Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Neo retro

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-24, 04:24 PM
Marinoni 95

Bikes: Marinoni (2)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Neo retro

I got my bike repainted at Marinoni in Februrar and had an Athena 8 speed grouppo. I wanted to increase my cassette with a bigger range beyond my 12-28 but with that hub, it was impossible. So given its age, and the difficulty in finding parts for the few years they ran 8 speeds, I decided to totally rebuild my bike and decided to go with the beautiful silver Campy 11 speed Centaur grouppo.with a Campy Scirrocco wheelset. But once the bike was put together, I was aghast at how radically everything felt after having my old ride fitting like a glove. It was all to do with the shifters which have changed radically since my steeply raked Athenas. First, the Centaurs have a much longer flat part between the bar and the start of the hood's rise, plus that flat part is just so long. So first, I got a 80 cm stem which helped a bit, then I rotated the bars upwards which both increased the angle, but also angled the brake levers outwards at the same time. I can;t see that those shifters have any adjustment screw for that as of yet. Anyway, desperately seeking help from what seems to be a knowledgable crowd. Other steps I might try:- a 60 cm stem and my shop showed me some older 3T bars that have recesses for the shifting cables(nice) and have the bars curve downwards in a shorter distance from the top part of the bar. And ideas appreciated and looked to find issues like mine but failed so far.. Thanks in advance. Unfortunately, I was told only after that I need 10 posts to load a photo.
Old 05-01-24, 10:14 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6313 Post(s)
Liked 4,904 Times in 3,379 Posts
Drop bars now have shorter reach to them as well as a shallower drop than many of the old style drop bars from BITD. And some of the old bars just don't seem to get STI's or whatever Campy's name is for them at the right angle to the bar.

So maybe a new bar and maybe a shorter stem yet. I really like the new shallow reach shallow drop bars that we have today. They let you stay on the hoods in a more aero position than did the old bars.

Most of us like the hoods pointed almost straight ahead to have the body almost parallel to the ground. Some might angle them inward too.

Oh, I found your picture of the bike...

https://www.bikeforums.net/g/picture/33656173

Till you get the 10 posts and maybe a day later, all you need to do is tell us you uploaded to the Gallery and we can find it.

I'd want those shifters a little further down the curve and the bar rotated so the top of the bar is more horizontal. But that's going to leave those drops pointing more downward. Which you might actually like, but other tend to think looks funny. My drops point toward the rear hub. Some people tell me I'm wrong for that.

That old style "7" stem will be a issue for many things to come. If you are industrious enough, you might want to consider changing it to threadless. But that takes some brazing experience or money for someone else's experience. But you can get adapters that have a quill on the end but allow for a pista type stem.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-01-24 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-04-24, 09:53 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 342 Posts
The Soma Highway One compact drop bar is available with a 26.0 mm clamping diameter. The flat top and short reach are designed to work better with dual control levers. https://www.somafab.com/archives/product/highway-1-bar
Old 05-05-24, 09:00 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3915 Post(s)
Liked 1,967 Times in 1,403 Posts
Threaded to threadless adapters are cheap and work perfectly. Then one has access to a zillion inexpensive stems. Google "Threaded stem to threadless adapter".

Do as Iride01 suggests. You'll probably slightly change your hand position on the hoods so that the outside edge of the heel of your hand rests on the hood/bar top. I did exactly this many years ago on my bike. Works great.

What's happened is that our standard position on a road bike has changed somewhat over the decades and bike build configuration has changed to accommodate it. We adapt our position to suit the new technology. It's all fine.

Last edited by Carbonfiberboy; 05-05-24 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-05-24, 09:46 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 151 Posts
These bikes all use older 3TTT bars and Campagnolo 10 speed brifters. You can see how they line up with the top of the bars. Very comfortable, once you find a stem of the right length.

Old 05-05-24, 09:52 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6313 Post(s)
Liked 4,904 Times in 3,379 Posts
Originally Posted by Aubergine
These bikes all use older 3TTT bars and Campagnolo 10 speed brifters. You can see how they line up with the top of the bars. Very comfortable, once you find a stem of the right length.

I like your unabashed use of color on the lower two bike pictures. Even though its a tad eclectic!

I was curious though what that is sticking out above the stem cap on the Trek in the top picture. Just a mount point for something?
Old 05-05-24, 10:02 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I like your unabashed use of color on the lower two bike pictures. Even though its a tad eclectic!

I was curious though what that is sticking out above the stem cap on the Trek in the top picture. Just a mount point for something?
Yes, I use a large handlebar bag so I need an accessory mount to get a front light high enough to do the job. It also holds a computer.

As for the colors . . . I am no big fan of dull bikes! Even plain old silver bikes deserve to pop. (Edit to clarify: that handlebar tape is, ahem, aubergine.)

Last edited by Aubergine; 05-05-24 at 10:34 AM.
Likes For Aubergine: