Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is my saddle too wide?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Is my saddle too wide?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-19, 10:48 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Is my saddle too wide?

I'm a long-time cyclist but I've never had this problem. Is my saddle too wide?

For years, I rode a Fizik Arione -- before they made a wide version, a channeled version, a cutout version, etc., etc., etc. Then, I got into gravel racing and switched to Brooks C17, then C13 (wide) for both gravel and road riding. I have ridden the wider C17/C13 for about 4 years. This year, I decided I wanted to do something different. I went back to an Arione R1, but to the wide version of that saddle. It's about the same width as the C13 wide and I figured even a little extra width wouldn't hurt.

But now, I have some chafing at the junction of my thigh and buttocks -- OUTBOARD from my "sit bones." What does the forum think? Is this the result of too wide a saddle? Would a return to the original (narrower) width Arione be a likely solution?
Old 09-23-19, 11:03 AM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
Watch this video
and measure your sit bones.

Typically, you should select a saddle that is at least 20 mm wider than your sit bones. A new saddle may take time to get used to and Chamois cream may help you get used to the new saddle.
Old 09-23-19, 11:06 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
I think you're right about the saddle width causing your chafing. Brooks saddles don't have the support outside the front and rear, which is why I think it wasn't an issue with those saddles. If you can comfortably ride a narrower saddle, and your preferred positioning supports it, give it a shot. Were you uncomfortable with the narrower saddle?
Old 09-23-19, 11:09 AM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Sounds like your thighs aren't clearing the tapering section between the full width seat area and the nose. You could try riding a little further forward on the saddle by moving it back slightly. Might also require a minor tilt adjustment.
Old 09-23-19, 11:56 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies. The video cautions about too wide a saddle causing chafing. Because this isn't a traditional saddle sore, but rather a big chafed area (even after having been slathered with saddle creme), I'm becoming more convinced that I just bought too wide a saddle.

I was never uncomfortable with the narrow Arione in the old days. But I took the "at least 20mm wider than sit bones" as being a safe rule of thumb. Clearly, that's just the minimum width. There's also a limit to how wide you want to go.

I think I'll take Fizik up on their 90 Day Comfort Guaranty and go back to the narrower width saddle.
Old 09-23-19, 12:32 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
The width might be ok, just that the harder edge on the fizik doesn't fold away and round off the same way as the brooks. You might be better off on the Antares or Aliante if you liked the brooks C13. I've also gotten that chafing with new chamois that had the transition right at that same spot even though the saddle is comfortable with other bibs
Old 09-23-19, 12:41 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
Thanks for the quick replies. The video cautions about too wide a saddle causing chafing. Because this isn't a traditional saddle sore, but rather a big chafed area (even after having been slathered with saddle creme), I'm becoming more convinced that I just bought too wide a saddle.

I was never uncomfortable with the narrow Arione in the old days. But I took the "at least 20mm wider than sit bones" as being a safe rule of thumb. Clearly, that's just the minimum width. There's also a limit to how wide you want to go.

I think I'll take Fizik up on their 90 Day Comfort Guaranty and go back to the narrower width saddle.
You're absolutely correct about max width.

It all comes down to your posture. Narrow saddles with an upturned rear or anatomic fit can feel great from the drops, but are agony if you sit up to balance with no hands. Wide saddles feel better with an upright posture, but too much material in between or 'beneath' your sit bones will lead to chafing in some conditions. If you're confident in your fit, try narrower. If you can move the saddle around and still be comfortable, try the suggestion of using the nose of the saddle more/sliding the saddle back on the rails.
Old 09-23-19, 06:30 PM
illdrag0n

Bikes: 2014 Focus Mares AX 2.0, 2019 Cube Litening C:62 Race Disc Teamline

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 68 Posts
I'm in a similar boat. I have 154mm sit bones and ride a 168mm Specialized Power.

Nothing i've ridden has given me better comfort in my perineum and sit bone area... BUT - inner thigh chafe is an issue on the wings.

It's still miles more comfortable than any other saddle i've used so i deal with it. I'm toying with the idea of trying a 155mm Power, but that would be right on my sit bone width. The new Fizik Tempo Argo is also on my list of things to try in 160mm
Old 09-23-19, 07:13 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by illdrag0n
I'm in a similar boat. I have 154mm sit bones and ride a 168mm Specialized Power.

Nothing i've ridden has given me better comfort in my perineum and sit bone area... BUT - inner thigh chafe is an issue on the wings.

It's still miles more comfortable than any other saddle i've used so i deal with it. I'm toying with the idea of trying a 155mm Power, but that would be right on my sit bone width. The new Fizik Tempo Argo is also on my list of things to try in 160mm
You should try the Specialized Power Arc in a 168. It's built to deal with inner thigh chafe that some get on the Power saddle.
Old 09-23-19, 07:14 PM
illdrag0n

Originally Posted by Sojodave
You should try the Specialized Power Arc in a 168. It's built to deal with inner thigh chafe that some get on the Power saddle.
I did mate, but my ass never got along with curved saddle - my bones ached something chronic.

I've always gotten along better with more flatter/platformed rear saddles
Old 09-23-19, 07:40 PM
sumgy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 58 Posts
Saddle width/@rse measuring makes me laugh.
Sounds like your saddle setup needs review.
First job is to get your saddle height and fore/aft correct. You also need to get your tilt right.
I dislike both Arione (French for @arse hatchet I think) and Brooks (rails are too short and as a result most people ride them with the nose pointed in the air).
Given you have been using Brooks, are you trying to set up the Arione up the same way?
If you are then you may have the nose pointing up in the air.
You may be able to adjust your fore/aft more with the Arione too (and may need that rather than having the nose up).
Old 09-23-19, 08:54 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
A long-time saddle sore sufferer, I've recently started riding a Selle Italia Flite TM Flow. It has a very well-defined T shape, with less material where I tend to get sores than anything I've tried to date. I've leveled the saddle so the the exact area my bones press on is what's level. That really helps my butt stay in one place. The cut-away between there and the nose keeps my upper hams from touching, plus that area is very well rounded and smooth. The sore I was developing has gone away since getting this one dialed in. It's the width recommended by my sit bone measurement.

An interesting exercise is to collect printed images of candidate saddles' plan view, blown up to the same scale and hold them up to the light for comparison, looking to see if the saddle has material where one is getting sore.

Old 09-23-19, 09:35 PM
illdrag0n

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
A long-time saddle sore sufferer, I've recently started riding a Selle Italia Flite TM Flow. It has a very well-defined T shape, with less material where I tend to get sores than anything I've tried to date. I've leveled the saddle so the the exact area my bones press on is what's level. That really helps my butt stay in one place. The cut-away between there and the nose keeps my upper hams from touching, plus that area is very well rounded and smooth. The sore I was developing has gone away since getting this one dialed in. It's the width recommended by my sit bone measurement.

An interesting exercise is to collect printed images of candidate saddles' plan view, blown up to the same scale and hold them up to the light for comparison, looking to see if the saddle has material where one is getting sore.

Really wish they made this in a 160-165mm width. Been eyeing it off for years
Old 09-24-19, 06:59 AM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
how aggressive is your bike fit? 160mm+ width is for very upright position
Likes For Chi_Z:
Old 09-24-19, 07:46 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bike Fit?

Both the OP and @illdrag0n may want to consider cross posting to the "fitting your bike" forum. We also have a saddle swap thread in the marketplace.
Old 09-24-19, 02:54 PM
illdrag0n

Originally Posted by Chi_Z
how aggressive is your bike fit? 160mm+ width is for very upright position
Saddle just higher than bars (not overly aggressive). The issue being i have been measured to have woman hips, 154mm in width
Old 09-24-19, 06:08 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Saddle just higher than bars (not overly aggressive). The issue being i have been measured to have woman hips, 154mm in width
So get a woman's saddle. Nothing wrong with them. I've ridden one, OK, just not quite my fit. Very nice women's equipment is being made now.
Old 09-24-19, 06:35 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
those measurements are often misused, your sitbone gets narrower as more forward rotation your pelvis gets. So the same person would require a narrow sadder for aggressive fit and wider saddle for relaxed ones
Likes For Chi_Z:
Old 09-24-19, 06:40 PM
sumgy

those measurements are often misused, your sitbone gets narrower as more forward rotation your pelvis gets. So the same person would require a narrow sadder for aggressive fit and wider saddle for relaxed ones
Possibly why exercise bikes at gyms have big wide saddles.
Old 09-24-19, 06:44 PM
illdrag0n

A good point im sure. I was fit using Retul at my specialized dealer. I tried the power arc and romin 155, and the romin evo 168mm - none really agreed with me.

The 168mm power is the only one that feels supportive on the ass bones and my taint. A tiny little bit of sting on the inner chafe (it's not terrible) at the end of a 60km ride isn't the worst. I'd also say, being 138kg means my thunder quads probably don't help either
Old 09-24-19, 07:07 PM
sumgy

A good point im sure. I was fit using Retul at my specialized dealer. I tried the power arc and romin 155, and the romin evo 168mm - none really agreed with me.

The 168mm power is the only one that feels supportive on the ass bones and my taint. A tiny little bit of sting on the inner chafe (it's not terrible) at the end of a 60km ride isn't the worst. I'd also say, being 138kg means my thunder quads probably don't help either
I don't want to come across rude, but I have had 2 Body Geometry fittings and 1 Retul fitting.
Not one of them worked for me, and none of them reflect my current fit.
In fact I have now had the same fit for probably 5 years or so untouched.
My saddle height was moved down 6cm since my last Retul fit, and my saddle sores and hip soreness have both disappeared.

Old fit

New fit

Old 09-24-19, 07:16 PM
illdrag0n

Originally Posted by sumgy
I don't want to come across rude, but I have had 2 Body Geometry fittings and 1 Retul fitting.
Not one of them worked for me, and none of them reflect my current fit.
In fact I have now had the same fit for probably 5 years or so untouched.
My saddle height was moved down 6cm since my last Retul fit, and my saddle sores and hip soreness have both disappeared.

Old fit

New fit

Not rude at all.

I have no issues with my fit. Back pain, hip pain, pelvic rocking etc etc is all non-existant. If it wasn't for thigh rub, it would be perfect.

The fit actually brought my saddle down a couple CM and back a couple CM. Have been much better for it since. 0 saddle sores or perineum soreness over long distance.

I do have some other saddles i want to try (SMP Well M1 and Fizik Tempo Argo for example) but im hesitant to stuff around with things too much.
Old 09-24-19, 07:21 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Question - why experiment with different seats when you've been riding ones that work? OK, for gravel vs road, you might want a seat that is a touch wider on the gravel but I would stick to the same basic shape. Now,if your previous seats were never "ah, this is it" seats, then keep looking.

A great help is physical bike shops that allow you to bring back experiments that didn't work. A shop here in Portland has a "library" of about 2 dozen seats on shelves. You pay $25 for a library card, then can take out seats for a week at a time, as many as you want. If you find one you like, your $25 is credited toward the new, in-the-box seat. Many other shops allow you to ride a new seat for long enough to really get to know it and bring it back, the money going to store credit.

Edit: I didn't see your last post until after I posted this. If you do want to explore further, consider asking your shop about returns so you only need to buy one seat.

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 09-24-19 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-24-19, 07:22 PM
sumgy

Not rude at all.

I have no issues with my fit. Back pain, hip pain, pelvic rocking etc etc is all non-existant. If it wasn't for thigh rub, it would be perfect.
Is the thigh rub on both sides or just one?
Both sides I would think is due to your saddle being too wide.
Only one side and I would say you are sitting over to one side for some reason.
Old 09-24-19, 07:27 PM
illdrag0n

Originally Posted by sumgy
Is the thigh rub on both sides or just one?
Both sides I would think s due to your saddle being too wide.
Only one side and I would say you are sitting over to one side for some reason.
Yeah both sides. One of my cheaper bib shorts is actually showing fraying about halfway down the back of the leg.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.