Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Future of Road Cycling

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The Future of Road Cycling

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-19, 10:24 AM
chainwhip

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 84 Posts
Re: "FooChee" Fairing

Originally Posted by wphamilton
I really like this one.
But of course! It has a fairing!! ;0p

For the record, I like it too.
There are multiple, admirable innovations.
The Spesh marketing/bad boy posing being the exceptions.

Old 10-14-19, 10:27 AM
chainwhip

Originally Posted by GuitarBob
I agree so far as the black one (more art than bike), but not the white one -- at least not completely. Sure, some artistic embellishments there, but looks like it would be functional for a flexible (really flexible) rider. Probably a fun exercise for the designer who has had to live by the UCI rules.
As for functional, I'd be v. curious to know the bike's weight as it is displayed...I'm guessing it's not 16 lbs.

Last edited by chainwhip; 10-14-19 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-14-19, 10:35 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
fUCI looks fun. With a few modifications for fit, I'd take that thing for a spin.

The other one is just...wow. I don't think I could ride that in an empty parking lot, let alone in traffic. It seems to me that a scaled-down single speed already has the minimalist design for 'urban' riding, with the benefit that it can keep up with traffic outside of rush hour. (Granted, it's art - but still, just weird.)
Old 10-14-19, 10:46 AM
chainwhip

Originally Posted by wipekitty
fUCI looks fun.

The other one is just...wow. I don't think I could ride that in an empty parking lot, let alone in traffic. It seems to me that a scaled-down single speed already has the minimalist design for 'urban' riding, with the benefit that it can keep up with traffic outside of rush hour. (Granted, it's art - but still, just weird.)
A train of thought on the urban bike:

Very limited leg length adjustment - thumbs down.
Direct drive! - urban bike? - thumbs up!!
Freewheeling option? - currently unavailable - thumbs down.
Super short wheelbase + No Freewheeling option...any downhill runs in your city? never mind. - thumbs down.
Likes For chainwhip:
Old 10-14-19, 01:25 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
You can buy a Cervelo P5x or a Ceepo today. Both are 99% visually similar (wild looking) to that fUCI bike and actually used in triathlon.
Old 10-14-19, 05:29 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by MSchott
Geez what a bunch of close minded fuddy duddy’s. They are concepts and more art than function. On purpose. There is a 100 plus year history in the auto business of concept cars with certain styling cues trickling down to production.
Little boy ('Master' Schott), your parents should have taught you it isn't polite to insult people just because they have interests that don't align yours.

eja_bottechia- I'm familiar with the museum and sarcasm. It seems you are only familiar with the museum thus your post as 'proof' the museum has 'worthy' autos, etc. There are some nice vehicles in there. But a picture of a modified '58 T-bird covered in black velvet does nothing for me now nor did it 'then'. Nor chopped and channeled 'hot rods' or hulks of rusty metal piled onto the floor to resemble a truck. Thanks for trying. That's laudable in of itself. (sarcasm)
Old 10-15-19, 08:42 AM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Boxkite
Little boy ('Master' Schott), your parents should have taught you it isn't polite to insult people just because they have interests that don't align yours.

eja_bottechia- I'm familiar with the museum and sarcasm. It seems you are only familiar with the museum thus your post as 'proof' the museum has 'worthy' autos, etc. There are some nice vehicles in there. But a picture of a modified '58 T-bird covered in black velvet does nothing for me now nor did it 'then'. Nor chopped and channeled 'hot rods' or hulks of rusty metal piled onto the floor to resemble a truck. Thanks for trying. That's laudable in of itself. (sarcasm)
Il try to be polite. The point is to get some perspective. Chill out.
Old 10-15-19, 09:41 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
"Shiny Hammer" and "Shelby's Super Snake"

There's a joke in there somewhere, but I'm not willing to get the infraction.
Old 10-15-19, 05:18 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I really like this one.
Which end is the front? Nice color selection.
Old 10-15-19, 06:34 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,171 Times in 1,462 Posts
Let’s stay respective of other members and their comments. This thread is entertaining so let’s keep it that way. Thanks
Old 10-15-19, 06:48 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,113 Times in 1,683 Posts
discounting the petersen automotive museum because of a handful of pics that do little to show the breadth and depth of the amassed collection is short-sighted at best.

have never done the vault tour and still kicking myself for missing a low-rider exhibition a few years back.

lots of gorgeous automobiles and i tend to prefer the muscle cars from the early 60's-mid 70's as a whole vs other groupings. that said, the automobile that
resonated with me the most was the '53 cadillac built for the aga khan as a gift for his wife, rita hayworth. only two in existence.
Old 10-15-19, 07:47 PM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Let’s stay respective of other members and their comments. This thread is entertaining so let’s keep it that way. Thanks
Will do. Sorry for getting snippy. I think these 2 bikes are cool and fun concepts.
Old 10-15-19, 08:18 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
A full carbon Pennyfarthing with gearing and brakes would be the coolest thing ever. Gearing so I can return home uphill, and brakes so I'll still be alive to return... Stop lights might be challenging but then I could bring a cane to lean against.