Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are Drop bars just an illusion for most?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are Drop bars just an illusion for most?

Old 10-07-19, 02:29 PM
H2Orat

Bikes: 1991 Giant Cadex 980c & Co-op Cycles DRT 2.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
My belly is too big (once again ) but once it goes, I've got no problem with the drops on my road bike.
Old 10-07-19, 06:27 PM
thepartsguy
ole skool cyclist

Bikes: Gitane Sprint, Kinesis Touring bike, and 1994 SpecializedStumpJumper M2 FS with DH fork

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I was a road cyclist before getting my first mountain bike in 1996. Had been on drops since early 70s. I have less numbness riding hoods or drops on my road bike than I do on straight bars or bar ends on mtb. Had drops on my gravel bike for years too.
Old 10-08-19, 02:46 AM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by steelrider58
This is my current handlebar setup (having moved away from drop bars). The "poor man's VO Crazy Bar".

Wouldn't it be more comfortable to wrap those?
Likes For Ross520:
Old 10-08-19, 06:35 AM
steelrider58
NO LONGER A BF USER

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Ross520
Wouldn't it be more comfortable to wrap those?
Actually, I did! This photo shows the setup just before I put some Cinelli tape around the barends and the exposed parts of the handlebar. I can't do tape on the grip areas since I really see a huge comfort improvement using the ergonomic grips.
Old 10-08-19, 06:41 AM
steelrider58
NO LONGER A BF USER

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ab_antiquo
That front brake cable though...
Agreed... I've already re-routed the front brake below the handlebar. This is just the best photo I had to show the handlebar setup.
Old 10-08-19, 09:38 AM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by steelrider58
Actually, I did! This photo shows the setup just before I put some Cinelli tape around the barends and the exposed parts of the handlebar. I can't do tape on the grip areas since I really see a huge comfort improvement using the ergonomic grips.
Gotcha! Glad it's working for you.
Old 10-08-19, 10:09 AM
tgenec86
Rouleur

Bikes: Felt FC (SRAM Red), Nashbar Carbon (SRAM Red), Felt BR2 (SRAM Red), Salsa El Mariachi 29'er - solid steel, Peugeot PX-10 1972

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 63 Posts
Welcome to the Grand Illusion
Come on in and see what's happening
Pay the price, get your ticket for the show...

Thread going strong. Illusion? As has been shown - the variables are as numerous as there are riders. Position, riding style, body type & composition, flexibility, bike type and 50 shades of yellow jerseys all play a part.

And you may ask yourself
Am I right? Am I wrong?
And you may say to yourself
"My God! What have I done?"
Old 10-08-19, 10:20 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by tgenec86
Welcome to the Grand Illusion
Come on in and see what's happening
Pay the price, get your ticket for the show...

Thread going strong. Illusion? As has been shown - the variables are as numerous as there are riders. Position, riding style, body type & composition, flexibility, bike type and 50 shades of yellow jerseys all play a part.

And you may ask yourself
Am I right? Am I wrong?
And you may say to yourself
"My God! What have I done?"
Basically, "the average rider" is a theoretical construct that doesn't exist in nature. We all like what we like because reasons. Conversations where people tell other people what they should like are often entertaining, but only because the person doling out the "advice" is being funny, intentionally or otherwise.
Old 10-08-19, 11:09 AM
donhaller 

Bikes: GIANT TCR C1, Gary Fisher Aquila MTB, Custom Nishiki, TREK Antelope

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Before I lost 100lbs I couldn't comfortably use the drops. Many years later and a stronger fitter cyclist that doesn't have a belly in the way any longer I find myself using the drops way more than I did in the past. I can now use them to help in headwinds, and or just to change up my posture when I'm getting tired.
Likes For donhaller:
Old 10-09-19, 10:28 AM
GnipGnop
just having fun

Bikes: 1994 TiCycles Softride, 199X Cyclops Stealth Softride, 1999 Rocky Mountain Soul, 1973 Colnago Super

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
Before I got into road cycling but still rode a road bike, I switched out the drops to flat bars. Both my bikes were downtube shifters so I could do it easily. As I got more and more into road biking, I switched back to drops. I heard someone used to climb in the drops way back when, so I'll practice that every so often to expand my riding position options. Like others, belly fat is the biggest inhibitor to me using the drops. I love the feeling when I go into the drops and there's no fat in the way. Hopefully that doesn't last too long after winter this year.
Old 10-09-19, 10:52 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
The difference between riding your bike and driving your bike.
Old 10-09-19, 01:50 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by jadocs
The difference between riding your bike and driving your bike.
I'm not 100% sure what this is supposed to mean, but as someone who does a lot of road riding with flat bars and drop bars, I call BS. Both positions have their charms, and neither of them feels at all like driving.
Old 10-09-19, 04:20 PM
Namnad510

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'm almost always on the hoods. I think my issue is flexibility.
Old 10-11-19, 09:08 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Namnad510
I'm almost always on the hoods. I think my issue is flexibility.
I think if you're comfortable that way and enjoy your riding, it isn't an "issue."

I have one bike I'm almost always on the hoods and hooks and another I ride mainly on the drops. The geometry of the bikes is completely different, so it's all about comfort over long hours. You might ride the same bikes differently, neither of us is "wrong".
Old 10-11-19, 10:10 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 3,535 Times in 1,778 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I think if you're comfortable that way and enjoy your riding, it isn't an "issue."

I have one bike I'm almost always on the hoods and hooks and another I ride mainly on the drops. The geometry of the bikes is completely different, so it's all about comfort over long hours. You might ride the same bikes differently, neither of us is "wrong".
As long as you’re able to use all the positions, preferring one for most of the time is fine.

But if you never use the hooks, you won’t be able to access them when the conditions warrant.
Old 10-11-19, 11:38 AM
pakman3999

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honestly I just think they look much better, probably gonna try to swap out the flat bars on my commuter bike when I get the chance
Old 10-11-19, 01:04 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
As long as you’re able to use all the positions, preferring one for most of the time is fine.

But if you never use the hooks, you won’t be able to access them when the conditions warrant.
This. The drops felt weird when I first started riding, but the more I used them, the more comfortable I got. Now it just depends on what I'm doing, just cruising around, I'm on the hoods or the flats, if I'm descending or hammering it, I'm in the drops. Stayed in the drops pretty much the whole time during my gravel race last weekend.

Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 10-11-19, 01:53 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
This. The drops felt weird when I first started riding, but the more I used them, the more comfortable I got. Now it just depends on what I'm doing, just cruising around, I'm on the hoods or the flats, if I'm descending or hammering it, I'm in the drops. Stayed in the drops pretty much the whole time during my gravel race last weekend.
What you guys are missing is that hand position is intrinsically a YMMV thing. I use all positions, a lot. But I also know people who only ride the hoods because they're not doing any riding that demands much else, and they're very comfortable doing that. I'm not going to tell them they need to expand their repertoire for the sake of doing so. There's plenty of mountain biking techniques, for example, I'll never learn because I try to stay off any tough gravel as I hate riding it. Telling me I won't have those techniques when it's good to use them is rather besides the point.
Old 10-11-19, 04:00 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

What you guys are missing is that hand position is intrinsically a YMMV thing. I use all positions, a lot. But I also know people who only ride the hoods because they're not doing any riding that demands much else, and they're very comfortable doing that. I'm not going to tell them they need to expand their repertoire for the sake of doing so. There's plenty of mountain biking techniques, for example, I'll never learn because I try to stay off any tough gravel as I hate riding it. Telling me I won't have those techniques when it's good to use them is rather besides the point.
What you are missing is that any cyclist can find themselves in a situation that warrants the hands-on-hooks position.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 10-11-19, 06:40 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

What you are missing is that any cyclist can find themselves in a situation that warrants the hands-on-hooks position.
Safe to say that that statement is not unmeaningless. Any cyclist can also find themselves in a situation that warrants wearing a bulletproof vest.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-11-19, 06:43 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Safe to say that that statement is not unmeaningless. Any cyclist can also find themselves in a situation that warrants wearing a bulletproof vest.
Thank you for injecting absurd hyperbole into a serious discussion.

Old 10-11-19, 07:03 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Thank you for injecting absurd hyperbole into a serious discussion.
You're welcome. Thank you for your endless campaign telling other people how they should ride just like you.
Old 10-12-19, 12:26 PM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
Woe unto those who find themselves in that situation while riding their flat bar bikes.

Whoa I say!
Old 10-12-19, 12:29 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Thank you for your endless campaign telling other people how they should ride just like you.
"they should ride just like you" = further hyperbole.

My "campaign" is to encourage cyclist to learn and practice time-tested skills. Born from spending too much time in emergency rooms and urgent care centers getting under-skilled riders patched up.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 10-12-19, 03:55 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
"they should ride just like you" = further hyperbole.

My "campaign" is to encourage cyclist to learn and practice time-tested skills. Born from spending too much time in emergency rooms and urgent care centers getting under-skilled riders patched up.
What a saint., out there trying to save the world from itself.

This is Bike Forums, an internet discussion group where everyone just shares their opinion. People with campaigns become tedious pretty fast - just ask the VC and helmet advocates. FWIW, it does come off as you trying to tell everyone they should ride the way you do whenever others say people can ride the way they like.

A little mental extrapolation suggests you come from a road racing background in the past where there are some set rules but you don't seem to grasp that not everyone comes from that place or even has a desire for road racing at all. Throughout the thread you've talked about nth degree of control at nth degree of risk (paraphrasing) but many just slow down and don't push the limits of control at speed. When you do that almost all of your arguments fall flat.

I've worked as an EMT, Physical Rehab Assistant and in a cemetery burying people. Imagine the street cred that gives my opinions about safety, seeing it from every angle... but in the end it's just my opinion. YMMV and that's ok, considering the experience of cycling covers a vast range of styles and a vast number of enthusiasts.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 10-12-19 at 04:00 PM.
Likes For Happy Feet:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.