Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Making own metallic flake paint

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 10-04-19, 03:43 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts

I do not have a spray gun so I brush paint the frames. I want to create a metallic metal flake copper paint using Rustoleum copper and Valspar silver glitter paint crystals from Lowe's.

Something tells me this is the wrong stuff. Please direct me to the proper metal flake that can be added to the paint so it can be turned into metallic paint.
Old 10-04-19, 05:07 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,808 Times in 1,534 Posts
FYI the Pre val sprayers work pretty well, I got good results using them with auto paint on a frame for my son that I first stripped to bare metal

IIRC right you paint color and then clear with the metal flake......not metal flake in the color.......a bit like candy apple is tinted clear coat over a glitter base,

Old 10-04-19, 05:10 PM
TiHabanero

Squirtdad, I did not know that was how it was done. Who woulda thunk that the clear has the flake in it, not the color. Thank you for the tip.
Old 10-04-19, 05:32 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
Even a cheap spray gun is way better than brush painting a frame. I've used one of these cheap Harbor Freight guns to paint several frames. https://www.harborfreight.com/adjust...gun-92126.html

If you don't want to buy a compressor, spray gun and expensive paint, you should check out Spray Bike. They have a copper colored paint that is made to imitate copper plating. https://spraybike.us/

BTW- All of the base/clear metallic paints I've used had the metal flakes in the base coat.
Old 10-04-19, 06:19 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Originally Posted by squirtdad
FYI the Pre val sprayers work pretty well, I got good results using them with auto paint on a frame for my son that I first stripped to bare metal

IIRC right you paint color and then clear with the metal flake......not metal flake in the color.......a bit like candy apple is tinted clear coat over a glitter base,
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Squirtdad, I did not know that was how it was done. Who woulda thunk that the clear has the flake in it, not the color. Thank you for the tip.
I am not claiming hands on expertise (other than on the pre val) I recall this from by brother working on cars years ago and a fellow coastie doing creative helmet painting. I did some googling and saw DIY with flake in the clear....but I am would guess there is more than one way to paint a flake so to speak.

so you need more research or I will feel bad if it get goofed up

Old 10-05-19, 09:51 AM
wsteve464

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
You can get auto paint in spray cans.

https://www.erapaints.com/product-ca...s/spray-paint/ you just need to find the paint code

or visit a local auto paint supplier
Old 10-07-19, 10:51 AM
TiHabanero

Well, I picked up the copper Rustoleum metallic spray paint at the local Ace hardware. Sprayed it this morning and in sunlight it is exactly what I was looking for. Hopefully the paint doesn't chip and scratch like spray jobs usually do when I apply them. If not durable enough, a repaint next year with a brush will be in order. As I said to my wife's sister, I don't care if spray lays down super smooth, I care about durability, and so far brushed on enamel has worked best for what I do.
Old 10-07-19, 05:22 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Have you looked into Spray Bike spray paint? They have a metallic flake option on some of their clears.

https://spraybike.us/
Old 10-09-19, 01:37 PM
squirtdad

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Well, I picked up the copper Rustoleum metallic spray paint at the local Ace hardware. Sprayed it this morning and in sunlight it is exactly what I was looking for. Hopefully the paint doesn't chip and scratch like spray jobs usually do when I apply them. If not durable enough, a repaint next year with a brush will be in order. As I said to my wife's sister, I don't care if spray lays down super smooth, I care about durability, and so far brushed on enamel has worked best for what I do.
FWIW in painting a grand total of 2 frames one with autostore/hardware store rattle can and one with automotive paint (using the pre-val) the rattle can is not at all durable even though you can get a very pretty finish it doesn't last

I doubt I will ever paint a frame again....the rattle can job frame is getting close to being sent off for powder coat

Old 10-10-19, 05:10 AM
dsaul

Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
My local powder coater charges me between $100 and $150 for a frame, depending on the color and how many layers it requires. Some colors are translucent and require a base color of silver or chrome, so they cost more. Prismatic Powders has a huge variety of colors and finishes available https://www.prismaticpowders.com/

I don't understand why anyone would put in the effort necessary to build a frame and then go for a low quality finish. The only thing most people notice is the finish
Old 10-10-19, 08:28 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
My local powder coater charges me between $100 and $150 for a frame, depending on the color and how many layers it requires. Some colors are translucent and require a base color of silver or chrome, so they cost more. Prismatic Powders has a huge variety of colors and finishes available https://www.prismaticpowders.com/

I don't understand why anyone would put in the effort necessary to build a frame and then go for a low quality finish. The only thing most people notice is the finish

This! Most people don't know how to or what to look for on a hand made frame to determine the "quality" of the build. They see the sizzly and assume the steak will be good too. Book by it's cover stuff.

Of course I expect some here in this forum to claim they can discern this stuff and maybe they can. Just like in a choir some will be able to read music and hit the pitch perfectly and others are just good at following along. Andy
Old 10-11-19, 06:52 PM
TiHabanero

The reason I paint my own frames is that the frames are made for me, not resale. I use the crap out of them so they do get banged around quite a bit, and get repainted every couple of years as the fancy hits me. One more reason is that I am cheap. For 16 bucks the job is done, and from 20 feet it looks swell! One last reason: This time around there is only one run in the paint. I am learning to paint. Along with learning to paint, I also learned that brushed on paint is more durable than rattle can. See, it is all about the experience, which is one of the reasons I took up the hobby of frame building.
Old 10-11-19, 09:40 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

TH- I have no problem with your reasoning as long as you have no problem with what others think of your frames. Others might feel differently, I am at this second state. When I first started out (drafting on the floor in full scale, a bright backround and my eyes for alignment) I did my own paint. Devilbiss production gun and Imron on the roof, trying to keep up wind... Facilities come and go and painting became more expensive when someone else does it. Did a few brush jobs with Sears marine deck paint (and with roller application instructions on the can) bought in the gallon, still a catalized/hardener/color chemistry. Went back to others doing my paint in search of nicer results. I've had more then a dozen painters (including me) work for me. Learned a lot and made a bunch of prep and "trust" mistakes.

The most recent frame was wet painted by the powder painter I use for bits and for bike shop customer recommendations. Wet paint because I wanted decals to be under clear and he won't apply them without a lot of time/$. (My decals are SSSInk dry aps, not PC heat resistant) and PCing doesn't like spray on layers, the added spray on will flake/peal off in time. So I went to a auto paint supply store and got some spray cans that use a two part chemistry. You punch a plunger in the can's bottom, shake a bit and spray. The results were actually pretty good for not practicing or really spraying for many years. The frame is to be my 5 speed IGH with dyno lighting urban bike. Against all my earlier statements it looks like a garage job and the hand made lugs, the custom wiring clips, the self made rack will not be noticed by most. For this frame/bike that's ok. But the next one will see a quality wet job that will cost a lot.

Much of what I post is for the masses and I understand that each situation can drift from what's "BEST". I keep building because I like to. Most of the time I also like the results to look good to others. Andy
Old 10-12-19, 05:09 PM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
The Harbor Freight purple spray gun is $10. And a 1hp craigslist special compressor is enough to drive it. You may have to wait for the compressor to catch up at times but it's doable.

Regarding metal flake paint jobs...I helped a friend paint his frame one time and he decided on metallic purple. At the time I had access to a state of the art PPG mixing station on the weekends when the shop was shut down and I invited him in to help me with the job. Being a bit unfamiliar with mixing and so forth we picked a color and mixed it up but when the time came for adding the metallic we went a bit overboard (my opinion.) He loved it though, or at least said he did. That frame looked looked like a 1960's hot rod; a bit garish in my opinion. The dude was a tri rider and a damn good one. If you are as strong as he was you could ride anything and nobody would dare give you $hit (other than your friends in kidding.) Anyway, that's my experience with metal flake paint jobs.
Old 10-12-19, 09:26 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

At Cyclery North our team color was a pink that phase shifted from red to white. It grew on me. It did get some negative comments from the pack but the team was OK knowing that they had to show up to go hard and justify what was called a "sissy color" (Said knowing that is so not politically correct these days)