Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike computers

Old 07-15-19, 07:51 PM
WWS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike computers

Anyone know of a brand of bike computer that when changing the battery the wheel size code and accumulated mileage will not be lost?

Last edited by WWS; 07-15-19 at 07:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-15-19, 09:20 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 244 Posts
My Sigma wired computers are very good. They have had a memory for 8 or 10 years I think.
I've been using 1 on each wheel of my tour bike. LOL BC1412 and 1612.
Old 07-16-19, 05:48 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by WWS
Anyone know of a brand of bike computer that when changing the battery the wheel size code and accumulated mileage will not be lost?
Change batteries on a schedule, not just when they fail.

Keep a record of the wheel diameter entry, write it in the margin of the owner's installation manual.

Just prior to removing the current battery, scroll through and record the odometer readings of interest.

Many (most?) bike computers allow you to enter an initial value for odometer. Transfer your old numbers there. Check your owner's manual.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 07-16-19, 06:48 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I use Cateye bike computers and I keep a log of Odometer settings on a spreadsheet. So when the battery craps out on either the computer or the sensor on the fork... I usually have accurate records.
Old 07-20-19, 07:12 PM
WWS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Settled on the Cateye Padrone CC-PA100W...programmable odometer.
Works well.
Old 07-20-19, 07:43 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Although most computers will let you enter a starting odometer at a certain point, why bother? Tracking your overall history is what something like Strava is good at.

In terms of what a simple computer does do well - showing current speed and current ride distance - it took some time to get the wheel size dialed in to a number that I think is fairly accurate, but under estimates just enough of a hair that I have no doubt that when it says I rode X miles, I really did (unlike Strava, which seems to often be a few percent high).

If there's any doubt about retaining the wheel size number, take a picture of the setup screen with your phone and email it to yourself with that as the title.

Sometimes on longer rides I've used the odometer as the actual ride meter, and reset the current ride meter to track the current part so that my reading matches up with mile posts. Other times, especially where the numbers are round anyway, I just do the mental math, it's not a bad thing to occupy the mind while pedaling along.

But if you do want cumulative odometer, just take a picture of it every now and then, especially at the end of key rides.
Old 07-20-19, 09:09 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
Not that I know of. That's one of the reasons I bought a Garmin Fenix 5 watch. It is the only bike computer I need and it syncs with Strava. Expensive? Yes, maybe but how much is a really good bike computer. You can get used or refurbished Fenix 3 HR's for about the same price as a top-end bike computer.

The separate cadence and speed sensors are not required but provide more accurate on-the-fly readings. I've been using the Fenix for about three years now and it is fantastic. Check them out.
Old 07-23-19, 03:34 PM
DenBoy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My little cheapy TEMPO from Nashbar retains the odometer value when changing the battery (as well as the wheel diameter).
Old 07-24-19, 10:12 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,204 Posts
IIRC most of the Sigma computers would hold odometer and wheel size. They didn't do too well in rain, so I went to Cateye.

Cateye seems to give you a choice; either their computers retain memory while you change the battery but you can't adjust the odometer (Astrale), or you can adjust the odometer and it drops memory when you change the battery (Strada). For the life of me, I can't figure out why one model can't do both. On the positive side, they've all come through downpours and still work.
Old 07-24-19, 11:32 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
can't help with that specific question. I use cheap, but easy to use, computers. the wheel factor is lost every time I reset them for each ride. since I use 2 or more bikes with 3 dif sets of tires depending on season, maybe this strategy will help you. I write down the wheel factors where I won't lose them. basically a giant zip lock freezer bag w/ computers, batteries & manuals. I let it breath (from time to time) tho cuz I think batteries need to breath. I keep that bag with my bike stuff. at 1st I was annoyed that I had to reset the wheel factor after each ride but I got used to it. so changing a battery is no worse, for me
Old 07-24-19, 11:40 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,467 Times in 7,308 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Change batteries on a schedule, not just when they fail.
IKR. My computer battery died after the first day of last month's two-week tour. By the time I got somewhere that was "civilized" enough to have a battery source there were only three days left in the trip, so I didn't bother.
Old 07-26-19, 11:13 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The only bike comp I've used seriously , is the lezyne micro color it's a tiny gps unit with programmable profiles and recharable batchery