Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is my bike too small?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is my bike too small?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-19, 01:42 AM
Tulok

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
I like my mountain bikes sized up a size then I get a really short stem and wider bars. It feels great and comfortable. Like I’m “in” the bike.

For road, I like the frame a little smaller, compensating with the seat and bar height etc. I feel that if I’m above the bars, my core will support my arms better and my hands won’t hurt.

If I’m crusining around on a cruiser I like them big so I can have the seat set lower, large wide bars and very upright feels nice for 5 miles at a time!
Likes For Tulok:
Old 08-31-19, 07:05 AM
starchase

Bikes: 1992 Giant Farrago; 2011 KHS, TC-150

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vuduthmb
I was kind of going by stand over height and looking to see if my leg was fully extended on the pedals.
The user manual that came with my bike said that to check seat height sitting in the saddle with your heel on a peddle the leg should be straight. For sure when peddling though there should be a slight bend in the knee, as the OP confirmed.

John
Old 08-31-19, 12:23 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by sumgy
Standover would have to be the most overthought measurement in bikefit IMO.
Standover is only important if you spend a lot of time standing over your bikes top tube, and not really at any other time.
Every time I hit a red light. Or a busy stop sign. Or an idiot who needs the entire lane to parallel park his oversized Ford testicle.

I've since discovered the joys of 26" wheels and never want to go back.
Likes For Korina:
Old 08-31-19, 12:52 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
We tend to go on a bit here on BF about getting the right fit, but this is a style of bike where if you missed by one size too small it shouldn’t be a big problem. Play with the stem height and angle a bit.
Old 08-31-19, 02:05 PM
sumgy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Every time I hit a red light. Or a busy stop sign. Or an idiot who needs the entire lane to parallel park his oversized Ford testicle.

Interesting.
I never unclip with both feet and standover my top tube in any of those situations.
Old 08-31-19, 04:07 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Interesting.
I never unclip with both feet and standover my top tube in any of those situations.
Never used clips; platforms all the way!
Likes For Korina:
Old 09-01-19, 08:07 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina

I'm like you on that, Korina. I prefer to be able to slide off the saddle forward and get both feet on the ground after a panic stop or quick stop.

Most times I can stay on the saddle and lean the bike so I can dab a foot on the ground. But every once in a while, I'll do that on an off camber street with the wrong foot and now I'm teetering on the edge of falling over. So, it's best for me to simply be ready to slide off the saddle forward.

Plus, I prefer mountain bike/BMX style pedals. Plenty of grip on rubber sole shoes and super easy to "dismount" from.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 09-01-19, 09:17 AM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
To me, standover height is the first spec I look at. Its important. Standover height is the one spec that can't be changed. Saddle adjustment and reach are fully adjustable.
Likes For BirdsBikeBinocs:
Old 09-01-19, 03:08 PM
sumgy

Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs
To me, standover height is the first spec I look at. Its important. Standover height is the one spec that can't be changed. Saddle adjustment and reach are fully adjustable.
Why?
Are you buying the bike to standover or are you buying it to ride.
Sorry, but standover is the most overthought measurement in bike fit.
Nobody should be buying a bicycle on the basis of whether they can stand with 2 feet flat on the ground on a perfectly flat surface (which is basically how standover is measured).
And while saddle adjustment and stem length can be adjusted on your personal body geometry, reach is a fixed measurement based on teh frame geometry.
Old 09-01-19, 03:38 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
Going from a medium to large frame on the Cypress adds just .8" to the stack and .4" to the reach. you can adjust the seat and stem more then that.

A tall stack and short reach are part of what makes the Giant Cypress a comfort bike. My Sedona has an even taller stack and shorter reach then the Cypress. I tried lowering the handle bars and sliding the seat back to give it a more aggressive riding position. It was very uncomfortable that way. I put it back to where it was and it is comfortable again.

It may be that these bikes are best set up the way the manufacturer intended. I love my Sedona as a comfort bike. If I wanted more traditional fit and seating position I would have bought one of their hybrids like the Roam or Escape. They are quicker too.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 09-01-19 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-01-19, 07:49 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Why?
Are you buying the bike to standover or are you buying it to ride.
Sorry, but standover is the most overthought measurement in bike fit.
Nobody should be buying a bicycle on the basis of whether they can stand with 2 feet flat on the ground on a perfectly flat surface (which is basically how standover is measured).
And while saddle adjustment and stem length can be adjusted on your personal body geometry, reach is a fixed measurement based on teh frame geometry.
No. Reach is adjustable. Degree in the stem makes it so. Saddle to and fro. Saddle tilt can affect the reach.

Look, each time I ride a bike I have to stand over it twice, at least. So I actually stand over it more than I ride it. Therefore, I make sure my go nads have some space to breathe and when I come off the bike in a hurry I know I'm free and clear. If I standover and I have an inch or an inch and half, that bike will fit me because everything after the standover test is fully adjustable. Standover. My #1 spec.

When you buy a bike that's too big for you, you'll know why it is. Standover height.
Old 09-01-19, 08:03 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by CSG
I just had a tune up of my Novara Ponderosa MTB at the local LBS. I'd bought it new at REI in Boise back in 2002. I'm 6' with about a 32" inseam. Now, in those days, on a hardtail MTB, 3" to 4" above the top tube was where you wanted your *girls* on bikes of this style. I rode it with flat bars for some time but over the years and riding it more on pavement and gravel/dirt, not trails, I changed the geometry some by adding a riser stem and riser bars. I also added a suspension seat post.

So when the shop calls me to tell me the bike is ready, the guy who calls (who I had yet to meet) told me the bike was probably too small for me. I said, my other bike was a Brompton and I liked my Ponderosa just fine.

I understand that cycling has changed in builds, styles, frame geometries, etc. but if a bike worked for a person then, does it not work the same today? Not to say I couldn't fit on a larger bike but I like the nimbleness of this one. After picking it up, I did about 12 miles on the local rim trail (and 3 on the Brompton earlier). I was not displeased with its size. This photo was from last week:

Yeah, it is probably too small for you, mine is too and I do not care (I am 5'10" AND 86cm cycling inseam):

Old 09-01-19, 08:10 PM
sumgy

Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs
No. Reach is adjustable. Degree in the stem makes it so. Saddle to and fro. Saddle tilt can affect the reach.

Look, each time I ride a bike I have to stand over it twice, at least. So I actually stand over it more than I ride it. Therefore, I make sure my go nads have some space to breathe and when I come off the bike in a hurry I know I'm free and clear. If I standover and I have an inch or an inch and half, that bike will fit me because everything after the standover test is fully adjustable. Standover. My #1 spec.

When you buy a bike that's too big for you, you'll know why it is. Standover height.
You should never adjust saddle fore aft to get your position right in relation to bars.
Actual reach is a frame measurement from a line up from your BB to your top tube out to your headtube, but I understand what you are meaning.
I will never buy a bike that is too big for me.
My road bikes will always have a 58cm ETT, because that is the most important measurement for me, whether it has a 60cm seat tube (84cm standover) like my Concorde, or whether it has a 54cm seat tube (80cm standover).

Last edited by sumgy; 09-01-19 at 08:16 PM.
Likes For sumgy:
Old 09-01-19, 08:12 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by vuduthmb
I just bought a Medium Giant Cypress comfort bike. 18" frame. I am 6 feet tall, a little lanky, a little long in the arms and legs. I can find some Giant Cypress size/height charts that say I am within acceptable parameters, and some that don't. Not sure what to believe. The bike feels pretty good. A medium frame felt big to me when I first got on it, but I was used to my Electra Cruiser. I was kind of going by stand over height and looking to see if my leg was fully extended on the pedals. My seat stem is only out 4 0r 5 inches. My handlebars are out to the hash mark on the stem.
I rode a friend's Large Giant Escape today, and surprisingly, it also felt pretty good.
This is not a high end bike, so I'm thinking I might get some meaningful input with the info I've given.
Thank you.
Dude, seriously, the amount of information you have provided does not even allow an educated guess. Do not fixate on the manufacturers stated size, they measure things differently from one to another. Learn to measure your frames. Of my bicycles, I have a bunch, I have a 54, a 55, several 56, a couple or more of 57 and a 58. All frame sizes per the manufacturer, all have a 56cm +/- top tube length C/C. And they all fit me perfect. If you want to fixate, fixate on the (effective) top tube length, if that is in the range, everything else generally can be made right.

If we are guessing, given your stated height and my belief you are not a competitive cyclist since you do not know how to size a bike, you probably are a typical "large" frame size or a 58cm.

Last edited by Loose Chain; 09-01-19 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-01-19, 08:32 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Why is it dealers and sales are putting people on bikes too small? Seems like a trend to ride the smallest bike possible.
Some will sell whatever they have in stock to the unsuspecting consumer.
Old 09-02-19, 09:01 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by 02Giant
Some will sell whatever they have in stock to the unsuspecting consumer.
Happens in many industries. Doesn't matter if that's what works best for the customer or not. Let the service department sort it out after the sale. Gotta move that inventory!!!
Old 09-02-19, 01:38 PM
luistim

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Safe.

Do it analyze by yourself on the behalf of your all experiences. If you are comfortable, It's absolutely safe for all the time.
Old 09-05-19, 09:01 AM
vuduthmb

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You know, I am also selling this bike. There are just a few things I don't like about it. I will shed myself of it.