Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Reminder: Always Look On a Green Light

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-19, 07:25 PM
SactoDoug
eMail Sold to Spammers

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts

I am glad that I developed the habit that as soon as the light turns green, I look at the cross traffic before I go. Had I just gone without looking, I might not have made it home.

Old 08-30-19, 07:35 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
Thanks for the reminder!
Old 08-30-19, 08:43 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Just like Atlanta....
Old 08-31-19, 06:59 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Running reds is so common here that I always wait a few seconds before proceeding, whether on a bike or in a car.
Old 08-31-19, 07:04 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Seriously ?? You started a whole new thread, just to "remind" cyclists to always be on the lookout for vehicle traffic? What a lifesaver.
Old 08-31-19, 03:36 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by SactoDoug
I am glad that I developed the habit that as soon as the light turns green, I look at the cross traffic before I go. Had I just gone without looking, I might not have made it home.

https://youtu.be/iVSlLNp7GyE
Every single day in New Orleans. I really notice it when driving a car (since I don't stop for many red lights on a bike). Up to 5 seconds we can get 1-3 cars go across after the light goes green. Now that everyone is on the phone at a red light anyway and in no hurry to blast off at a green light the issue has taken care of itself. The few of us wanting to GET somewhere still have to assume more cars are coming across well after the green.

So yeah. Agreed. Good reminder.
Old 08-31-19, 07:15 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Running reds is so common here that I always wait a few seconds before proceeding, whether on a bike or in a car.
Old 08-31-19, 07:33 PM
Slowridr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
After the first time almost getting smacked by a car running a red I always look all ways on green
Old 08-31-19, 08:42 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
Seriously ?? You started a whole new thread, just to "remind" cyclists to always be on the lookout for vehicle traffic? What a lifesaver.
r/funatparties
Old 09-01-19, 07:45 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Red light runners? I've got a helmet-cam full of 'em myself! It's too bad you can't easily "drop a dime" on them online. Although, I heard on a podcast that in NYC they have a crowdsourced database on one of the social media platforms.

As far as red light runners being an obvious caveat...maybe they're not so obvious. We all ride in different situations and locations, and are all at different "skill" levels. There is always a new crop of new riders who haven't been "seasoned" yet. Traffic density is growing in many cities (and falling in others).

All of us can get lulled into complacency and a sense of false security from time to time. And distractions from our immediate surroundings abound as well as things on our minds and on our phones.

A Youtube reminder is much preferable to the risks or results of a real red light runner.

And as I have stated many times before, a post like this should be a catalyst to reflect on and examine your own riding habits and strategies for keeping safe.

Thanks for posting @SactoDoug
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 09-01-19, 10:02 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
They all know how to properly run red lights and stop signs and they expect the rest of us niceholes to let them do it.
Old 09-01-19, 10:29 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Nice catch and nice video clip
Old 09-01-19, 10:52 AM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Red light runners? I've got a helmet-cam full of 'em myself! It's too bad you can't easily "drop a dime" on them online. Although, I heard on a podcast that in NYC they have a crowdsourced database on one of the social media platforms.
Was it this?
https://twitter.com/HowsMyDrivingNY

I also like www.rate-driver.com .
Old 09-01-19, 10:59 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
"Look left ... then right ... then left again." Was popular as a PSA back in the 1970s regarding surviving day-to-day driving on the roads. Applies today even moreso than it did back then, IMO.

If I've got a clear view of the entire intersection, I always strive to know whether anyone else is at the other "corners" ... waiting, or approaching.

If I don't have a clear view, whether due to another vehicle or other reason, I try to not be the first into the intersection. (Safer that way.)

Either way, with a clear view or not, I always wait a second or two, given the L/R/La glance, then go.

I figure the folks who introduced me to "defensive" driving tactics are long since sitting on their porch chairs in the big ranch in the sky, smiling as all of their former students attempt to daily put into practice all those little tricks and techniques they suggested. Time and again, I've found they've saved my bacon from bad injuries, or worse.

Lots of red-light runners around my area. Probably see a handful each week; occasionally, daily.
Old 09-01-19, 05:25 PM
anon06

Bikes: Giant Cypress

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Wow, the driver was going fast! Yeah, you're right; it's a good thing you weren't already attempting to cross the intersection at that moment.

Also, got to be aware of drivers making turns down the wrong lane, in the wrong direction. I was waiting at a stop sign to make a right turn, on the far right of the lane (like I usually do, to let drivers behind me know that I'm attempting to turn right, not left), yesterday, when a driver decided to make a left turn and squeeze by me, into the one-way lane (that has a narrow divider, with sign polls, where only one vehicle can fit through it).

They signaled and were going slowly, but it was still strange and confusing; I thought they were just going to make a U-turn in front of me, so I waited for them. I've ridden to that intersection several times, over the years, and hadn't experienced a driver doing that, with me still actually in the lane. I don't know why they still decided to pull in; I would've thought them seeing someone stopped, going the other direction, would've given them a clue that it's not the correct place to turn into.

I don't know if they still would've decided to hit me, if I'd been in the middle of the lane, instead.

Last edited by anon06; 09-01-19 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09-01-19, 07:28 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Good message SD. Just because a light is green doesn't mean it's safe to enter the intersection.

Having said that, always waiting a few seconds after getting a green is unnecessary. I watch traffic the entire time I'm waiting at or approaching an intersection. Once it's apparent that all cross traffic is stopped, or safely on their way to stopping, I'm gone.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 09-01-19, 08:00 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
You can add walking to that as well. Better lights will hold the red in both directions, but there's still a lot of them that still do not.
Old 09-02-19, 07:45 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by JW Fas
I think so.
Old 09-03-19, 03:31 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
There's also the close call database: https://closecalldatabase.com/

I think you need to be able to see a license plate, but not necessarily if the vehicle can be identified. I've only submitted a couple of video clips to them. Most will never amount to anything, but word's starting to get out, and they have helped lead to some increased fines/jail time for people who claimed they were in an accident, but it turns out they had a habit of buzzing cyclists.

As an aside, that's a nice looking bent. What model is it?
Old 09-03-19, 03:55 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
There are the laws of man and the laws of physics; a cyclist would be well advised to consider both at all times.
Old 09-03-19, 04:09 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Walnut and Fair Oaks?
Old 09-04-19, 07:23 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by SactoDoug

https://youtu.be/iVSlLNp7GyE
Originally Posted by flangehead
Thanks for the reminder!
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Good message SD. Just because a light is green doesn't mean it's safe to enter the intersection.

Having said that, always waiting a few seconds after getting a green is unnecessary. I watch traffic the entire time I'm waiting at or approaching an intersection. Once it's apparent that all cross traffic is stopped, or safely on their way to stopping, I'm gone.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
So often on these threads about calamities or near misses, I post about my mindset that I believe gives me that extra edge. .
Originally Posted by FBinNY
In all fairness, I don't think there's anyone who's been riding for a long time, who hasn't at some time (or many times) ridden in that zone where the only thing separating us from disaster is favorable alignment of the stars. (Note the "us" rather than "him")

We all take chances and make mistakes, but fortunately life is"organized" with plenty of forgiveness. In my experience the difference between disaster and "whew, that was close" is millimeters and microseconds, and not anything we can take credit for.
I try to keep safe with certain aphorisms in my head that come to mind to alert me when I encounter a situation where unseen dangers may lurk, such as “Like a weapon, assume every stopped car is loaded, with an occupant ready to exit from either side.” or“Don’t ride over an area (such as puddles or leaves) when you can’t see the road surface"

Over the past few months I have come to realize that my safety aphorisms (link), collected over the years by personal or vicarious experience, are my way of actively aligning the stars in my favor, to anticipate those unseen and otherwise unanticipated dangers.

FWIW, for my own information at least, my other aphorisms beside those above [see the link: Total of nine (9)]
Apropos of this thread my aphorism is:

a…

b…

d You don’t have the right-of-way until the other yields it to you (learned from my teacher in driver’s ed)

e…

i…

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-04-19 at 10:30 AM. Reason: added quote by flangehead
Old 09-04-19, 09:35 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
There's also the close call database: https://closecalldatabase.com/

I think you need to be able to see a license plate, but not necessarily if the vehicle can be identified. I've only submitted a couple of video clips to them. Most will never amount to anything, but word's starting to get out, and they have helped lead to some increased fines/jail time for people who claimed they were in an accident, but it turns out they had a habit of buzzing cyclists.
Any real world reference to actual cases where the close call database helped lead to some increased fines/jail time for people who claimed they were in an accident, but it turns out they had a habit of buzzing cyclists?
Old 09-04-19, 10:24 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Of course this is unbelievable, at least if you believe nothing.

-mr. bill
Old 09-04-19, 12:13 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Of course this is unbelievable, at least if you believe nothing.

-mr. bill
Not unbelievable; just NOT any real world reference to actual cases where the close call database led to anything related to legal action against anybody. Maybe if you search Google some more you might find something, somewhere to validate a belief in the legal usefulness of a private citizen's database of unverified complaints from strangers about strangers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.