Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Finding a frame that fits

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-19, 12:48 PM
erbfarm

Bikes: 1986 Bridgestone 450

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Hi Everyone

I'm heading out for a short tour on my Surly Straggler. trouble is, I'm not looking forward to it b/c I can't get this bike to fit me no matter what. I've tried raising the handlebars and other things but the truth is, the frame is too small for my legs and the top tube is too long for my arms! I've got my eye on the VO Campeur frame for it's geometry and canti bosses but I don't want to ride 700c. I much prefer 650B and would consider 26" but the Campeur only comes in 26" in the two smallest sizes (too small for me). I also like their Polyvalent frame (tho I don't want disc if possible) but I'd like a longer chainstay for comfort. Most of the touring I do these days is on backroads, off road paths, and some gravel. Roads are generally way too busy for my taste so it will mostly be rail trail options and gravel-ish touring most of the time for me. With that in mind, I do like the wider fork clearances of modern frames and all of the mounting points, but not much else. I like canti bosses, a long chainstay, and the square geometry of older bikes. Are their any modern frame makers, besides VO, that are using threaded headsets, canti bosses, and longer chainstays with wider forks to accommodate wider tires? I'd probably need clearance for 38mm to 40mm tops but would ride mostly 35mm.

Thanks!
Old 08-01-19, 04:28 PM
antokelly

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
check out thorn nomad bike.
Old 08-02-19, 02:47 AM
gequiroga

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Women's bike have shorter top tubes for the same seat tube length. Maybe it can help you
Old 08-04-19, 03:29 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,987 Times in 2,662 Posts
Have you tried seeing a bike fitter? Guessing is great especially when you guess right but clearly you have been guessing wrong and that isn't great. Fitting uses science and technology and people who have knowledge of bike fitting so they can get you the right bike or help you make that decision better.

As far as a frame, disc brakes are great because you can sometimes run different tire sizes and have better braking. Also get a frame that can accommodate really wide tires. I got a frame designed for narrower tires and am now regretting that as I have found wider tires to be way way better. Also don't get hung up on threaded stuff it is vintage for a reason. Once you get a fit you will know your stem length and ideal height for your abilities and if needed be you can not cut down the fork all the way and have space for moving the stem up. It was not fun yesterday riding into work and noticing once I got there and put my bike in the stand that my threaded headset was loose. Never had the issue with threadless stuff and I have way more handlebar and stem options. I do love vintage bikes don't get me wrong but there is some technology that has improved things for the better.