Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Do CC tourers ride with a fall back plan?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-14, 03:16 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts

Hi.
I am doing my first "tour", which is planned to be 8-10 days solo. I am planning to CC tour, and along that vein have a Tangle frame bag, a large seat bag, and an Osprey Synchro backpack. I am trying to go rackless. However, I am trying to figure out if I should be carrying a backup plan, like a bivy sack, sleepingbag, and pad. It will be early May, so campgrounds will most likely not be open, and any camping would be stealth.

Should I just put on a rear rack? I have no eyelets on the bike, but that is not a show stopper. I have a great deal of ultra light hiking gear, but no bivy sack. So I would be splurging for a rack and sack. I have an ultralight tent, but am less comfortable stealth camping if I have to pitch a tent.

Thanks for any feedback. I am leaning to not carry anything other than an emergency foil blanket for a forced overnight. Is that too risky?
Old 03-08-14, 03:19 PM
mdilthey

Bikes: Nature Boy 853 Disc, Pugsley SS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Even when I carried a tent, I still liked the bivy bag for the occasional stealth camp. I say yes. You can use a Superlight bivy from Mountain laurel Designs, or if you want something standalone, check out the Snowyside Bivy from Borah Gear (that's mine).
Old 03-08-14, 03:22 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Having never used a bivy, I am assuming that you use a pad inside it, correct?

Edit: I had written seeping bag also, and I know that that is bvy style and temp dependant. Pad is the question.

Last edited by RollCNY; 03-08-14 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-08-14, 03:28 PM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
I'd say it depends where you are touring, how far apart your planned stops are, and how solid your overnight arrangements are. I'd also consider what the expected weather might be. If you're doing, say, the GAP and C&O, I'd probably not bother. Towns and accommodations are close enough together to not get frantic.
Old 03-08-14, 03:29 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
You can put your backpack in a Bike trailer , and the bike is still rackless .

when it rains , in a bivvy sack you have as much room as the meat in a sausage ..

a 2 person tent at least you can get dressed before going outside..

some 1 person tents are so low to not even let you put your shoes on ..
Old 03-08-14, 04:09 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Originally Posted by Altair 4
I'd say it depends where you are touring, how far apart your planned stops are, and how solid your overnight arrangements are. I'd also consider what the expected weather might be. If you're doing, say, the GAP and C&O, I'd probably not bother. Towns and accommodations are close enough together to not get frantic.
That is what is tough. I am doing some of the circumference of NY, and if I stay exactly on schedule, I have a solid plan for every night but 1. The issue becomes if I get off schedule, I end up in no man's land between.

Last edited by RollCNY; 03-08-14 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-08-14, 04:18 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Originally Posted by fietsbob
You can put your backpack in a Bike trailer , and the bike is still rackless .

when it rains , in a bivvy sack you have as much room as the meat in a sausage ..

a 2 person tent at least you can get dressed before going outside..

some 1 person tents are so low to not even let you put your shoes on ..
I actually have a two wheeled trailer, and debated that route if I want to fully loaded tour. But I don't really want to camp every night. If it was later in the season, when all of the campgrounds are open, I would go that route.

And I agree on tent benefits vs bivy. I have a Eureka Zeus 1 which has been a phenomenal single wall 1 person tent, with room to change and camp with my 35 lb dog in it with me. But where I have the gear, my plan is fast and light. But I don't want to be unprepared and dead. So I am trying to figure out balance around carry the least that doesn't put my life in jeopardy, if that makes sense.
Old 03-08-14, 04:42 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I don't see a good reason not to have a rack and almost always have one even on group day rides. Mine weighs under a pound and cost less than $10 from Nashbar - I doubt that I'd be able to notice it while riding. On tours I find that I have much more flexibility with the rack since I can always pick up extra groceries or other items without worrying if they'll fit in limited bag space.

A small, lightweight tent or good bivy opens up options if you find yourself without available motel/hotel options - or even if hit by a cold hard rain shower during the day when away from other shelter. I'd consider it to be worth the extra weight unless you're really sure about each overnight arrangement in advance.
Old 03-08-14, 05:11 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
put the rack on the back. carrying weight day after day on your back can be miserable.

here's what i do.

stuff your sleeping bag inside your bivy, fold your pad and place it inside your stuff sack, THEN stuff your bivy (with your sleeping bag inside) in the stuff sack. if your bivy is waterproof like mine the sleeeping bag with stay dry even in a rainstorm. strap the stuff sack longitudinally on the rack with a couple of light bungees or compression straps. usually takes about 1-2 minutes to camp and decamp...

stay in a cheap motel every couple of nights to regroup, cleanup and retain a positive outlook. good luck.
Old 03-08-14, 06:58 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Thanks for all the feedback folks!
Old 03-08-14, 07:17 PM
fietsbob
Banned

There are lighter , more space efficient tents, now . though Eureka is a bargain

if you are lot going N+1 shopping for another tent, since you own that one.
Old 03-08-14, 07:20 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
Three friends are presently on 11,000 mile Texas tour
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
)1100miles.jpg (99.9 KB, 41 views)

Old 03-08-14, 07:27 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
I usually always have a reservation before rolling into town. I make that decision based on popularity of the region and ease of making reservations.

For example I tour Italy on the off season. You can pretty much always find a room. And making reservations in a foreign country can be difficult.

When I did the Pacific coast I figured that there were not many places to get a room and the coast is always popular.

No matter what I do I always carry a space blanket. I figure it is small an light enough and if I break down and can't get to my lodging for the evening I have a backup plan.

A bivy is a great idea but it has problems. First if you roll into town to try and get a room, and there is none, you might have a significant way to go to find a campsite, unless you want to stealth camp. Then you are still going to need to find a place to hang it.
Old 03-08-14, 08:21 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
No matter what I do I always carry a space blanket. I figure it is small an light enough and if I break down and can't get to my lodging for the evening I have a backup plan.

A bivy is a great idea but it has problems. First if you roll into town to try and get a room, and there is none, you might have a significant way to go to find a campsite, unless you want to stealth camp. Then you are still going to need to find a place to hang it.
Not sure what problems you see with a bivy as opposed to a space blanket. A bivy is basically just a light, waterproof/resistant material in the shape of a bag, so you use it like a space blanket but it gives more protection from rain and also keeps out insects better. Either way you're likely to get rather chilled at night unless you also carry a sleeping bag/blanket or only tour in really warm climates.
Old 03-08-14, 08:33 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

You guys have definitely convinced me to contingency plan. I know that I will lack cell coverage in the dacks and Catskills, so I won't know availabiity until arriving. I have double checked campground opening dates, and they won't open until a week after I return. So it will probaby be a Toba rack and my current tent for safety sake.

I am also seeing that I should grab some more dry sacks. I'm trying to prepare early.
Old 03-08-14, 09:00 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
IMHO - a bivey is fine, but I include a short pad and a light wool blanket in the pack. The pad takes the most space - go for the rack & shed the backpack.
Old 03-08-14, 09:20 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
Not sure what problems you see with a bivy as opposed to a space blanket. A bivy is basically just a light, waterproof/resistant material in the shape of a bag, so you use it like a space blanket but it gives more protection from rain and also keeps out insects better. Either way you're likely to get rather chilled at night unless you also carry a sleeping bag/blanket or only tour in really warm climates.
My mistake maybe. I thought that you had to hang them.
Old 03-09-14, 10:02 AM
fietsbob
Banned

maybe Spinnaker was thinking of these: https://hennessyhammock.com/
it can be a bivvy on the ground, but staked out you wont have it raining

potentially directly on your face, when you poke your head out .. with the awning over you..

bike frame can suspend one end, if only 1 pole. (think suspension bridge)
Old 03-09-14, 10:20 AM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
My mistake maybe. I thought that you had to hang them.
you're probably thinking of horse thieves...
Old 03-09-14, 11:21 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3463 Post(s)
Liked 1,470 Times in 1,147 Posts
If your bike has a good seattube and seatpost (not carbon), you could use a rack that clamps onto the seatpost. My tent without footprint weighs 3 pounds, my 25 degree down bag is a bit over 2 pounds and a light shorty thermarest pad is maybe a pound. Add a pound for a clamp on rack, a couple stuff sacks and plastic bags (stuff sack liners for rainy days) and some nylon straps and you have a 7 pound camping setup.

Some Caradice type saddle bags could hold all this stuff without a rack. A friend of a friend of a friend did the GAP and C&O trail with her father, she used that type of rack for all her gear but her father carried the bulk of the weight, I do not know what her rack and gear weighed.

I try not to put too much weight in an handlebar bag, but that is one more place you could distribute some of the weight. Unfortunately, handlebar bags and their brackets often are quite heavy empty, so do not have a lot more weight capacity. But I always use one for the convenience.

You might want to avoid ambiguous acronyms, it took me a couple minutes to figure out you were credit card (CC) touring, not doing a cross country (CC) tour.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_4906.jpg (101.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 03-09-14, 01:19 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Sorry for vaguery. Credit Card.
Old 03-09-14, 02:22 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When I did my credit card tour from San Francisco to Los Angeles, I took enough spares and tools to be able to repair the bike should anything go wrong. I built the bike from the frame up, so I was pretty certain I could fix any common problem well enough to be able to limp to the next town. I brought an inexpensive headlight, blinking tail light, and reflective vest just in case I wasn't going to make the next stop until after sunset. Worst case I would have stripped the expensive components off the frame (~5min), abandoned it, and started hitchhiking.
Old 03-09-14, 02:43 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Originally Posted by sstorkel
When I did my credit card tour from San Francisco to Los Angeles, I took enough spares and tools to be able to repair the bike should anything go wrong. I built the bike from the frame up, so I was pretty certain I could fix any common problem well enough to be able to limp to the next town. I brought an inexpensive headlight, blinking tail light, and reflective vest just in case I wasn't going to make the next stop until after sunset. Worst case I would have stripped the expensive components off the frame (~5min), abandoned it, and started hitchhiking.
Honestly, you just summed up my initial plan. Spare spokes, tire, tubes, patch kit, pump, spoke wrench, chain tool, spare chain, Allen wrenches, two head lights, three blinkeys, spare batteries, reflective vest, rain gear, thermals, cold weather hat, gloves, and socks, pocket rocket stove, pot, and fuel, street and sun glasses, phone (non smart), tablet, and camera. And on the road food.

The backpack I referred to is essentially a large camelback, and will have little weight in it other than water. I have done a two day 250 mile trip with it stuffed to the gills, carrying everything, and where I won't repeat that loading, I am not concerned about it being uncomfortable lightly loaded.

The thing that I am taking from most of you is that it makes sense to just add the rack and bring the gear I already own, even if I successfully find lodging every night. It is better to have it and not need it than the converse.
Old 03-09-14, 02:46 PM
stevepusser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
A good choice for an emergency pad is one like this: https://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___98096#

Rolls up to the size of a soda can, and is 7 oz. You can also buy fleece blankets along the way for a few bucks at discount stores, if it's not too cold. This won't be an option out in the countryside, though--although newspapers will do in a pinch.

Many suggest calling the pastor of a rural church for permission to camp there in an emergency. Often they will invite you inside. Also, if a public campground is closed, you can often carefully set up out of sight and stay overnight anyway, maybe even in some type of shelter. It's not like you're in a ten ton RV.
Old 03-09-14, 04:04 PM
Cyclist0094
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't over plan, you will only frustrate yourself when things don't go exactly to plan(they seldom do). With few exceptions there isn't more than 15 miles between any two towns in NY state. If you can ride 50 miles a day you will easily be in striking distance of at least two motels. As for public campgrounds, In New York State the unwritten rule has long been that individual hikers and cyclists will been accommodated whether the campground is full or not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.