Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How many ride a heavier bike to build endurance?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How many ride a heavier bike to build endurance?

Old 08-29-19, 11:19 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Again: If you're keeping up with the group on a heavier bike, you're expending more watts (and getting a better work out) than the riders on lighter bikes.
Or you could take more turns on the front.
Or you could ride with a faster group.
Old 08-30-19, 12:41 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Uh, right. If I cared, I'd go back and edit my post to end with the standard YMMV caveat. But I don't.
He was trying to make a funny. I LOL'd.
Old 08-30-19, 06:19 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
Or you could take more turns on the front.
Or you could ride with a faster group.
Right, but that's not what this thread is about. Riding a heavier bike the same distance or speed as a lighter one will take more effort... And therefore build more strength/endurance. I get it that it's not the approved way to increase strength, but it will increase it nonetheless.
Old 08-30-19, 12:52 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 1,936 Times in 1,382 Posts
I captain a mixed tandem. The all-up weight is about 315 lbs. Works great for increasing both strength and endurance. Best thing evah. The problem with this 30 lb. bike business is that it's too little extra weight to really make a difference. A real reason would be if the heavier bike were vastly more comfortable or had some other advantage that would make it more fun to ride. Doubtful. You'll get more training out of a bike which encourages hard efforts, whatever the weight. Our tandem definitely encourages hard efforts, especially on group rides with singles.

I think the biggest difference that a much heavier bike makes is during acceleration. Takes a lot of muscle to accelerate a 300 lb. bike. It's noticeable . . .

Last edited by Carbonfiberboy; 08-30-19 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-30-19, 02:41 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
I ride heavier so I can get home in case of flat or mechanical problem - tools, spare tube, phone in a handlebar bag, rear rack, lock, computer (well, I can get home without that), pump. Maybe a sandwich. Keys, water, glasses and sunglasses so I can see clearly, mirror.... My Reynolds 531 bike with aluminum parts weighs in at 31+ lbs as I ride it. I expect the bike itself is 25 lbs or less.

I'm not worried. Instead of taking weight off the bike, I've taken it off myself. I've been riding since 2013. If I had taken the weight off the bike instead of myself, the bike would weigh -5 lbs. I've gone back to my weight in 1999, I think. Now, if I could figure a way to get years off my body....
Likes For philbob57:
Old 08-30-19, 04:46 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Right, but that's not what this thread is about. Riding a heavier bike the same distance or speed as a lighter one will take more effort... And therefore build more strength/endurance. I get it that it's not the approved way to increase strength, but it will increase it nonetheless.
That's the assumption the OP is making, but without data showing that he is in fact travelling the same speeds and distances as before at higher wattages, it will always be suspect. If he had a group to keep up with, that would be one thing...

OP, you know that you can just put regular pedals on a road bike and ride it in regular clothes, right?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 08-30-19 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-24-20, 09:35 AM
jordanair45
Banned.

Bikes: 16' SS Hi-Mod, 15' CAAD12

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I just gain wait
Old 06-24-20, 09:45 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11952 Post(s)
Liked 6,599 Times in 3,465 Posts
Agreed. It all depends on what you want, there are both apples and oranges involved here.

I don't think there is any question that regularly pushing extra weight will make you a stronger rider. That may or may not translate to the gains roadies appreciate most, like greater distance, endurance and speed. In fact I would wager that the best ways to work on distance and endurance is to actually work out with lighter bikes, practicing distance and endurance. However if its speed you value most then I believe for most people a heavier bike will produce better results.
Old 06-24-20, 10:04 AM
Wooderson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
..I would wager that the best ways to work on distance and endurance is to actually work out with lighter bikes, practicing distance and endurance.
I would think the "practicing" part of your theory is the most important, and the weight of the bike really doesn't matter, within reason.

On to the original question: I just bought a new road bike, my old one was fairly nice, and weighed 18lbs 0oz. My new road bike weighs 20lbs 4oz. I've ridden it for three weeks on all of my regular routes, and I can definitely feel the additional weight on the climbs. It's not in my head, it's noticeable and it's material. But I am getting used to it. It's becoming my new 'normal'. And I do think riding this heavier bike will make me a little stronger since I do ride with groups, and have to climb at the same rate as before with a heavier bike. Those 'intervals' are about 10% more intense than they were last month.
I didn't buy this bike because it was heavier to get more training benefit, but I think that's the outcome. I also plan to reduce the weight of this bike by ~1.5lbs in the coming year by replacing the boat anchor stock wheelset and maybe the crankset.
Old 06-24-20, 10:10 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Agreed. It all depends on what you want, there are both apples and oranges involved here.

I don't think there is any question that regularly pushing extra weight will make you a stronger rider. That may or may not translate to the gains roadies appreciate most, like greater distance, endurance and speed. In fact I would wager that the best ways to work on distance and endurance is to actually work out with lighter bikes, practicing distance and endurance. However if its speed you value most then I believe for most people a heavier bike will produce better results.
Dont you lose mod privileges if you reply to a zombie thread?

Asking for a friend...
Old 06-24-20, 10:17 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
If you have a set amount of time to ride, and your ability to ride at a certain speed is hampered by safety conditions, riding a heavier bike with more durable tires and no aero bits will let you hit that safe speed with more watts and get a bigger workout in your timeframe. That’s been my approach in the mornings.
Old 06-24-20, 10:25 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Every bike I ride is a heavy bike...........because I'm riding it.
Likes For seypat:
Old 06-24-20, 02:28 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11952 Post(s)
Liked 6,599 Times in 3,465 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
Dont you lose mod privileges if you reply to a zombie thread?

Asking for a friend...
If only it were that easy. Please, tell the world of my struggle.

Oh wait, i see some men getting out of a black van. Gotta go.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 06-26-20, 06:44 AM
FaithTerry
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have u ever tested a stenabolic? This is a product that u should use with caution.
Old 06-26-20, 11:23 AM
littleArnold

Bikes: Trek, Schwinn, Huffy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I ride a trek hybrid fx2 aluminum bike and a schwinn steel mountain bike. The mountain bike is much slower and wears me out a lot more than a hybrid on paths that have a lot of hills. My legs will be worn out more after a day on the mountain bike. I also will feel more winded on the mountain bike. I can go a lot faster on my hybrid putting less effort into the ride and will be less winded, I dont poop out so easily, my legs dont get as sore, and climbing hills is way easier on my hybrid.

I dont ride the heavier mnt bike to build endurance, just ride it more on days it rained so I save wear and tear on my hybrid.

Last edited by littleArnold; 06-26-20 at 11:32 AM.