Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

da Vinci Grand Junction

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

da Vinci Grand Junction

Old 06-29-16, 12:52 PM
jethro00

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts
da Vinci Grand Junction

We would appreciate hearing reports from people who have owned a Grand Junction.

We have a separate thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/tandem-cyc...l#post18869616
about whether we should buy a new tandem, and if so, which one. The purpose of this thread is solely to seek input about what people like or do not like about their Grand Junction (or the ICS feature of da Vinci tandems).

Thanks.

Last edited by jethro00; 06-29-16 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-30-16, 08:07 PM
2gether84

Bikes: 1999 Cannondale RT3000, Trek T-900, Trek 5200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have read your other thread that explains where you are, both geographically as well as your tandem journey. Our first tandem was a used Trek T900. We now have a used daVinci Joint Venture, so while the model is different, it has the same ICS.

We love ICS. It's great for city traffic. My stoker will coast when doing tight maneuvers and I can apply the amount of thrust that I need until we have cleared the obstacle. ICS is also great when she needs a butt break and I don't...or visa-versa.

We recently had to put our daVinci in the shop. It's 15 yrs old and needed the shifters rebuilt, among other things. We had to go back to riding a regular tandem and we didn't like it at all at first. We have adjusted back to it, but we are really looking forward to getting our daVinci back from the shop. We really do miss the ICS.

On a vacation to Colorado we stopped by the daVinci shop. The are very nice people...the kind you enjoy doing business with. In your other thread someone suggested going to Houston where House Of Tandems is located. We have met Ric and Sheila. Ric is super knowledgeable and dedicated to getting people the right bike that fits their needs. I have never bought a tandem from Ric, but since he is a daVinci dealer, I have bought parts from him. He is about as nice as they come.

If you are considering a new daVinci, I think it would be well worth the 6 hour drive to Houston to House Of Tandems.

You could also consider a used daVinci. We bought ours used and it came with 26 inch wheels. We later converted it to 700s, but I have seen a few used daVinci's with 26 inch wheels on the used market.

If I can answer any additional questions, please feel free to ask.

House of Tandems Spring Texas Houston. Paketa Da Vinci - Santana - Co Motion - DraftMaster - BP MS150 - tandems -Tandem bike rentals

Tandem Club of America | Browse Ads
Old 07-28-16, 09:01 PM
jethro00

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to post. We bought a new red da Vinci Grand Junction. Marcia and Ric at House of Tandems near Houston dropped one off to us and fitted it for us during their trip to New Orleans. Marcia and Ric are GREAT!!! They answered all of our questions and helped us pick components. We replaced the 26 x 1.25 tires with 26 x 1.95 (due to our potholes), but kept the 26 x 1.25 (which fit on the same rims) for when we ride on smooth paths. We replaced the drop handlebars with 3" inch rise bars in front and 5" rise bars in back. We installed a Thudbuster suspension post in the back and a 2-piece kickstand that raises the rear wheel. We kept the narrow seats and will see if we adjust to them. We are used to comfort seats. We ordered a Topeak Supertourist DX Tubular Rack and, of course, a bell. We have had 2 rides so far. Woohoo! We are working on adjusting to the ICS after almost 30 years of riding tandems without it.
Old 09-06-19, 01:08 PM
Tobo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
26” Conversion to 700c

Hi 2gather84,

as a a new user I could not contact you directly. I will be buying a circa 2008 Grand Junction with 26” rims and think I would like to convert to 700c as our riding will all be on smooth flat streets in Naples Florida.

Is the conversion a difficult process and could it be done by our local pro cycling shop? Any estimate of what the cost may be?

thank you,
tom boerio
Old 09-06-19, 04:52 PM
Alan_F

Bikes: DaVinci Joint Venture Ti S&S, DaVinci Symbiosis 27.5", Trek Emonda SLR 7, Motobecane Century Ti ETap AXS, Motobecane Fantom Ti hardtail, Diamondback Haanjo Carbon, Motobecane Fantom 4x4 29'er, SE F@R fatbike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I'm guessing that a 2008 Grand Junction was not set up for dual disc brakes. If that is the case, then it probably isn't practical to convert to 700c. With rim brakes the cantilever mounting studs will be at the wrong height for the larger rims. If you have a rear disc you would need to add a new 700c fork to the cost of the conversion. If you have rim brakes front & rear then you need to have the rear canti studs relocated (if that's even possible on that frame) and the frame repainted, making it probably much more cost effective to just get a different bike.

Our first DaVinci (of 4 so far) was a 26" Joint Venture with dual discs that we converted to 700c. If you have dual disc brakes there is no cost to the conversion other than the wheels.
Old 09-06-19, 05:33 PM
Tobo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Conversion

Originally Posted by Alan_F
I'm guessing that a 2008 Grand Junction was not set up for dual disc brakes. If that is the case, then it probably isn't practical to convert to 700c. With rim brakes the cantilever mounting studs will be at the wrong height for the larger rims. If you have a rear disc you would need to add a new 700c fork to the cost of the conversion. If you have rim brakes front & rear then you need to have the rear canti studs relocated (if that's even possible on that frame) and the frame repainted, making it probably much more cost effective to just get a different bike.

Our first DaVinci (of 4 so far) was a 26" Joint Venture with dual discs that we converted to 700c. If you have dual disc brakes there is no cost to the conversion other than the wheels.

Hi Alan_F,

Thanks for your reply. I’m not positive but I think the 2008 Grand Junction does have front and rear disc brakes so it looks like I’m in luck. I didn’t know that the frame would accommodate 700c wheels without other changes.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 09-07-19, 04:53 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
The people that I know who have used ICS all love it- have never seen the need myself.
Old 09-08-19, 07:10 AM
Joint Venture

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I highly recommend both da Vinci and the ICS system. We pedaled a regular drivetrain for our first 9 years of tandem riding and independently the last 20. No going back for us! It really is a zero-risk proposition as Todd can lock out the ICS feature for you if you don’t like it.

I can’t speak to the Grand Junction specifically, but we’re now on our second Joint Venture. We chose 26” wheels again for our second da Vinci, even though we’ve owned a number of 700c tandems (some converted to independent pedaling with ATP or Lasco IPS cranksets) and all my half-bikes are 700c. 26” wheels give you a wide range of tire options. By the looks of our bike, if you put 700c wheels on a 26” wheel frame, you might only be able to fit 28-32mm tires. We run 1.5” (38mm) 26” tires as an all around tire. Next set, we’ll probably go 42mm and there will still be tons of clearance... and room for fenders too! I’d go even wider for gravel or the C&O trail.
Old 09-11-19, 02:15 PM
Ludkeh
alpine cross trainer

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Quintara Roo Sendoza, DaVici In-2-Ition Tandem,

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
I can't add much to the conversation, but we have a da Vinci Designs In-2-ition Road. Had it customized thru Tandems East. Great people and wonderful service. We've been riding it for around 7 years. Love the ICS System and would never go back. With a combined age of 142 years and becoming seriously ill a few years age our riding became limited. I proceeded to add a 500 watt FRONT hub motor along with a 48 volt lithium ion battery to our da Vinci.

What a sweet ride it is!!!! We truly enjoy our rides thru hilly Central New York. Hills are no longer a death march. The combination of the da Vinci's wide range of gearing and the hub motors three power ranges, we can tackle most situations. Our range using the motor judiciously with moderately hilly terrain as around 40 miles.