Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

SIDI Shoe Fit Question

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

SIDI Shoe Fit Question

Old 10-09-19, 07:43 AM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
SIDI Shoe Fit Question

I have a pair of SIDI road shoes that are my primary riding shoes, and have had them since 2001 (!) - a testament to their build quality. For those who care, they are the "Energy" model, which was at or near top of the line back then. They have the nylon sole with the cleat plate inserts, and the sole has an adjuster that allows for variable sole stiffness (I don't notice much difference at either end of the spectrum). These sat on a shelf pretty much from 2010 until this year, so it's not like they have had 18 years of daily use, but still quite a bit.

In any case, I am thinking it may be time for a new pair as some of the parts on these shoes seem to be no longer available. My searches have taken me to UK retailers, as they have the lowest prices (I bought my current SIDI's when I lived in the UK). I don't appear to have a local retailer who stocks SIDI, so I don't have an opportunity to try on or buy off the shelf locally.

My question is, has SIDI sizing/fit changed at all since 2001? My fear is that I buy my current size (48) from a UK retailer, receive the shoes and they don't fit. I know, I take the risk here by trying to save some cash, but if today's 48 fits much like my 48's from 18 years ago, the risk is largely mitigated.

For the most part, I want to stay with SIDI, as I like the fit/quality/styling. I also have a pair of older Shimano shoes (SH-R150) and while they are nice, they have not held up over time.
Old 10-09-19, 09:34 AM
coupster

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
SIDI did change their sizing. Unfortunately I can't tell you when. My SIDI's from the 90's finally gave up the ghost about 10 years ago and when I replaced them I had to go up a full size from 42 to 43. Shopping across the pond makes the process difficult. But when I buy shoes online (bought the SIDI's local) I buy from a vendor with a liberal return policy and order a couple of pair that bracket my best size guess. Keep what fits and return the others.
Old 10-09-19, 09:38 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
My first experience with Sidi was about 2 months ago. I bought some Carbon Kaos Air road shoes. I love the shoes and the quality is clearly there. As to fit....every pair of shoes, boots, moto boots and cycle shoes I've ever bought was a 10 1/2 US or 45 EU. So, I went with that. Too small by a fair amount. Sent them back and got a 46 and they are good. Although, because Sidi uses a thin insert, I could have worn a 45.5 as well.
Old 10-09-19, 09:44 AM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by coupster
SIDI did change their sizing. Unfortunately I can't tell you when. My SIDI's from the 90's finally gave up the ghost about 10 years ago and when I replaced them I had to go up a full size from 42 to 43.
Funny; I went from a 42 to 43 also.....about 1998. To the OP; I had the same Energy that you describe, and by that time, their sizes had already changed. So chances are you should stick with the same size as you recently had.
Old 10-09-19, 05:40 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Mine are a couple years old (sorry, I lost the box in a move and do not recall what model they are--maybe some sort of Genius model?). They are nice, mostly carbon where it counts. Absolutely love 'em. Anyhoo, I wear a 10 1/2 US as well. I looked at the Sidi sizing chart and 10 1/2 US comes in somewhere between a 44 1/2 and just below a 45. I went with the 44 1/2. It was a tad snug in the very beginning, but over time, it has stretched a bit and they are now perfect. You should def look at a Sidi sizing chart, IMO. It seems pretty accurate to me.
Old 10-09-19, 06:00 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
Am a solid D width and 12 length. Sidi 47 fits me well. Of course mine are from 1995, and are well broken in. Sidi Genius Mega model.
Old 10-10-19, 07:42 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 215 Posts
I had a pair of Sidi shoes in the early 90s and they were a size 48, but they were a bit small and I generally wore them without socks. Sadly, my dog ate those in 1995. I got a pair of size 49 Sidi road shoes (Genius?) in ~2004 or so and they fit lovelily with socks. I got a pair of Sidi MTB shoes in ~2009, size 49, and they fit pretty much the same as my 2004 road shoes..
Old 10-10-19, 07:44 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
You can gain approximately an additional size with most cycling shoes by removing the insole padding. Bought a pair of road shoes at a thrift store that were slightly small, but with the insole removed they now fit perfectly.
Old 10-11-19, 07:19 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I just bought a pair of Sidi shoes and others had told me to add a size. I followed the Sidi sizing guide, which claims to compensate for their shoes being more narrow and it ended up recommending a 47 - which is the same size I had in previous shoes (Lake and Northwave). I think I'm a 46.5 but not a common size to find.

The Sidi's are definitely snugger on the sides, about the same amount of toe room. By loosening up the two velcro toe box straps, they feel fine. I've only done a few rides outside with them, as I usually try to break in new shoes on the indoor trainer over the winter, and no problems on the 30-40 mile rides, feet feel fine.
Old 10-11-19, 01:06 PM
biker222

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I have been using a pair of Sidi Energy shoes which I think they are 42 to 43 size since 2000.
I put a coating of AquaSeal around the top edge of heel to keep wearing in check and extend their life.
I put my old Time shoe insoles in them after maybe about 5yrs of use with originals and still using the Time insoles today.
They fit very well and are amazing how durable they are. Probably start looking for a new replacement soon for transition.
Old 10-12-19, 12:40 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
I used the print out fit template on their website and it didn't steer me wrong.
Likes For Steamer: