Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Classic and Vintage bikes that didn’t wow

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Classic and Vintage bikes that didn’t wow

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-19, 09:36 AM
MobiBike

Bikes: 90's Norco Nitro, 90's Softride traveler, 90's Jamis Dakota, 84 Schwinn High Sierra,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by masi61
I’m curious about the 2 titanium bikes on the list. What about them didn’t work out for you?
This particular Clark Kent I had was too stiff for my weight then and the chip seal roads of Idaho. (a Bianchi Carbon Virata replaced it)

The Miyata was possibly my mistake. The trend of the day then was to buy smaller bikes, and I never found a "happy feel" zone. It sort of reminded me of riding a flat feeling soft aluminum bike. It lacked a certain spring back I was looking for (my Italian steel Olmo did have) , and I was overly influenced in those days with finding stupid light weight, which it was not. Amazing nice build quality! As time passed, Miyata bikes became a favored brand of mine in the handling department! Feel vote went to Italian brands however.

So one was too stiff, the other too softish sorta.
Likes For MobiBike:
Old 10-10-19, 09:51 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
Originally Posted by MobiBike
The Miyata was possibly my mistake. The trend of the day then was to buy smaller bikes, and I never found a "happy feel" zone. It sort of reminded me of riding a flat feeling soft aluminum bike. It lacked a certain spring back I was looking for (my Italian steel Olmo did have) , and I was overly influenced in those days with finding stupid light weight, which it was not. Amazing nice build quality! As time passed, Miyata bikes became a favored brand of mine in the handling department! Feel vote went to Italian brands however.

So one was too stiff, the other too softish sorta.
That was the same impression I had with the Litespeed. There was just something missing.
Old 10-10-19, 09:57 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3359 Post(s)
Liked 3,637 Times in 1,243 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
I've had two Treks (510 and 710 framesets built up) and thought both were too whippy. Never toured on the Ishiwata 022-tubed 510 but the Reynolds 531-tubed 710 alarmed me on descents with an unsettling wobble. I was always able to ride it out but my old hi-ten Batavus did the same thing; not a feeling you want in the Alps.

When I retired I bought myself a Bridgestone RB-T and while attempting a TransAm tour learned it did the same thing, that good ol' shimmy on a down hill. It's fine for normal riding or for touring on flat ground but I want a bike that's rock solid with four panniers on a downhill. Incidentally, I tried the RB-T with four panniers and separately with a B.O.B. trailer and it shimmied less with the trailer but still did it. Do not like that feeling.

That's really what I care about as far as performance goes. If a bike fits and works I'll ride it. I'm not fast, and not particularly discriminating as far as responsive and acceleration go. Get me there without scaring the hell out of me and I'm happy.
Yeah, I don't think I would want to load up my 710.

I have found it to be rock solid on descents with a 63mm offset fork, 650b x 38mm tires, and a ~6lb handlebar bag, but that's pretty lightly loaded. No shimmy even up to 45mph. I think ready to ride weight is somewhere around 35lbs. It is a little whippy, especially in my 64cm size.

The flex is very welcomed in the context I use it as a randonneuring bike, but it certainly doesn't feel like a tourer. I couldn't imagine front and rear panniers on this thing.
Old 10-10-19, 11:03 AM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 520 Times in 281 Posts
I had a late 70's Serotta Club special for about a month. It felt heavy and overbuilt. Not really my cup of tea.
Old 10-10-19, 11:20 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
To follow this theme - vintage bands/songs that don't wow?

I'll start with The Pogues in general, and Fairytale of NY in particular. Boring song, frat bro, drunken lout band. Not even MacColl can save this stinker.
Old 10-10-19, 12:30 PM
GordoTrek

Bikes: 1962 Carlton Franco-Suisse Custom,1968 Raleigh DL-1/Tourist, 1971 Holdsworth Professional, 1973 Holdsworth Mistral,1973 Raleigh Gran Sport,1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1993 Trek 2200 Composite, 2011 Trek 7.3FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
My '73 Raleigh Super Course that I brought back to life. Sat in the stand for months, coffee colored, nothing special about it and it fit me well. Just didn't do anything for me. I think it's mostly because I had a Gran Sport fall into my lap a few months after I purchased the Super Course and the Gran Sport got all of my attention, which btw did give me the WOW.

Old 10-10-19, 01:16 PM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
A 1982 Raleigh Super Corse built in Japan by Panasonic (I think it was Panasonic). It rode like a donkey until I changed out the original wheels with some Mavic 501 hubs laced to some nice Mavic SUP rims....she flies now and I am very glad I sorted the issue out, it is a great all-rounder.
Old 10-10-19, 01:48 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Around 1994 a customer ordered in a Ritchey road bike. Don't remember the model, but it was very nice. After assembly, I took it for a spin and was shocked at how ill mannered it was. The front end was super sensitive to input and I did not like it at all. The customer was nuts about it, and he ordered a Ritchey Swisscross after that! The Swisscross was much more to my liking.
Old 10-10-19, 02:53 PM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 520 Times in 281 Posts
And this is exactly why I prefer to take my chances on cheap used (nice) bikes, rather than being fitted for a bespoke custom frame. After paying $$$, it could just not feel or ride great.
Old 10-10-19, 05:48 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Which is the exact opposite of the feeling you get when something you pay almost nothing for, turns out to be something to die for. Way more satisfaction from that, cheaper too.
Old 10-10-19, 05:57 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
Yeah... sometimes when you pay the BIG bucks for something there is a subconscious factor in play that tells you to 'like' that which you purchased come Hades or high water!
Old 10-10-19, 06:06 PM
TiHabanero

Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Whoa, fellas! The customer I referenced loved the quickness of the bike, and it was exactly what he wanted built. I, on the other hand, hated it. When going custom the builder builds to suit. You tell him what you want and he builds it. This guy wanted a race bike and got one. Not sure it actually had a model name as it was built to spec.
Old 10-10-19, 07:01 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 1,407 Posts
Hate to say it, but pretty much every Peugeot ever made.
Old 10-10-19, 07:07 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by GravelGuy
A first generation Colnago Master. I ride a 53cm and the bike was too stiff. I still ride a 74 Colnago Super and it's one of my favs, but that Master, after about 30 miles was miserable to be on.
My Master is from the new generation of steel frames coming out of Ernesto’s shop.

it is a great riding bike. It would be interesting to do a side by side comparison and figure out where the difference is.
Old 10-10-19, 07:09 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
To follow this theme - vintage bands/songs that don't wow?

I'll start with The Pogues in general, and Fairytale of NY in particular. Boring song, frat bro, drunken lout band. Not even MacColl can save this stinker.
Obviously, you have fallen from the grace of god.

But along your theme, anytime Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin plays on xrt, I turn immediately to 101. When they play Linkin Park, I turn back. Hate those 3 in particular. Never cared much for Mick Jagger, ick. And I have similar ideas about Elvis as Public Enemy.
Old 10-10-19, 08:54 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
I've had a few that I just didn't connect with although they do get raved about and I searched them out based on reps.

One was a Trek 560 Pro. It was competent enough but I just never came to terms with it despite trying various wheels and gearing options on it. I just never felt compelled to ride it and eventually moved it on to a lady that fell in love with it from the first test ride.

Another was a 1987 Paramount. Here again, I chased after the "right one" for a while and finally found this one. Beautiful bike, tastefully upgraded, should have blown my doors off yet I seemed to always choose other bikes over it. I even preferred the 87 Circuit I still have over it. This was moved on to another rider also. The Paramount always felt "soft" in the back like it was flexing or something when I tried to push it. I tried several wheelsets on it and they never helped, go figure....

Another one (or two) that didn't do anything for me in terms of riding fun were a pair of the Huffy built Raleigh Team USA bikes. Neither quite the right size and I just never felt right on either one. I did love the paint job though and for that alone I'd love to find another one in my size. Silly I know.

Old 10-10-19, 09:18 PM
sumgy

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 58 Posts
Said it before, but my Gilco tubed Colnago Master Olympic was the harshest riding bike I ever owned.
Old 10-10-19, 09:19 PM
Goofball

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by iab

But along your theme, anytime Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin plays on xrt, I turn immediately to 101. When they play Linkin Park, I turn back. Hate those 3 in particular. Never cared much for Mick Jagger, ick. And I have similar ideas about Elvis as Public Enemy.
Get copies of beggar's banquet, let it bleed, sticky fingers and exile on main street, a bottle of your favorite bourbon, a pack of Marlboro's, lock yourself in a room and play these albums continuously. Eventually you will have your rolling stones epiphany 🎸🎷
Old 10-11-19, 12:34 AM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
It’d be interesting to hear people’s weights and riding styles along with their bike duds. One person's whippy is another’s dead.
Old 10-11-19, 05:35 AM
Trakhak

Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by iab

Nothing by Pink Floyd after their first album, Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, holds any interest for me. Or, to put it another way, I'll take playful over ponderous every time.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 10-11-19, 05:37 AM
Trakhak

Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Goofball
Get copies of beggar's banquet, let it bleed, sticky fingers and exile on main street, a bottle of your favorite bourbon, a pack of Marlboro's, lock yourself in a room and play these albums continuously. Eventually you will have your rolling stones epiphany 🎸🎷
Agree, except I'd replace everything after "Get copies of" with Between The Buttons. And with The Who Sell Out, of course.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 10-11-19, 07:32 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,600 Times in 1,764 Posts
My expectations are generally not that high, and I'm quite willing to forgive a bike any minor issues, so I'm not often disappointed. One did fall way short, though: this Peugeot PA60.

Bought it as a bare frame, and spent quite some time and my nicest French parts on the build. Rode it twice. On both occasions I headed back home prematurely because I was bored.

I suspect the geometry has something to do with it. Or maybe it comes alive with 40lbs of luggage? Not going to try it. It has served as a parts donor for other projects since, and is now almost back to a bare frame again.

Old 10-11-19, 07:45 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by iab

Zeppelin, I'm right with you. Hobbit rock, and I don't like Plant's vocals. They also just seem so incredibly stupid. Floyd...I mostly agree, but I do like a few tunes. Elvis...I get the Public Enemy approach, I appreciate it, but he still was a damned fine performer, and some of those earlier tunes, appropriation or not, are pretty good. Don't get me wrong...he's no Chuck Berry.

Whenever anyone asks me Beatles or Stones, I answer The Kinks. I do like the stones a lot, but they can be a bit repetitive.
Old 10-11-19, 08:56 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts

When I saw the '86 Peloton on craigslist I couldn't get there fast enough. There's a whole thread dedicated to this thing, and it's got Columbus tubing and the stays aren't painted they're "black chrome" and oh man it's gonna be awesome!

Meh. Maybe it was a victim of expectations.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 10-11-19, 08:59 AM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
I remember NOT posting in this thread a year ago, fearing an outcry of contempt.

But I never really liked the ride of this mid-80s Trek '600 Series'.
Frame felt flexy. I never measured but I think it had a lot of BB drop.
(Maybe I'm just not of a Touring Mindset)
It wasn't simply that the frame was a tad large because my SuperCourse (same size and heavier than the Trek) was a more pleasant ride.

The Raleigh had a long stem and I could really stretch and relax on this bike, just not a climber.
I have almost the same Trek. It was exactly the same when I got it. I found it rides a lot better with a GXP bottom bracket. I also added Tiagra derailleurs and brifters, but I love the ride of the bike. I think some of the noodliness comes from the bb. I got mine in Bloomington,Illinois at a bike shop that was on my commute home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.