Notices
Mid-Atlantic Pennsylvania | Maryland | DC | Delaware | West Virginia | Virginia

Philadelphia Bike Expo

Old 10-25-18, 08:31 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
Philadelphia Bike Expo

Is anyone going to the Philadelphia Bike Expo this weekend?
Old 10-25-18, 09:03 AM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
I was going to, but life came up. Such is life.
Old 10-26-18, 05:51 AM
Chris(NJ)

Bikes: Aethos (inbound), Pivot LES -XX1, Ibis Hakka -Force1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Considering the weekend will be a washout, I'll probably go.
Old 10-26-18, 01:54 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
Overall, I find it not worth it, and I can ride there in less than 10 min. A LBS used to give out free tickets if you showed up on Sunday riding a Surly. Those were the only times I went. If you do go, check out the Engin display. Drew & Co. usually have some neat things going on. Last time I went he had a 1x that he had built for a guy who was going to use it solely for commuting. You know you have arrived when you can spring for a custom ti frame solely for commuting.
Old 10-29-18, 11:21 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
I went with my wife on Saturday and we enjoyed it. I am surprised that more of you didn't respond that you were going. Perhaps you went but didn't say anything. I don't blame you. I may not have said anything either. Anyway, it was a good opportunity to see about 10 or more custom frame builders, and all sorts of good bike related stuff.

However, while I was enjoying the show, I didn't take pictures. Sorry.

I would definitely go next year. In fact, the bikes at the valet parking are pretty interesting too. I might want to volunteer for bike parking one day and see the show the next.

We'll see.
Old 10-29-18, 11:40 AM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Overall, I find it not worth it, and I can ride there in less than 10 min. A LBS used to give out free tickets if you showed up on Sunday riding a Surly. Those were the only times I went. If you do go, check out the Engin display. Drew & Co. usually have some neat things going on. Last time I went he had a 1x that he had built for a guy who was going to use it solely for commuting. You know you have arrived when you can spring for a custom ti frame solely for commuting.
Trophybikes doesn't offer free tickets to Brompton & Surly riders anymore? Too bad.
Didn't mind paying for the train/bus ride from NYC; Mike usually met us by the station.
And give us a short tour to the expo. One time taking us thru one tunnel; not sure if we
were supposed to be riding down there.

Brompton Ride to 2014 Philly Bike Expo by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Old 10-29-18, 12:18 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
Trophybikes doesn't offer free tickets to Brompton & Surly riders anymore? Too bad.
If it did it didn't advertise it on the Philly Bike Club email list. At least not that I saw.
Old 10-29-18, 12:52 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
If it did it didn't advertise it on the Philly Bike Club email list. At least not that I saw.
Just went on Trophy's Facebook page. Seems like they still giving free tickets on Saturdays to anyone on a Brompton.
And from what I understand from their posting; anybody that shows up on any bike on Sunday.
https://www.facebook.com/trophybikes/
1) On Saturday morning, we host a Brompton-only ride, the BROMPTON BREAKFAST ROLL. Meets 8:45 a.m. at the central info booth inside Amtrak 30th Street Station Philadelphia. We'll bop around some of Philly's most interesting streets, then end up at the Philly Bike Expo around opening time–includes FREE admission and valet bike parking. 2) On Sunday morning, we host PHILLY BUMP! Meets 8:45 a.m. at Trophy Bikes, rolls at 9 sharp – along the most historic, crumbling brick and cobble streets we could find. ALSO ends up at the Expo and you get in free, including valet parking for what's left of your bike, ha! 3) NOON both days, EARTH VS. THE BIKE THIEVES... our fast-paced bike theft countermeasures show, in the center of the Expo floor. FREE with your expo admission; you might win a Krypto lock at the end! • • • Note that Sunday's weather report is great, and sprinkles only forecast on Saturday. BOTH RIDES ARE RAIN OR SHINE.
Old 11-05-18, 07:26 PM
NJgreyhead

Bikes: Frequently

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 129 Posts
I didn't realize this thread was here. I started a related one over in Regional Rides and Events. Oh well.

Had another real good time at the Expo. Met friends and got introduced to some good people with whom I talked bikes and saddles, saw Bilenky and Richard Sachs, talked with, but mostly listened to, Joe Breeze, custom frame-builders Hollingsworth and the guy from Crust. No FB with his Chain-L, tho.

Bought some Lezyne lighting at a discount. Got to demo-ride two e-bikes, and now appreciate their appeal. Even took a spill on one while turning on the sealed concrete floor. Old guy down!

A real gathering of the tribe. Already looking forward to next year.

Last edited by NJgreyhead; 11-06-18 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-13-19, 09:03 AM
Dave L

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saw an ad for the Expo at the local bike shop the other day. Unfortunately for those that don't know where in Philly the Expo was there was no address. Sure wish they had the address for us newbies.

Thanks.
Old 10-14-19, 04:58 AM
NJgreyhead

Bikes: Frequently

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 129 Posts
The PBE is held at the PA Convention Center. Use the entrance on Broad St just above Arch.
Old 10-14-19, 05:16 AM
Dave L

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NJgreyhead
The PBE is held at the PA Convention Center. Use the entrance on Broad St just above Arch.
Thanks. I wish that info was on the poster that it was at the PA Convention Center.

Dave
Old 10-14-19, 12:30 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Dave L
Thanks. I wish that info was on the poster that it was at the PA Convention Center.

Dave
https://phillybikeexpo.com/
Old 10-14-19, 05:06 PM
Dave L

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunately that wasn't the poster in the shop. The one you showed was excellent. Thank you. I wish I had seen this one in time.

Dave
Old 10-18-19, 07:37 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave L
Unfortunately that wasn't the poster in the shop. The one you showed was excellent. Thank you. I wish I had seen this one in time.

Dave
I'm a bit confused. "Thank you. I wish I had seen this one in time." ??? The expo is November 2nd and 3rd.
Old 10-19-19, 05:53 AM
Dave L

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
I'm a bit confused. "Thank you. I wish I had seen this one in time." ??? The expo is November 2nd and 3rd.
Sorry, poor choice of words. Allowed another event to get in the way for Saturday, my preferred day to attend. I am planning to make Sunday, if all goes well.

Thanks,
Dave