Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's Your Worst "Loss" While Riding?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-23-19, 11:16 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,488 Times in 7,316 Posts

Two years ago my arm warmers fell out of my jersey pocket while I was climbing the west slope of Going to the Sun Road in Glacier National Park. I looked for them on the way down but had no luck. Still had a few days left on that tour, so it kind of sucked not having them. One theory of mine is that they fell out while I was hanging around at the summit and blew away in the strong breeze.

In '11 I lost a front rack bolt and spacer while riding a rough, unpaved, hilly road in Montana. Didn't notice it until the end of the day's ride. I had a spare bolt but not a spare spacer, so the rack sat sort of funny.
Old 09-23-19, 11:28 AM
KenCT

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 (2021) Cannondale Cujo 2 (2018) Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 (2017) Giant Sedona (2006) Cannondale R1000 (2001)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 105 Posts
Late 1990s I had an flip style cell phone fall out of my pocket, open up and get stuck in the front derailleur. Destroyed the phone and bent the cage a little. This was back in the day when you leased the phones. Had to pay the cost of the phone, a couple hundred dollars, and start start a new lease.
Old 09-23-19, 11:45 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by KenCT
Late 1990s I had an flip style cell phone fall out of my pocket, open up and get stuck in the front derailleur. Destroyed the phone and bent the cage a little. This was back in the day when you leased the phones. Had to pay the cost of the phone, a couple hundred dollars, and start start a new lease.
You jogged my memory. While I did not physically lose my phone, I stopped for a quick dip in a reservoir during a long, really hot and humid ride. Totally submerged myself. Totally forgot that my flip phone was in my jersey pocket. After I got home and showered I prepared to walk to happy hour. I thought to myself "Wait. Let me grab my phone in case I want to order take out for dinner and pick it up on the way home." Took me a few minutes to remember where it was. Pulled it out of my jersey pocket and couldn't understand why it was so wet on the inside. Then it hit me. Dead as fried chicken. Fortunately, it was not leased.
Old 09-23-19, 11:59 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
Two come to mind. Shortly after getting home from a tour, I knew I needed to rebuild my pedals (Speedplay Frogs), but I hadn't gotten a round tuit. 25 miles from home, the last of the bearings gave out, and the pedal rotated as it came off the shaft and flew into the ditch. Never found the body, had to make the call of shame. At least it was near the apple orchard, so my wife knew where to find me!

Possibly worse than that was when I'd gone out to Utah a day early, on business, and was riding 200k up to Promontory and back. Stopped for a snack and water on the way back, and in repacking my bar bag I didn't see my wallet fall out. I got very lucky that time. An honest, and persistent, trucker saw the wallet on the ground, called a couple of credit card companies until one of them gave him my number, and then dropped it off at my motel. I'm not sure how I'd have gotten through that trip otherwise. He didn't take any cash, even though I told him to take a couple 20s for his trouble!
Old 09-23-19, 12:15 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
I lost a $20 bill once, went right out my jersey pocket while I was getting a clif bar, I suspect. Later that same year I lost a $120 pocket knife through a hole in my front pocket. Then to cap it off my saddle bag fell off around Christmas and ended up costing around $90 to replace all the contents. 2016 was a tough year, financially.
Likes For Spoonrobot:
Old 09-23-19, 12:38 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Jammed my iPhone, wallet, and keys in to my saddle bag, along with the flat kit and tool pod, and forgot to zip it closed. After I was about three miles from home on a busy MUP, I heard the sound of the keys bouncing out and hitting the rear wheel. I stopped and immediately found the keys and most of my tools. Then I little further back I found my iPhone. But no wallet! I spent a very long time looking, riding the entire route back and forth very slowly, but nothing. I eventually gave up and went home.

As I was on the phone attempting to cancel my credit cards, the doorbell rang and a good Samaritan was standing there with my wallet! I've personally returned many a lost wallet in my day, so it felt good to be on the other end of it for once! At the end of the day, I just lost a pair of plastic tire levers.
Likes For HarborBandS:
Old 09-23-19, 12:40 PM
ckolacny

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lunch
Old 09-23-19, 01:14 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by HarborBandS
After I was about three miles from home on a busy MUP, I heard the sound of the keys bouncing out and hitting the rear wheel.
Heh. I was leading a club ride several years ago when I noticed a participant's car keys coming close to falling out of her partially unzipped saddle bag. I was pissed at her because she had led some people off route when I asked everyone to stop so I could flip the cue sheet. At first I wasn't going to say anything but rather wait until they fell out then pick them up and enjoy some minutes of panic on her part at the end of the ride, but I couldn't bring myself to be that mean.
Old 09-23-19, 01:21 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
A Haro Hardtail MTB. They took the cable lock too, but that wasn't such a loss. I gained some valuable wisdom, but yeah that came at a price. Was a shame.
Old 09-23-19, 01:23 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
I lost a $20 bill once, went right out my jersey pocket while I was getting a clif bar, I suspect.
Someone lost some cash on the Great Allegheny Passage a few weeks ago. I rode right past it without noticing. Later I stopped at a rest area. A group of strangers that I had passed earlier in the morning caught up to me and asked me if I had lost a "wad of cash." I hadn't, and I didn't ask them whether they had just left it there or not.

I did nearly make a very costly mistake when I was touring in Southern Spain nineteen years ago. Stopped on some lonely, very hilly road to change a roll of film. Pulled my fanny pack out of a pannier to get the new roll. Inside the fanny pack was my wallet, passport and all my traveler's checks. Snapped a couple of photos and started riding again. Just as I did I thought I heard a vehicle approaching from behind so I turned back to look. Out of the corner of my left eye I saw the fanny back resting precariously on top of my left, rear pannier. It surely would have fallen on the bumpy descent I was about to start. That would have been a disaster.
Old 09-23-19, 01:53 PM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
I recently lost a suspension pivot bolt from my mountain bike. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't hold a line, and my rear triangle was slapping around noisily.
Old 09-23-19, 01:59 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
I watched my Cateye cycling computer tumble off into a storm drain.
Lost a couple of Podium water bottles as well.

Biggest loss was not riding for 25 years.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 09-23-19, 03:57 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
First, I lost a camera with picture of me on a 3 day bike packing trip in Colorado. I had the camera clipped to my Camelbak and likely left it on a rock next to a toilet or on the side of the road when I stopped for something. I have no pictures of the ride including a very difficult summit of Tin Cup Pass. To add insult to injury (literally), I bruised ribs and biffed my helmet on the ride. To further add insult, the bruised ribs were done while off the bike and while I was lining up for a photograph. I stumbled over a rock and smashed down on another rock. Sleeping on the ground with bruised ribs is an experience I'd rather not repeat.

But, by far, the worst loss was my keys on the first morning of a 1500 mile trip around Lake Erie. I was breaking camp and had all my stuff ready to go after a brutal night in a 40°F sleeping bag on a night when the temperature dropped to 20°F. I left all my stuff on a picnic table and went off use the Necessary. I came back out to see a bird flying away from my camp only to discover that the keys to my truck...which was parked 40 miles away in Toledo...and my house and, most immediately importantly, the key to my lock on my bike were flying off into the skies over Lake Erie.

I called a local hardware store and asked if they could send someone out with a pair of bolt cutters and was told it would cost at least $100 to which I readily agreed but was eventually told, "No, we just can't spare anyone." I called the office for the state park and was told someone was coming out. After about 45 minutes of freezing my butt off...it still hadn't warmed up much...I flagged down a fellow camper in a car who took me to the hardware store where I purchased their damned bolt cutters ($35) and was taken back just in time for the "someone" from the campground to show up. Thirty seconds later, I handed the stupid bolt cutters back as my donation to the park and was on my way towards Detroit. I was committed to the whole ride no matter what.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-23-19, 04:24 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by HarborBandS
Jammed my iPhone, wallet, and keys in to my saddle bag, along with the flat kit and tool pod, and forgot to zip it closed. After I was about three miles from home on a busy MUP, I heard the sound of the keys bouncing out and hitting the rear wheel. I stopped and immediately found the keys and most of my tools. Then I little further back I found my iPhone. But no wallet! I spent a very long time looking, riding the entire route back and forth very slowly, but nothing. I eventually gave up and went home.

As I was on the phone attempting to cancel my credit cards, the doorbell rang and a good Samaritan was standing there with my wallet! I've personally returned many a lost wallet in my day, so it felt good to be on the other end of it for once! At the end of the day, I just lost a pair of plastic tire levers.
Had my wallet fall out of what I thought was a secure outer compartment of a fanny bag. Spent what seemed like hours backtracking trying to find it, cursing the fact that I chose a black wallet, which looks identical to almost every single piece of black tire tread or similar garbage you see by the side of the road. I swore if I ever found the wallet, I'd immediately replace it with a day glow green one (never happened, sadly).

Cancelled all my credit cards, etc., only to get an email that afternoon from the daughter of the farm worker who found my wallet. Every single dollar and everything else was still there, and the girl flat out refused a reward of any kind. Lots of good people out there.
Old 09-23-19, 04:51 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

I previously posted to this comparable thread,"What's your limit to keep what you found on the road?":
Originally Posted by audiomagnate
I lost my wallet last week (fell out of my backpack) either on a MUP or right off it. I was hoping someone like you would find it but hours later they were exhausting my transit card.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Thanks for that cautionary tale, @audiomagnate. I once lost a small bag with some important items, mainly spare eyeglasses, on my Boston commute. There was no ID, but a name and contact information of a fellow Bike Forums subscriber with whom I had ridden.

She sent me a PM from New Jersey, and directed me to the finder, and I retrieved it from a gracious resident on that route. I left a dozen donuts on their porch the next day.

There was a thread of a similar nature on the General Cycling Forum, “Keys fell out of saddle bag”
...This thread for me reinforces my “pre-ride" and “post stop" checklists to make sure all my bags and pockets are zippered shut.
Originally Posted by cyccommute
First, I lost a camera with picture of me on a 3 day bike packing trip in Colorado….
… We toured in Michigan and Ontario.

In 1977 we moved to Boston on our bikes, as a bicycling honeymoon from Los Angeles to Washington, DC and then took the train up to Boston
After that memorable, life-changing trip we found temporary housing in a slightly seedy rooming house on the now-tony and elegant Beacon Hill. After about two weeks we moved, but could not find our camera with the last roll of pictures of the finale of the ride (very likely stolen).
Old 09-23-19, 05:17 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Not much, a couple of tools, a fat Swiss Army Knife... I lost my wallet once but had it returned a few minutes after.
Old 09-23-19, 05:29 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
2” of my left leg.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 09-23-19, 05:35 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
I have been "dropped" many times. Does that count ?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Likes For Homebrew01:
Old 09-23-19, 05:56 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 135 Posts
A couple of Camelback Podium Chills (left on my back bumper after rides). My wallet and phone on one bad day after shredding a back tire. A couple of months ago I ran over my computer when it fell off it's mount.
Old 09-23-19, 06:00 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Patches of skin, blood and half of a tooth.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 09-23-19, 07:54 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Wow. I plan on being a lot more careful...

Fortunately, I can honestly say all I've lost is a cheap tail light.

Well, that and over 100 lbs in my first year back in cycling.
Likes For one4smoke:
Old 09-23-19, 08:17 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 3,535 Times in 1,778 Posts
While fast descending Mt Hamilton on a cold day, I lowered my head, and my Rudy Project prescription glasses fell off.

This was not good. I need these glasses to see farther than arm’s length, and I couldn’t see well enough to see where they might have ended up. No riding without them, of course, and no cell phone coverage to call for a pickup.

I bent over at the waist and started walking a z-pass search of the road and the roadside. After about 45 minutes of searching, I finally found them about 50 yards from where they fell off, among the weeds in a gully on the opposite side of the road.

Phew! I completed the descent, vowing never to let my glasses slip off again.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 09-23-19, 08:59 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
While fast descending Mt Hamilton on a cold day, I lowered my head, and my Rudy Project prescription glasses fell off.

This was not good. I need these glasses to see farther than arm’s length, and I couldn’t see well enough to see where they might have ended up. No riding without them, of course, and no cell phone coverage to call for a pickup.

I bent over at the waist and started walking a z-pass search of the road and the roadside. After about 45 minutes of searching, I finally found them about 50 yards from where they fell off, among the weeds in a gully on the opposite side of the road.

Phew! I completed the descent, vowing never to let my glasses slip off again.
This makes me so grateful I was able to have LASIK surgery done!
Old 09-23-19, 09:54 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I lost any illusions about inherent goodness in people when they have a little more power than the next guy.

Put 'em in a car and see how quickly some of them change around pedestrians, cyclists, wheelchairs... anyone a little slower and more vulnerable. People have to choose to be civil. That's too much work for some.
Old 09-24-19, 12:38 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
I'm so completely paranoid about losing things, and this thread is making me even more paranoid. I can also be a space cadet, which is how I'll end up taking my pack (which I ride with) off three times making sure everything is zipped up. Me about to shove off: "am I sure I'm sure?"

My turn will come, but no painful losses yet other than most of my mind.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.