Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wheel building - finding spoke lengths? Calculators?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-23, 08:25 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts

All,

I am working on a wheel build for my trailer. I am trying to find the spoke lengths. Several years ago I got parts from Ben's Cycle. I don't recall that being that difficult of a process - I got rims and spokes from them and was able to come up with the spoke dimensions pretty easy. This time around I am not finding a method of finding the spoke lengths. Their online "wheel builder" doesn't calculate anything, it just pairs parts together to purchase then they build with the parts you select. I just want to calculate the spoke length then buy the parts from the dimensions.

Are there other wheel builder calculators/resources out there you would recommend that will give me the info I need?

To throw a curve ball in it is I have offset hubs (disk brake hubs - the brake side flange is closer to the center than the opposite of the brake flange) and I want to be able to offset the rim from the centerline. So there are 2 "offsets" I need to compensate for in calculating spokes. The rims aren't going to be centered on the axles as they would in a bike between the drop outs.
Old 08-12-23, 08:35 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
There are lots. Bet you can hit a half dozen first page with a search of "spoke calculator". DT's is good All set up for their stuff but you can enter the measured numbers from anything. Offset rims and hubs won't be an issue. There are enough good calculators out there that you can choose the one you like working with.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 08-12-23, 08:37 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4212 Post(s)
Liked 3,883 Times in 2,318 Posts
I use the DT Swiss calculator. Mostly because that's what I got use to after having used the Sutherlands Manual then the BPP/DT wall chart for decades. I suggest you do your own measurements for ERD as published dimensions have been known to be off by a bit sometimes.

As to off set rims and off center wheels just use the flange to center to "adjust" the center to that of the rim holes, not the axle. Andy
Old 08-12-23, 10:14 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Thanks for the suggestion on the DT calc.

I found this one also:
https://leonard.io/edd/

Looking at the numbers both calculators appear to agree with the standard "rim centered on the axle" calculations.

Looking at the availability of spokes I am thinking of trying to balance the dishing so as to allow the same length spoke all the way around. That would allow me to make better use of a box of 100 spokes. It looks like that is an easier way to get spokes. The length I think I am going to go with is 182mm. Oddysey has a 40 qty tube and DT has a 100 qty box that I have found in that size. I will keep looking and see what other options I can find before I order everything.
Old 08-12-23, 11:25 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
One thing to note is the QBP calculator does not take hub spoke hole widths into account, so your calculations can be off a bit. I had this happen when building up a set of wheels with Sturmey drum brake hubs. Those hubs have spoke holes in the flanges able to accommodate up to 11ga spokes. The calculator must use an arbitrary hole gauge standard, or possibly just to the optimum circle center point of the spoke holes, which yields a spoke too long for the build. A friend who is a shop supervisor has noticed that the QBP calculator consistently gives long spoke calculations due to the spoke hole gauge. It's an easy calculator to use because it has a lot of hubs and rims in the database, and requires no measurements on the part of the builder, but measure anyways just as an idiot check. I like the Damon Rinard calculator on Sheldon Brown's site, but it requires a bit of measurement to use; the database there is extensive but should be taken with a grain of salt and again, actual measurements should be made just to make sure before ordering spokes.
Old 08-12-23, 11:27 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Spocalc has a cell for offsets-
(edit as to has)
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/spocalc.htm

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 08-12-23 at 04:27 PM.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 08-12-23, 01:57 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,437 Posts
As mentioned, there are plenty of free calculators, which are all fine. I've used Spokecalc and found it consistent.

The only advice I can offer is to pick one and stay with it. There are a number of variables which can change the result.

The biggest are the definition of ERD and what calculator considers perfect spoke length. A calculator may want input of the actual rim diameter and factor 3mm or so for the nipple's head. Or it may want the ERD measured to the tops of the nipples and calculate a length that ends there. Or subtract 1mm so the spokes end shy of the tops.

Other variables include 1mm for the difference between the center of the spoke hole and its edge, adding 1mm for the interlace, or a small allowance for elongation of thin spokes, or an adjustment to bias the tolerance high or low.

My point is that if you use multiple calculators you'll get similar, but different results. So pick one, measure carefully buy spokes accordingly. Build the wheel and note the difference between the results and what you prefer. Thereafter you can factor that and get the exact results every time.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 08-12-23, 07:04 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Spocalc has a cell for offsets-
(edit as to has)
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/spocalc.htm
I have used Spocalc for decades and it’s never done me wrong. My builds aren’t too weird, though.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 08-13-23, 08:56 AM
KC8QVO

Originally Posted by FBinNY
My point is that if you use multiple calculators you'll get similar, but different results. So pick one, measure carefully buy spokes accordingly. Build the wheel and note the difference between the results and what you prefer. Thereafter you can factor that and get the exact results every time.
Thanks for the detail. Good food for thought.

Though, I don't build enough wheels to get a feel of the detail you mention. That is in a large part why I posted the question here.

The last wheel I built was in 2016.

Until I get another frameset to build up (I have had plans for doing so since about that same timeframe - who knows when I'll get to it) I can't see any need to build another wheel for something unless something breaks.
Old 08-13-23, 10:46 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 1,263 Times in 667 Posts
another suggestion is to keep notes of what the calculator recommended, what you bought, and how the build turned out in terms of spoke length.

and don't absolutely trust the published measurements in the spoke calculators - especially on rim ERD

trailer wheels are kind of a special case requiring you to do all the measurements.

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 08-13-23, 12:21 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,213 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
I found this one...
https://leonard.io/edd/
That's my go-to.
Old 08-13-23, 01:01 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
another suggestion is to keep notes of what the calculator recommended, what you bought, and how the build turned out in terms of spoke length.
/markp
That's why I like Spocalc.
Since it's a spreadsheet, you can save your "recipes". w/ notes. I'll add the spoke length I "should" have used in case my rounding error was off.
It also has a spoke hole diameter cell for the hub.
Old 08-13-23, 03:25 PM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
I have used Spocalc for decades and it’s never done me wrong. My builds aren’t too weird, though.
Absolutely ! ! Has never let me down.