Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone remember the late great Ben Lawee ?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Anyone remember the late great Ben Lawee ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-18, 09:12 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
This thread has become quite interesting. 😎 I've ridden a few Univegas, and seen several I'd like to ride. Good to learn about Bertoni bikes, I've seen a couple on CL occasionally, but didn't know about their history or quality.
Old 10-11-18, 09:22 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
I haven't seen it mentioned here but AFAIK the Italvega bikes were made in Italy by Torpado.

We sold a few middle price range Torpados in the mid 70's and then the source dried up. Nice well built bikes. As soon as I saw an Italvega, I knew exactly what it was.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Old 10-11-18, 10:24 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,473 Times in 1,436 Posts
Very, very interesting stuff. In the early 80s, I worked at Toga Bike Shop in NYC which had only one shop then. There are three or four now. We sold all of these brands. We sold Motobecanes and loved them, but when Univega came in, we were so impressed. And now it makes sense to me that Lawee was behind the US models of Motobecane. They did have his touch with the colors and component choices. I noticed in France that Motobecanes were not nearly as nice.

It's also interesting and just a little disappointing that Lawee wasn't a cyclist at all. But I give him credit for having his finger on the pulse of the market as well as just about anyone.

Looking at the lines of bikes he created, Italvega, Motobecane, Windsor, Univega, and Bertoni, I have to take the view that his biggest mistake was not sponsoring a top racing team, because that would have given the Univega or Bertoni brand the respect it deserved.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-13-18, 07:14 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Iconic Motobecane Colors

I'm pretty sure that Ben Lawee was responsible for the iconic black with red lugs Motobecane bikes. I have a 1972 Le Champion in black and red. They were pretty rare. The black and red Grand Records were far more common.

I had some mad money at the end of 2007 and was looking for a grail bike or two. A 1974-76 BIC Orange Moto Team Champion was at the top of the list. Next was a black and red Moto Grand Record.

I'd missed out on 3 eBay auctions in a row. They went for $700-$850 - which was a lot of money for one of those bikes back then.

Then I came across this 1972 Le Champion and ended up being the only bidder at $400! This is one of the eBay photos:

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Old 10-13-18, 09:55 AM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
I own a 21” pearl white “Univega” Gran Rally and the font on the decal is most definitely the font used for ITALVEGA bikes. I believe 1977-1978 was the time of transition from Italy to Japan. It’s almost all original and I posted about the overhaul on here.

I have sold all all of my diamond frame bikes, and will keep this Gran Rally. It’s a sweet, nimble ride.

I appreciate the care and forethought Mr. Lawee put into the bikes.