Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Weekend Ride Reports -- June 4/5

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-16, 02:28 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

Welcome to June! Winter here ... summer elsewhere. Tell us about your cycling this weekend, or on the days surrounding the weekend. Tell us about other sports you might have participated in. Where did you go? What did you do?

[HR][/HR]

Prelude: on both Tuesday and Thursday this week I rode my trainer in the workout area Rowan has created for me. Tis the season to ride inside!

Saturday: 77.7 km outside!

There's a major storm coming. They've been advertising it for days now ... supposed to roll in this evening. So we set off relatively early (11 am) in order to get this ride in before the storm arrived, and yet late enough so that the frost would have melted off the roads.

It was about 10C where we live when we set off, and climbed up the Southern Outlet. That's about a 12 km climb and by the time we got to the top, we were both overheating because we had dressed for cold. I figured I'd be shedding clothes as soon as we got to the bottom of the descent.

But when we got to the bottom of the descent, it was indeed cold ... it had dropped to 8C and then down to 7C while we were riding. That was combined with a little breeze and heavy mist all the way out making it feel quite chilly. I was wishing for winter cycling boots! My toe covers weren't quite up to the job.

We turned around and fortunately the mist/drizzle stopped, and what little wind there was dropped off to practically nothing.

We had thought about stopping for lunch, but opted to just keep riding back home instead. A hot shower and coffee were calling! So we kept cycling back to Hobart and then up and over Bonnet Hill.

Our elevation profile shows one big climb at the beginning, then almost flat, and then another big climb at the end. Variety!

Happily, we did the ride within randonneuring time. Mission accomplished!

There were a number of cyclists out there today ... all bundled up and looking rather cold. So we weren't the only ones.
Old 06-05-16, 04:33 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Sunday -- rainy and miserable outside, so we exercised inside!

We spent an hour on the treadmill at the university gym (20 min running, 40 min walking briskly) and I did an extra 10 min on the rowing machine.

Checking the place out as a possible drop-in location for bad weather situations just like this.
Old 06-05-16, 08:55 AM
FeltF2Tarmac
Woman make me faster

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 Di2 2018 Tarmac Comp Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Short ride Saturday, really just a nice day out with a little head wind. Might try a little more mileage than normal for Sunday, provided my aches and pains hold off.
Old 06-05-16, 08:43 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by FeltF2Tarmac
Short ride Saturday, really just a nice day out with a little head wind. Might try a little more mileage than normal for Sunday, provided my aches and pains hold off.
How did your Sunday ride go?
Old 06-05-16, 09:49 PM
FeltF2Tarmac
Woman make me faster

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Sunday was phenomenal. I got on the bike early and it was already pretty warm. I managed just over 25 miles and I was not alone. Lot of cyclist out and it's official, summer is here in the PNW. Despite my issues it's almost mandatory to get out on the bike. It's going to be another great day tomorrow, so I am going out again. I did not ride hardly at all the last 6 months and really getting a feel for it again.
Old 06-05-16, 10:24 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Weekend out of town with GF.

We had a nice ride just short of 30 miles, but she wanted to go a bit further,

as 30 was her previous longest ride.

But then she said that the wife of her running coach had done 40 miles so we went further,

but ended up on a brutal 1,200' climb w/ parts over 20%.

She bagged the 40, but there was substantial suffering.

All ended well, 'tho.

Today we did what was my first tandem ride, on a vintage Schwinn.

Interesting, but a tandem will not be moving up on my N+1 list.
Old 06-06-16, 01:44 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
Today (long weekend) I did an easy 100km riding east into the base of the hills. It was pretty chilly there.
Was trying out some new cold weather gear, which worked pretty good.
Got a flat at a dead end.

Yesterday, headed north, road about 140km. Had a nice tailwind coming back. It was a cool day, however the sun was out, which was nice.
Had a flat that day also.

And the day before that, I headed south, rode about 160km.
Again a nice cool day. Came back with a tailwind.

Feel pretty good.

Back to work tomorrow
Old 06-06-16, 04:52 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No ride Saturday. Had to go in to the office, but picked up number for Highlands Gran Fondo, which was yesterday - and which was quite the experience.

There were only 317 registrations, and a fair number of those (including two of my teammates) were no-shows, on account of heavy rains that were forecast. I'd brought a rain jacket and had a long sleeve coolmax base layer under my jersey, but the jacket was rolled up in a pocket at the start. There were four timed sections, and just as some of us got through the second, the skies opened up, and we had torrential rain for about 20 minutes. No need to take a bottle out of its cage - just open your mouth wide and stick out your tongue and you'd get a nice, refreshing drink. It was still raining when we got to one of the steeper descents, so many of us had to work extra hard to NOT go too fast. I was afraid the rain jacket would get too hot, but it turned out to be just right. I got a little chilly at the last couple of stops and getting underway from them, but the sun never came out and I never got hot at all.

The whole thing was 100 miles and 8,000 feet. In the four timed sections I placed 15th out of 40 in my age group. That accounted for one hour. From the time I started Strava (a few minutes before we got underway) until I handed in the timing chip and turned it off, a total of eight hours had elapsed, with 6:55 moving time. Which was somewhat surprising after GFNY last month - which was a race, timed start to finish, only 8 miles longer and 500' more elevation - where my moving time was 7:44!

Because there were relatively few of us (compared to the GFNY and NJ Gran Fondo), there were never more than a dozen people at the little aid stations, and only the timed sections on park roads were closed to traffic. The awards ceremony was at a brewery, which was kind of cool. All in all, it was fairly intimate, and delightful in that way.
Old 06-06-16, 05:17 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18428 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Saturday: 65 warm, very humid miles in New Jersey with 3,500' of climbing, nearly all of which was in the first 32 miles. The route took me passed the birthplace of Jack "Liver Eating" Johnson, the real life man who was the basis for the film "Jeremiah Johnson" staring Robert Redford.
Old 06-06-16, 06:41 AM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
not much riding this weekend but plenty of stuff going on.

Sat: my GF and friend were doing an Olympic distance triathlon here in CT. While they were doing that i volunteered to do the bike lead out for the pro leader during the run. basically to warn people ahead that they were coming and stuff. The winner destroyed the course record and was fun to watch from up close. for reference he did about 26avg on a 26mi course with 2000' of climbing on it. then ran Then I had plenty of time to go see my GF through the bike/run transition and then watch her finish. my other friend won the mens overall (other than pro's). So for me i did 10k at 10mph avg

Sun: pouring down rain most of the day. we snuck out after lunch for a quick 10mi recovery ride for my GF so her legs wouldn't turn into cement.

Mon: going to be doing a shop ride later tonight which should be pretty fast with a few hills
Old 06-06-16, 07:32 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Thursday did my usual Davis Is. evening ride for 33 miles. Hot with gnats. Also, had a dead bird drop a foot away from me while waiting at a light downtown. I'm guessing it must of hit one of the skyscrapers. Saturday had to drop off the wife at the airport so got a late start. Decided to go to Upper Tampa Bay trail and just do up and down repeats. Wound up with 41 miles. Sunday my legs were pooped. Did manage 35 miles around S. Tampa and Davis Is. Today (Monday) TS Colin is moving through North of here. We are on the rainy side so at least the early part of the week is not looking good for bike rides.
Old 06-06-16, 08:22 AM
silversx80

Bikes: Lynskey R240, 2013 CAAD10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Made some final changes to the CAAD (until my new saddle and pedals get here) and went out for a quick 1.5hr ride. Swapped out the bars, slammed the stem, adjusted the saddle height by 3mm, and replaced cables and housings. It's really dialed in now, but the Lynskey is SRAM while the CAAD is 105... I have to say I like doubletap much better.
Old 06-06-16, 08:25 AM
generalkdi

Bikes: Argon18 Gallium 2016, Trek Emonda SL6 Pro 2018, Salsa Beargrease

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two rides this weekend. Still having sore legs from the Stair climbing challenge of last saturday (yeah... 8 days of sore legs). I decided to test my legs on the bike and see if I could ride decently :

https://www.strava.com/activities/598509780

This was good enough for me, so I decided to join a couple friends for a 100k ride on sunday :

https://www.strava.com/activities/599778684
Old 06-06-16, 09:57 AM
K.Katso
Gold Member

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8, Pinarello Bolide, Argon 18 E-118, Bianchi Oltre, Cervelo S1, Wilier Pista

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On Sunday I rode the amateur version of Milano-Sanremo, 290km. I ended up finishing off the week with that, for a week total of 625km and 7500m of climbing. I'm taking a rest day today
Old 06-06-16, 10:06 AM
Fldaves

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Was scheduled to do a metric century group ride Sunday however, had a car flat so after patching that I rode solo 36 miles with a VERY strong head wind on the way back which in my book made the total effort every bit similar to doing a metric!
Old 06-06-16, 11:31 AM
HOWSER

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spent the majority of the day Saturday glued to my saddle (17.5 hrs) just outside Emporia KS in the Flint Hills. Took a little longer then I expected, a bit windy too.

https://www.strava.com/activities/599628547/overview
Old 06-06-16, 02:06 PM
rfmarotti

Bikes: 2015 Redline Conquest Elite; 2014 Fuji Tahoe 1.1 27.5er; 2006 Scott Speedster S30 (sold); 2001 Specialized S-Works CX; 1990 Trek 750 (sold); 1999 Bianchi Volpe; 1988 Bianchi Campione D'Italia.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
45 miles on saturday. It was high 90s and humid. It sucked. I went through 9 bottles of water.
Old 06-06-16, 07:32 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by K.Katso
On Sunday I rode the amateur version of Milano-Sanremo, 290km. I ended up finishing off the week with that, for a week total of 625km and 7500m of climbing. I'm taking a rest day today
OK, slacker.
Old 06-06-16, 08:07 PM
FeltF2Tarmac
Woman make me faster

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
So I did a four day weekend block of ridding starting Friday and concluding today. It's time for a day off. That's the most I have ridden in a long time, I feel good but one day of rest and see where I am at.
Old 06-08-16, 12:49 PM
WinNT

Bikes: Peugeot City 200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a video report of my weekend ride