Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

ISO Vintage Soviet Road Bike (58-60 cm)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-19, 11:28 AM
jonroach97

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys, I'm looking for a vintage 70s or 80s Soviet road bike, maybe a Karakhov XB3 or something similar. It can be fully built, just the frame or the frame and fork. Hopefully a 58-60cm frame. I can't find one anywhere on Ebay or on facebook. If you have anything please let me know! I'm in North Carolina but I'm happy to pay for shipping.
Old 08-16-19, 11:56 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
When you find one, please post some detailed pictures.
Old 08-16-19, 12:35 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,600 Times in 1,764 Posts
Soviet, eh? Cool plan! Here in western Europe a Czechoslovakian Favorit turns up every now then, but that's about it, wrt bikes from behind the former Iron Curtain.

However, the SU professionals preferred Dutch bikes. From the vaults of RIH Sport in Amsterdam:

Old 08-16-19, 12:38 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
I've visited the XB3 factory in Kharkov a few times some years ago working on our charity bicycle project in Ukraine. The only racing frames I've ever seen from them are all the same size. I have one in my shop in Michigan to show my frame building class students. It has a center to top seat tube length of 22". A couple of amateur Ukrainian frame builders have visited our frame shop near Kiev at my invitation. One of them turned a XB3 into a fixed gear bike. He said racing frames from the Kharkov factory have become popular in Ukraine for that purpose and their value as a result has risen. The other guy was from Kharkov (which is a big industrial city near the Russian border for those not into Ukrainian geography). He thought the factory had closed but I haven't been able to verify that.

I wasn't able to buy a racing XB3 in Ukraine but I did have a german friend that got one for me from a Russian emigree to Germany. Very occasionally someone mentions one on the bicycle forums but I would be surprised if you could get even a standard size one here in the States
Old 08-16-19, 02:50 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 717 Posts
Its best of you post your ISO here.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-part-5-a.html
Old 08-16-19, 02:50 PM
jonroach97

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
I've visited the XB3 factory in Kharkov a few times some years ago working on our charity bicycle project in Ukraine. The only racing frames I've ever seen from them are all the same size. I have one in my shop in Michigan to show my frame building class students. It has a center to top seat tube length of 22". A couple of amateur Ukrainian frame builders have visited our frame shop near Kiev at my invitation. One of them turned a XB3 into a fixed gear bike. He said racing frames from the Kharkov factory have become popular in Ukraine for that purpose and their value as a result has risen. The other guy was from Kharkov (which is a big industrial city near the Russian border for those not into Ukrainian geography). He thought the factory had closed but I haven't been able to verify that.

I wasn't able to buy a racing XB3 in Ukraine but I did have a german friend that got one for me from a Russian emigree to Germany. Very occasionally someone mentions one on the bicycle forums but I would be surprised if you could get even a standard size one here in the States
Any chance you would be willing to part with yours? I totally understand if not
Old 08-16-19, 03:48 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Soviets were behind Biopace.
Old 08-16-19, 04:47 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Having wandered around large portions of Moscow and St. Petersburg, I can confirm that almost every Soviet bicycle frame I've seen equipped with drop bars and derailleurs was right around the 22" frame size. Most of them have been painted time and again in those inhospitable climes and are frequently used as decorations outside of cafes and shops, and I don't think I've ever seen the original decals on one yet!
Old 08-16-19, 04:57 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Does anyone else remember those yellow Soviet tubular tires that you could buy in the US in 80s? They were pretty cool. Cheap and cheerful, and they gave hope that the cold war might end. The ride wasn't bad for a basic cotton training tire. I liked them better than Woblers. They seemed really exotic at the time. I'm not sure why they were yellow.