Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Stem to raise drop bars; recommendations?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-15, 09:12 AM
mfcity

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Er, not sure this is the right category for my question, but I'm looking for recommendations for a stem to go on an old Dawes Super Galaxy with threaded 1" steerer. I bought a nice 3ttt 90-degree one with 100mm extension, and although the horizontal length is fine, the length from minimum insert to top is quite short. It's interfering with the cable routing to the front cantilever brakes (I think this is solvable through an 'uphanger'/fork-mounted hanger), but in terms of fit, my bars are probably too low with this stem. I haven't checked yet as the brakes aren't connected at the moment. I'll try to post a photo a little later.

One possibility I've found is this DiaCompe Gran Compe XL, which stands tall going into the steerer and has 100mm extension, but I wonder whether there are good alternatives, maybe with more of an upward angle, instead of rising high and then angling back down (see: Dia Compe Xl Gran Compe Alloy Road Quill Stem Stems)
Anyone with more experience in this area who can offer some advice, it would be appreciated. Maybe there's some relevant term I'm ignorant about, but I tried searching for 'riser stems' and 'negative angle' and didn't find much... Thanks.
Old 03-02-15, 09:54 AM
mfcity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, I seem to remember seeing stems in the past that have a hole through with a cable stop in the middle for the cantilever brakes, which would get around my need for an uphanger. Does this ring any bells?
Old 03-02-15, 11:09 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
yea.. I've even drilled a Cinelli 1R. but now many people use an Up from the Fork Crown housing stop.. with a Bolt thru the fork crown holding it On.

The Nitto Dirt drop 80, spec'd on Brigestone's early MB1, had a cable housing stop made in it , and there are early MTB Tig Steel Quill stems made like that.

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-02-15 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-02-15, 11:26 AM
mfcity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
yea.. I've even drilled a Cinelli 1R. but now many people use an Up from the Fork Crown housing stop.. with a Bolt thru the fork crown holding it On.

The Nitto Dirt drop 80, spec'd on Brigestone's early MB1, had a cable housing stop made in it , and there are early MTB Tig Steel Quill stems made like that.
This is good stuff, thanks. I was thinking of one of those uphanger things for the cable routing already, and the Nitto Dirt Drop looks like a possibility, albeit a little more upright than I had in mind.
Old 03-02-15, 11:35 AM
fietsbob
Banned

BBB BHP 20 is a stem riser to use as part of a quill to threadless conversion Combination there are others But BBB is of variable insert depth .

there are stepped steel tube ones Too , OD, 22.2 at the bottom is the same as The ID on top, they are a Big Jump in height.
Old 03-02-15, 11:47 AM
mfcity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, that conversion/riser looks like a smoother solution. Thanks a lot! I suspect I'll have an easier time finding workable threadless stems to fit this than the exact right shape of quill one.
Old 03-02-15, 11:55 AM
mfcity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BBB BHP 20 is a stem riser to use as part of a quill to threadless conversion.
I'm looking at one of these on Wiggle--does it include the threadless conversion, with the metal wedge to fit the steerer tube, or is this a separate item?
Old 03-02-15, 12:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

It includes the Quill tube, wedge and a custom bolt that is a hex with an internal thread *,

it does not include the 1'' to 1.125" slotted shim tube for the stem,(May come with stem)

it includes a number of keyed shims from 7/8" to 1" the OD of a threaded fork, you use all or as few as you wish , and insert the quill in further in the fork.

* I got the BHP 21 for threadless steerers , before the US distributor lost the contract to import them.
Old 03-02-15, 02:20 PM
mfcity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It includes the Quill tube, wedge and a custom bolt that is a hex with an internal thread *,

it does not include the 1'' to 1.125" slotted shim tube for the stem,(May come with stem)

it includes a number of keyed shims from 7/8" to 1" the OD of a threaded fork, you use all or as few as you wish , and insert the quill in further in the fork.

* I got the BHP 21 for threadless steerers , before the US distributor lost the contract to import them.
OK, I'm thinking this is the way to go, in terms of flexibility and price. If I understand correctly, the shim is one like this.
Old 03-02-15, 02:24 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Yea , some flatten off the side where the split is, Thinner, to clear the 2 bolts on the back of the stem better ..
Old 03-03-15, 03:38 PM
mfcity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was lucky today in wandering into the Bike Station asking about the stem extender solution, and the mechanic said he'd just turned one up in a box somewhere which he's willing to give me. Really friendly and helped me decide on the 'modernizing' approach rather than a long/tall quill stem, which also would have been pricier.