Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Royal Enfield Grand Prix aero

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-19, 11:10 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Royal Enfield Grand Prix aero

Catalog scan from velobase, tange cr-mo frame, suntour ARX front and rear

Cl ad

There's breathless praise for this bike from a brand with virtually no presence. Is this a scam?
Praise: here for sale again not far from there. What's going on here, unscrupulous dealer?
Old 09-12-19, 09:26 AM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Obviously Royal Enfield has a very rich history, but as the last advertisement you link to states, by the 1980s these bicycles were mostly being manufactured in Asian factories. The motorcycles have been built in India for decades now, as well.

It's a cool looking bike and I can't imagine anything wrong with it as far as initial quality is concerned! But no, it's not really anything special.
Old 09-12-19, 11:40 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Maybe the buyer didn't realize it was tubular wheelset? By this time, most club racers were high performance 700C wired-on. It's a lower mid-range non-aero frame with entry level components, with the exception of the wheelset. I can appreciate why these wouldn't be popular. If you take a look at it, I'd appreciate the serial number for my database. TIA.
Old 09-12-19, 12:17 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

It bothers me that the tubing isn't better defined. If there's no decal, assume straight gauge cr-mo, right? The bicycle weight listed in the catalog is suspect then; 21 lbs! I have a 1995 trek 5200 with a claimed (and perceived) weight of 19.something pounds.

The bike is still for sale! Probably because the seller is located far enough outside a metro area that only folks like us are bothering with it. This might be an ideal buy for me, because I'm looking for a light-er weight steel lugged rider that's not available in my Schwinn saturated city (they seem to sit forever!) for the looks and ride, but if I save up to try out a fixed/SS rear wheel, I wouldn't be wracked with guilt for stripping the frame down to do it.

The levers look like they've been replaced, drivetrain looks original ARX F and R with alloy downtube levers. Wheels and tires might be original. The bicycle may actually be the same one in the blog post, because the sticker is in the same place and the top tube seems to have the same scrapes/dings.
Old 09-12-19, 12:24 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Here's the question:
This is essentially a badged contract bike apparently built in Japan, with a Suntour ARX drivetrain and assumed Tange straight gauge Cr-Mo tubing throughout, with good original paint (one step above fair for me, below excellent and mint). Are there comparable brands or 'brands' that would provide a comparison point? I'm considering an offer between $100 and $150, because this bike may not actually be rare, and it could have hundreds of kin in various paints and badging, identical to it.
Old 09-12-19, 03:18 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I don't think you're going to find anything spec'd quite like this. It's a strange beast. With the top mount levers and fastback seat stays, it resembles a Tsunoda manufactured Lotus Classique from the same era but with slightly racier geometry and a lower grade tubeset. I'd assume it's plain gauge Tange #5 given that butting isn't mentioned. For a club racer from this era, I would have expected butted trerubi Cr-Mo or butted C-Mn. If those really are tubular wheels, as mentioned in the specs, that would drop the weight by about 1.5 lbs over the equivalent wired-on wheelset. However, the 21.8 lb claimed weight does sound too light, even for the smallest, 21" frame. I'd say it's a sub $200 bicycle, though I would go as low as $100.
Old 09-12-19, 03:26 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Originally Posted by T-Mar
I don't think you're going to find anything spec'd quite like this. It's a strange beast. With the top mount levers and fastback seat stays, it resembles a Tsunoda manufactured Lotus Classique from the same era but with slightly racier geometry and a lower grade tubeset. I'd assume it's plain gauge Tange #5 given that butting isn't mentioned. For a club racer from this era, I would have expected butted trerubi Cr-Mo or butted C-Mn. If those really are tubular wheels, as mentioned in the specs, that would drop the weight by about 1.5 lbs over the equivalent wired-on wheelset. However, the 21.8 lb claimed weight does sound too light, even for the smallest, 21" frame. I'd say it's a sub $200 bicycle, though I would go as low as $100.
I need some negotiating room! Looking at the parts, it has the Aero gran compe calipers, but potentially more modern levers. The paint has some marring. I don't think a $125-150 offer is out of the realm of ordinary, unless this seller bought it without researching it, and is trying to recover. It's a lost cause at that point, unless the guy is a supply chain/inventory manager and understands sunk cost. I should find out if the wife approves first, I won't be able to sneak away that long and return with another bike and remain in her good graces.