Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Kinekt seatpost

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Kinekt seatpost

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-19, 11:12 AM
DubT

Bikes: Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
Kinekt seatpost

A few years ago I bought a specialized CG-R seatpost for my wife (stoker) it helped a little with the bumps.

After adding the PAS motor to the bike our average speed went up and I was not announcing bumps like she preferred.

I bought the KINEKT seatpost and she is HAPPY. I followed the instruction videos on how to set the height and adjust the spring. She is extremely satisfied with the ride!

I moved the CG-R to the captain position and it does help a little.

It is worth the investment!!!!
Old 10-06-19, 11:24 PM
jim_pridx

Bikes: 2010 Bob Brown Cycles tandem, 2019 Co-Mo Carrera tandem, 1980 Richardson tandem, 2014 Cervelo R3, 2018 Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Bianchi Campione, 1983 Trek 720, 2020 Trek Fuel EX8, 2021 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 70 Posts
While I haven't personally experienced the Kinekt (or formerly the Bodyfloat), we have one on both of our stoker seatpost positions on our tandems, and my wife says that it works better than the Thudbuster and other suspension seatposts that she's tried. I did have a CG-R on my solo 2018 Specialized Roubaix and didn't like it much at all. While it was okay, I just seemed to bobble around on it a bit too much. Once I swapped it out for an FSA K-Force SB25, I was much happier. While the Kinekt is considerably heavier than most seatposts that are available out there these days, if it makes my stoker happy, that's all that really matters!

Last edited by jim_pridx; 10-07-19 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-07-19, 11:49 PM
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Yup. Excellent isolation post. Like nothing else.

I mentioned in another posting, before we traded mtb frames to a full suspension, we had a Kinekt 3.1 on our hardtail. My wife is only 95lbs and so setting up the springs for trail usage was interesting. We ended up configuring the springs one weight level higher than her category and fully backed off the preload to let er float the maximum travel because we were riding really rough single track for the most part. The feedback of the experience was always "no problem. smooth, etc".

Here's a video I shot of her riding, where you'll notice her moving up and down with the rear of the bike, but never a bash or nasty bump to her sit area. There are a few still pics at the start, then it gets rolling. You'll hear her make some exclamations as I tease her with comments about us heading down some of the early drops in the trail that looked scary.
see:

Our full suspension mtb tandem now takes up the rough terrain really well, so the Kinekt 3.1 carbon post was sold because we had no other bikes (including our Calfee tandem) that needed it.

Anyway, the above usage results pretty much prove the range of this post. If your stoker is needing something to tame the stoker experience, this post is it.

Last edited by twocicle; 11-26-19 at 02:10 PM.
Likes For twocicle:
Old 10-30-19, 03:32 PM
Chris_W
Likes to Ride Far

Bikes: road+, gravel, commuter/tourer, tandem, e-cargo, folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I recently posted a review of the Kinekt suspension seatpost on my Ride Far blog, mostly focusing on using it for gravel and long-distance solo bike riding:
https://ridefar.info/2019/10/cirrus-...sion-seatpost/
Overall, I was very impressed with how it worked and how tunable the ride feel was. Far better than the Thudbuster ST I've used before.
Likes For Chris_W:
Old 10-31-19, 10:59 PM
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Nice review Chris.

I should add to my feedback that as we intended to use this post for mtb tandeming, initially I was concerned about the post not having enough travel. Speaking with Cirrus, they did suggest it was possible to add an additional 10mm of travel by removing the bump stop elastomer, especially since it is doubtful my 95lb stoker could possibly do any damage to it at her weight. We started out with a softer spring setup and more preload (platform), but that didn't provide enough controlled float over rougher terrain. After a couple rides we bumped up the springs to dual purples which was essentially the next full weight category up. With dual purple springs and a non-firm platform (backing off the preload screw by 1 or 2 full turns from her platform tune point), this provided Linda with great compliance and a more consistent isolation float. Even riding very rough terrain, Linda never reported feeling the post bottom out and so we never had an actual need to remove the bump stop elastomer... the default travel range was plenty, even with this more extreme terrain use. This is what really made be a fan - it was a lot more supple than you might think based on experience with other posts.
Likes For twocicle: