Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Upgrading my hybrid? Or a new bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-19, 01:43 AM
yates111

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi

As the title suggests I’m undecided on wether to upgrade my current hybrid, it is a cannondale quick cx3 2013 ( I would link to it but I can’t). Anyway I went out on some trails and footpaths nearby and I got a pinch flat as well as being uncomfortable on it. I think this would be solved if I could get a thicker mtb tyre on but this may only be achievable if I get smaller wheels to fit it in the hybrid frame. If I could do this eventually I would also upgrade to hydraulic disc brakes and a new fork too.
So would it be better to upgrade my hybrid that I don’t use or get a mountain bike though this would probably be second hand on my budget as u can’t afford a decent new mountain bike (£500+).
Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-11-19, 03:17 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
You could try going tubeless 1st which would stop pinch flats and give you a bit more cushioning as you could run lower pressures.

If you're going to the expense of getting smaller wheels you may as well get another bike instead would be my opinion
Old 05-11-19, 05:56 AM
yates111

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you, much appreciated.

Another question is how would I change from cable to hydraulic brakes?

Cheers
Old 05-11-19, 06:21 AM
richosti

Bikes: 1974 peugeot noveau folding (restored), 2016 polygon helios a9x, vivente world randonneur patagonia, merida e one twenty 500, new unidentified steel frame??

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by yates111
Thank you, much appreciated.

Another question is how would I change from cable to hydraulic brakes?

Cheers
That's easy, you just buy a complete brake and swap it over. Shimano entry level hydraulic is around $75 AUD each end. Just do the front first
Old 05-11-19, 06:28 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Your rims may not be tubeless rated... so that may or may not work. but there may be more sturdy touring tire options that for your size, like the Schwalbe marathon series.

But you mentioned it doesn't fit well. is that just you being new to biking, or the actual bike? Try to adjust properly. If that bike is the wrong size, there is no sense in upgrading.

When you say you would buy an MTB, what riding do you do? Because that bike, or any bike for 500 quid isn't an actual MTB capable for single tracks. Upgrading the fork isn't helpful since that is pricy and you have little travel on such a "hybrid with suspension fork". teh specs say 50mm, so there is not much to begin with. If you installed an actual MTB fork it will have much more travel and change the geometry of the bike. I also assume it has straight steerer and most better forks have tapered steerer.

Last edited by HerrKaLeun; 05-11-19 at 06:32 AM.
Old 05-11-19, 09:19 AM
yates111

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How about converting it to a cyclocross bike? With drop bars and hydraulic brakes.
Old 05-11-19, 09:34 AM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
How about converting it to a cyclocross bike? With drop bars and hydraulic brakes.

It would be cheaper to buy a new bike.

Then you can get one that fits correctly.
Old 05-11-19, 09:53 AM
yates111

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My hybrid fits me atm if that is what you mean?
Old 05-11-19, 10:00 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
N + 1

Take that bike in with you bike shopping, so they can match the fit of the 2 bikes?

you want a Cyclocross or Gravel racing drop bar bike now?

As to your Hybrid, you can always add accessories to your bike,
to make it into something utilitarian , like for grocery Shopping..

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-11-19 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-11-19, 10:39 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7650 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Cannondale Quick CX 3 2013 - Specifications | Reviews | Shops

Not really worth upgrading.

Figure out what is up with the Quick---why doesn't it fit? Wrong frame size or bad adjustments? In what way were you uncomfortable? There are a lot of cheap changes and adjustments you could make if the frame fits.

Also ... pinch-flats are either under-inflated tires or bad riding. If you don't have enough air in the tires (and the more you weigh, the more air you need in the tires, regardless of what the low limit on the sidewall might say.) Also, if you are slamming sharp edges like curbs, you could pinch-flat---or if you stay planted in the saddle and slam any obstacle, if your tires need air. Bigger tires ... still need the right amount of air.

Also ... What type of paths and trails---groomed paced earth, dirt and stone, roots and rocks? If you are getting pinch flats on smooth dirt trails the fault is almost certainly tire pressure--unless you deliberately run over big rocks or something. Otherwise, the bike you have should be fine for smooth trails and any paved surface---but not for MTB trails.

Let me clarify---you Could run serious single-track, but you would need to go Very slowly.

You could change the fork, but a good fork will set you back a few hundred pounds, so likely that isn't happening.

As for hydro brakes ... can you do all the work, taking off the old brakes, installing the new, and bleeding the system, all by yourself? Do you have the tools? Otherwise there are shop fees and such to consider, which would also not by inexpensive.

Why did you buy the bike? How did you plan to ride it? Do you plan to ride mostly off-road? Do you want to ride serious MTB trails, or do you want a bike-path commuter?

If you really need a new fork, hydro discs, and wider tires, you would be Much better off buying a complete bike---the prices on parts are a Lot lower when a manufacturer buys thousands, than when you buy singles. Upgrading a questionable frame will cost you a lot more than you think, and the end result will likely be a lot less than you want.

If you want to ride MTB trails, save up and buy a real mountain bike---or regret forever wasting your money. There are deals on used mountain bike, if you know what to look for and are patient. And if you want to ride a mountain bike, you aren't going to get there riding a bike which sort of looks like a mountain bike.

The Quick is a fine commuter and would probably hold up okay on smooth double-track jeep trails .... but that's not what it is made for. And no reasonable amount of money is going to make it into a mountain bike.

If, however, you really want a dirt-trail commuter, the Quick could probably be adjusted to fit and do the job admirably.
Old 05-11-19, 12:03 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Hi

As the title suggests I’m undecided on wether to upgrade my current hybrid, it is a cannondale quick cx3 2013 ( I would link to it but I can’t). Anyway I went out on some trails and footpaths nearby and I got a pinch flat as well as being uncomfortable on it. I think this would be solved if I could get a thicker mtb tyre on but this may only be achievable if I get smaller wheels to fit it in the hybrid frame. If I could do this eventually I would also upgrade to hydraulic disc brakes and a new fork too.
So would it be better to upgrade my hybrid that I don’t use or get a mountain bike though this would probably be second hand on my budget as u can’t afford a decent new mountain bike (£500+).
Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
There are hybrids that will work well on trails; look for one with clearance for wider tires. If it were me, I'd sell the bike that doesn't do what I want it to, and buy one that does. In fact, I sort of did. Found a nice '90s rigid steel mountain bike and had it built up as a cushy road/ride-all-day bike for $500+, still cheaper than a new bike and rides like a dream. In fact, old mountain bikes have the same geometry as today's grave/adventure bikes; it'd be fun to take one of those and build it into a gravel/adventure bike, which would mostly be putting less knobby tires on it. Something to think about.
Old 05-11-19, 05:06 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
I think this would be solved if I could get a thicker mtb tyre on but this may only be achievable if I get smaller wheels to fit it in the hybrid frame.
There are a couple of comments about the bike fitting him ... I don't think that's what he was saying, I think he meant assuming these are 700 wheels if he went to 650 there maybe more clearance to get wider tyres on the bike.
Old 05-12-19, 02:44 PM
yates111

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Witterings
There are a couple of comments about the bike fitting him ... I don't think that's what he was saying, I think he meant assuming these are 700 wheels if he went to 650 there maybe more clearance to get wider tyres on the bike.

Yes, you are right.
Ended up making a nice deal for a GT Avalanche Expert 2017, the difference between this and my hybrid is uncanny! Very glad I ended up with a bike that could get me started off-roading comfortably.

Thanks guys👍
Likes For yates111: