Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

BMC Warranty Experiences?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

BMC Warranty Experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-19, 08:50 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
FOLLOW UP: We are almost a month into this. (The wait is no big deal because, in the last 3 weeks, I've had two triathlons. I've spent the month almost exclusively on my TT bike.) I go pick up the bike tomorrow afternoon and, if everything is as it's supposed to be, I will be a happy customer. But my happiness is very much due to extra measures taken by my LBS.

With BMC, if you have an approved frame warranty claim, BMC sends your dealer a frameset out of their "warranty frame inventory." The "warranty frame inventory" consists of framesets that are officially designated for warranty replacements. Color choices are limited. If it had been left strictly to BMC, they would have sent me a 2018 frameset in black and silver -- the only color available in "warranty frame inventory" -- my least favorite color and certainly no substitute (in my eyes) for the Team Red of my original frameset.

My dealer intervened. He ordered a 2019 bike in my choice of color and is transferring my components to the new 2019 frameset. I'm not sure how he's going to even things up, but I'm very happy with his solution. (And he will be selling me a new gravel bike as a result.) A good LBS is a valuable thing.
Rough year for you in terms of bike frustration. A crazy expensive road bike frame breaks, it takes a month to resolve. An expensive gravel bike disappoints and frustrates you to the point of getting a new one.
Hopefully 2020 brings you less bike headaches.
Old 10-15-19, 09:07 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Rough year for you in terms of bike frustration. A crazy expensive road bike frame breaks, it takes a month to resolve. An expensive gravel bike disappoints and frustrates you to the point of getting a new one.
Hopefully 2020 brings you less bike headaches.
A thread from the crypt. Those stories are both over a year old. You were apparently more frustrated by my 2018 experiences than I was. Thanks for caring so much. (Do we have a problem with other people having nice bikes, mstateglfr?)

If you read the whole thread -- a month to replace my frame by upgrading to the next year's model wasn't a problem at all. I was racing my TT bike during that month and wouldn't have ridden the road bike anyway. If I had needed the road bike, we would have handled it differently. I was well satisfied with how my LBS handled the warranty issue.

And yes, the Trek frameset was a real disappointment. My fault for buying one before I had a chance to ride it. But I came out fine on it.
Old 10-15-19, 11:09 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
A thread from the crypt. Those stories are both over a year old. You were apparently more frustrated by my 2018 experiences than I was. Thanks for caring so much. (Do we have a problem with other people having nice bikes, mstateglfr?)

If you read the whole thread -- a month to replace my frame by upgrading to the next year's model wasn't a problem at all. I was racing my TT bike during that month and wouldn't have ridden the road bike anyway. If I had needed the road bike, we would have handled it differently. I was well satisfied with how my LBS handled the warranty issue.

And yes, the Trek frameset was a real disappointment. My fault for buying one before I had a chance to ride it. But I came out fine on it.
Great customer service = client that will buy again. It's a simple equation, and it works. Glad to read that manufacturers still care about their customers.
Old 10-15-19, 01:15 PM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Noctilux.95
Being Swiss, they are very neutral
Yes, but they also own automatic weapons.
And knives!!

Last edited by teejaywhy; 10-15-19 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-15-19, 06:08 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts

Woah, pump the brakes on the suggested accusation.

I saw the follow up post was from september and the thread is active in october so I thought it was a current year's thread. My apology for missing the year.

No 'we' dont have a problem with others having nice bikes. That's absurd to suggest. Most people go a lifetime of cycling without warranty/frame issues and I thought you had 2 in the same year, so I commented since that's a run of rough luck.

Even 2 in 2 years I imagine is annoying, but you made out well in both situations so that certainly has to help reduce the frustration.
Old 06-03-21, 03:38 AM
bmcnair5790

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
I tried to warranty a cracked proprietary seat post that had failed from normal torque and couldn't even get a crash replacement price from BMC.
I just had the same issue... so you didn't have any luck?
Old 06-03-21, 07:37 AM
ARPRINCE

Bikes: 2021 Tern Verge X11 + Cannondale 2016 CAAD12 eTap + 2011 Synapse Alloy 5 Ultegra

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by bmcnair5790
I just had the same issue... so you didn't have any luck?
You will have better luck if you "Bring More Cash"!
Old 06-03-21, 09:46 AM
Doomrider74

Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
I bought a BMC Teammachine ALR TWO a few months ago and ended up taking it back because the seatpost kept on slipping (yes, the fancy clamp is a crap design): the store said it would be a warranty replacement of the seatpost. As I'd only had the bike less than 2 weeks I was within the store's return policy so I told them I'd lost faith in the design and wanted to return it for a refund, which they duly obliged. I took the money and walked 75m up the street and bought a Spesh Tarmac and have been very happy with it.

Moral of the story? The BMC seatpost design is crap, but to put a positive spin on it: The store said BMC were willing to warranty the seatpost, which suggests their warranty department isn't full of Scrooge McDucks.

Last edited by Doomrider74; 06-03-21 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-03-21, 05:13 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by Doomrider74
I bought a BMC Teammachine ALR TWO a few months ago and ended up taking it back because the seatpost kept on slipping (yes, the fancy clamp is a crap design): the store said it would be a warranty replacement of the seatpost. As I'd only had the bike less than 2 weeks I was within the store's return policy so I told them I'd lost faith in the design and wanted to return it for a refund, which they duly obliged. I took the money and walked 75m up the street and bought a Spesh Tarmac and have been very happy with it.

Moral of the story? The BMC seatpost design is crap, but to put a positive spin on it: The store said BMC were willing to warranty the seatpost, which suggests their warranty department isn't full of Scrooge McDucks.
Just curious, but how does a new seatpost help fix a bad seatpost clamp?
Old 06-03-21, 05:23 PM
Doomrider74

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Just curious, but how does a new seatpost help fix a bad seatpost clamp?
Following consultation with BMC, the store established that the rough, textured pattern that was on the clamp side of the seatpost had worn off and therefore there wasn't sufficient friction to hold the seatpost in place when clamped. Their idea was to replace the seatpost with the correctly textured surface that would then be able to stay in place when clamped. My argument was if that is all it takes for the system to fail then count me out.

It may have been complete BS, but their conclusions were enough for me to take the out when offered.

Whilst I was waiting for my refund to be processed, I had a chat with the guy in the store and he said they had a few returned like that, although they think the issue mainly lies with the alu frames, rather than the carbon ones.
Old 06-09-21, 04:05 AM
bmcnair5790

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi guys, just a quick update. BMC has decided to warranty my seat post that was damaged by the poor designed seat clamp. IM actually shocked they said they would replace it.
Old 06-09-21, 05:18 AM
GBK233

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced 2, 2020 Giant Contend AR1

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by chainwhip
Flash-
If things don't proceed to your liking, perhaps a link to this thread sent to BMC's Director of Social Media might be useful.
Agreed. Companies def monitor their social media mentions. The key is to identify the issue and be polite about it. Posting “(insert company here) sucks…and they are trying to screw me” isn’t the way to go.
Old 06-09-21, 08:32 AM
Doomrider74

Originally Posted by bmcnair5790
Hi guys, just a quick update. BMC has decided to warranty my seat post that was damaged by the poor designed seat clamp. IM actually shocked they said they would replace it.
Same thing happened to me. Glad to hear they are consistent and you'll get sorted out.
Likes For Doomrider74: