Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Comparison of two apps/programs to control your smart trainer

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 10-04-19, 10:51 AM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts

The two apps I use to control my smart trainer (formerly a BKool Pro 1st generation, and now a Tac-X Genius) are the BKool app available at BKool.com and Zwift available at Zwift.com.

There are advantages to each of these platforms as well as disadvantages.

I am only going to compare the paid subscriptions of these two apps.

Pros and cons:

1) Both can be controlled by a smart phone, tablet, or PC
2) Both display your metrics if you have sensors (heart rate monitor, cadence sensor, power meter), and without sensors both display speed and estimated power.
3) Both will simulate drafting if you ride behind another rider, but Zwift no longer gives you that surge when a group ride goes by you like it used to.
4) Bkool allows you to sync to Strava so that any ride you record on Strava will not only be recorded in BKool, but also is able to be ridden in BKool.
5) BKool allows you to race yourself by setting an avatar that mimics your previous ride on a route - Zwift does not.
6) Zwift has way better graphics than BKool, but the BKool 3d graphics aren't bad.
7) BKool lets your virtual ride be one that has actual video of the route if someone recorded the video and synced it to their ride. So your speed controls how fast you pedal through the video (problem with this is that on a downhill simulating 70mph you can lock up the graphics on your computer). Zwift doesn't do this.
8) Both BKool and Zwift allow you to set up group rides, but BKool allows voice communication between riders if they are 50 feet or so from each other on the course.
9) Both BKool and Zwift have FTP tests. I am not sure which is better or more accurate, but the BKool test is easier to set up and more straight forward (pedal at your maximum effort for 20 minutes up a constant grade which I think is 2%).
10) BKool has Velodrome racing and Zwift does not.
11) Zwift has more activities daily than BKool. BKool has leagues that you have to qualify to ride.
12) BKool allows me to import a .GPX file so I can train for a ride such as the 25 mile route of a charity ride that is an hour away and held once a year.

All in all I like both platforms and use them when I am riding indoors.
Old 10-04-19, 11:23 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by dagray
All in all I like both platforms and use them when I am riding indoors.
Hey David, first we met on BKOOL, then Strava, and now BikeForums! Nice comparison of the two apps. I'm now forced to do indoor riding only for the next 6 months (due to the risk of falling while riding on blood thinners), so I'll primarily be on Zwift. See you there, too!
Old 10-04-19, 12:01 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
Hey David, first we met on BKOOL, then Strava, and now BikeForums! Nice comparison of the two apps. I'm now forced to do indoor riding only for the next 6 months (due to the risk of falling while riding on blood thinners), so I'll primarily be on Zwift. See you there, too!
We are running quickly into the indoor riding season with higher winds, rain, and cold weather.

I my last two years have been very low miles, but I am going to work on picking up my mileage even if it means riding the trainer.

Low miles can be attributed to me always getting saddle sores (I have changed my saddle and think I will start trimming the hair between my thigh and buttock), some medical issues (lack of motivation to do anything, but that is being addressed and I have more motivation and energy now).

I still have my 2013 Orbea Orca that I bought brand new in January 2015, but I have upgraded the wheelset to Rolf Vigor RS (24 spoke front and rear), upgraded the bars to 46cm wide 35mm diameter Deda carbon bars, upgraded the groupset to 11 speed Ultegra from the 10 speed 105, upgraded to a Selle SMP "Evolution" saddle, changed to the Dura-Ace SPD-SL +4mm pedals, and gone to Maxxis Padrone 700x25 tubeless tires. Bike runs like a dream; now to work on the bike engine (me) to get lighter and more fit.

See you on Zwift or Bkool