
It's also true that some people don't care what all those "bike lane" markings mean:
[h=3]V C Section 21211 Obstruction of Bikeways or Bicycle Paths or Trails[/h]
[h=4]Obstruction of Bikeways or Bicycle Paths or Trails[/h] 21211. (a) No person may stop, stand, sit, or loiter upon any class I bikeway, as defined in subdivision (a) of Section 890.4 of the Streets and Highways Code, or any other public or private bicycle path or trail, if the stopping, standing, sitting, or loitering impedes or blocks the normal and reasonable movement of any bicyclist.
(b) No person may place or park any bicycle, vehicle, or any other object upon any bikeway or bicycle path or trail, as specified in subdivision (a), which impedes or blocks the normal and reasonable movement of any bicyclist unless the placement or parking is necessary for safe operation or is otherwise in compliance with the law.
(c) This section does not apply to drivers or owners of utility or public utility vehicles, as provided in Section 22512.
(d) This section does not apply to owners or drivers of vehicles who make brief stops while engaged in the delivery of newspapers to customers along the person's route.
(e) This section does not apply to the driver or owner of a rubbish or garbage truck while actually engaged in the collection of rubbish or garbage within a business or residence district if the front turn signal lamps at each side of the vehicle are being flashed simultaneously and the rear turn signal lamps at each side of the vehicle are being flashed simultaneously.
(f) This section does not apply to the driver or owner of a tow vehicle while actually engaged in the towing of a vehicle if the front turn signal lamps at each side of the vehicle are being flashed simultaneously and the rear turn signal lamps at each side of the vehicle are being flashed simultaneously.

Those folks aren't delivering newspapers, picking up trash (I don't care what others think of their children), doing utility work or towing anybody away. The curb color is irrelevant. People are not allowed to park in bike lanes in CA. No, bike lanes aren't passenger pick-up zones either. If you want to use them as such, move north since OR allows motorists to use bike lanes for that purpose.
Old 03-25-13, 12:09 PM
bsektzer

Bikes: Pinarello Paris/Ui2, BMC TeamMachine SLR01/Campy Record EPS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Antioch has about zero officers for traffic. The clever citizens here just voted DOWN a minor tax increase for more cops, despite the fact that Antioch has become haven for burglars and other assorted criminals. They don't really have time to handle the myriad shootings and other violent crime. Bike lane parking violations aren't on their high priority list.
For whatever small comfort it may be, the situation in Pittsburg is about the same or worse. Around here, you really need to ride with a fighter pilot's mentality.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.