Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shmano Craziness and recall

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Shmano Craziness and recall

Old 11-05-12, 07:46 AM
scooterfrog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes they are honoring this. That's my implied craziness.
Old 11-05-12, 08:59 AM
LarDasse74

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Shimano may or may not have any obligation to replace the parts after 10 or 15 years (the recall was quite some time ago), but since the parts likely cost them $5 or less each to make, pluss the $20 a shop might charge them for installation, it is a whole lot easier than dealing with a lawsuit.

The shop has absolutely no obligation to exchange the cranks, and they have every right to weigh the pros and cons of the transaction and accept or refuse it based on the perceived value to them. Some shops might make the swap and give you some credit for the replacement cranks, but don't expect anything more than their cost for a similar replacement crank (~$15) - this is a replacement for a 10 year old $35 crankset, remeber.
Old 11-05-12, 11:54 AM
scooterfrog

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LarDasse74
Shimano may or may not have any obligation to replace the parts after 10 or 15 years (the recall was quite some time ago), but since the parts likely cost them $5 or less each to make, pluss the $20 a shop might charge them for installation, it is a whole lot easier than dealing with a lawsuit.

The shop has absolutely no obligation to exchange the cranks, and they have every right to weigh the pros and cons of the transaction and accept or refuse it based on the perceived value to them. Some shops might make the swap and give you some credit for the replacement cranks, but don't expect anything more than their cost for a similar replacement crank (~$15) - this is a replacement for a 10 year old $35 crankset, remeber.
agreed. the shop has no responsibility to me to do anything other than what shimano tells them they must do.
new crank
new bb
new chain
new fd
that's the kit according to shimano
install
Old 10-12-19, 01:13 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
New link location at the CPSC (since I was just searching for it -- the one given above is 404):

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/1997/CP...cle-Components

(Old thread, I know, but this is for reference.)
Likes For rseeker: