Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Raleigh to fixed gear

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Raleigh to fixed gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-19, 01:00 PM
roadbikeChris

Bikes: Fuji Tahoe, Schwinn Sierra

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Raleigh to fixed gear

Stripping down a rusty, weathered old Raleigh Pursuit with the goal of creating a fixed gear/single speed. Needs tires and to have brakes re-routed and installed. I am wondering how big a headache I am getting myself into? I have done some reading up on the process. I am a real newbie so direction to other sites or posts is appreciated. It seems much of this will require a tech....any help appreciated!

Last edited by roadbikeChris; 09-18-19 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-18-19, 01:30 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Projects like this can take a number of directions depending upon how much work you want to put into it. If you want to, you can use the existing rear wheel but if you want to go with the option of switching from fixed to freewheel, then you will want a flip-flop hub.

I ride a Miyata conversion. It is absolutely wonderful. I have zero issues with chainline, chain taughtness or anything. It is full-time fixed, no freewheel at all. When I want to ride SS with a freewheel I have two other bikes for that. If the wife said I had to narrow down my herd to two bikes, the Miyata would be one of them. If she said one it might be a close call.

Go visit Sheldon Brown's site. He gives advice on converting a geared bike to fixed. He also has a handy gear calculator. Check out his "gain ratio" calculator too where he takes into account other variables.

https://sheldonbrown.com/fixed-conversion.html

Good luck.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 09-18-19, 04:02 PM
roadbikeChris

Originally Posted by TugaDude
Projects like this can take a number of directions depending upon how much work you want to put into it. If you want to, you can use the existing rear wheel but if you want to go with the option of switching from fixed to freewheel, then you will want a flip-flop hub.

I ride a Miyata conversion. It is absolutely wonderful. I have zero issues with chainline, chain taughtness or anything. It is full-time fixed, no freewheel at all. When I want to ride SS with a freewheel I have two other bikes for that. If the wife said I had to narrow down my herd to two bikes, the Miyata would be one of them. If she said one it might be a close call.

Go visit Sheldon Brown's site. He gives advice on converting a geared bike to fixed. He also has a handy gear calculator. Check out his "gain ratio" calculator too where he takes into account other variables.

https://sheldonbrown.com/fixed-conversion.html

Good luck.
Thank you!!!
Old 09-19-19, 06:40 AM
acir71

Bikes: Mongoose Maurice FS 2011 fixed gear, custom 2017 Haro Master Flatland bmx, Contrast FL475 mid school flatland bmx

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
GCN & RJ thebikeguy posted vids on the topic, chk it out on youtube! I kinda enjoy listening to them
Old 09-20-19, 10:07 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Well, since it looks like someone already cut off the derailleur hangar...

I actually have a steel Raleigh that I run fixed. Works great. The bars and brakes are just regular road bike stuff. Even the crank arms are original, I just swapped in a 1/8" chainring. I actually ran one of the original rings for a long time, but the wider ring is quieter with 1/8" chain. Of course, I have been working on bikes for years and have plenty of tools so you may need to pick up a few tools and watch some YouTube.

On the older bikes with semi-horizontal dropouts, all you REALLY need to run fixed is a new rear wheel and to remove all the shifty parts. The other parts swaps after that are more about optimizing and upgrading.

BTW, it may be the angle of the photo, but is your fork bent?
Old 09-20-19, 11:08 AM
roadbikeChris

Originally Posted by Caliper

I actually have a steel Raleigh that I run fixed. Works great. The bars and brakes are just regular road bike stuff. Even the crank arms are original, I just swapped in a 1/8" chainring. I actually ran one of the original rings for a long time, but the wider ring is quieter with 1/8" chain. Of course, I have been working on bikes for years and have plenty of tools so you may need to pick up a few tools and watch some YouTube.

On the older bikes with semi-horizontal dropouts, all you REALLY need to run fixed is a new rear wheel and to remove all the shifty parts. The other parts swaps after that are more about optimizing and upgrading.

BTW, it may be the angle of the photo, but is your fork bent?
I think the fork is OK. I am wondering if I can keep the chainring and swap in a new gear on the rear hub? I want to do this baby cheap but I am a little lacking in expertise and tools. I have all the original equipment in a bag, though the chain was rust-welded in a distorted mess. Even on the cheap I can see this getting a little pricey!

Old 09-22-19, 07:01 AM
Caliper

Originally Posted by roadbikeChris
I think the fork is OK. I am wondering if I can keep the chainring and swap in a new gear on the rear hub? I want to do this baby cheap but I am a little lacking in expertise and tools. I have all the original equipment in a bag, though the chain was rust-welded in a distorted mess. Even on the cheap I can see this getting a little pricey!
So, with that hub you'll only be able to run single speed, not fixed. Fixed requires a lock ring that is reverse threaded so a new hub.

Not sure about the chainring. It's possible, but we would have to see the back side and how they attach.

The original handlebars, brakes and brake levers will work 100% as long as they aren't broken. 99% chance you will want new brake pads though!

You may be able to get by with a set of sockets and allen wrenches. Reusing that wheel would require a freewheel remover though.
Honestly, if lowest price is a priority, Bikes Direct may end up cheaper. It wouldn't have the same style and you would learn some mechanical skills converting this one but in fairness, keep BD as a price point when you start adding up everything.
Old 09-22-19, 09:28 AM
roadbikeChris

So, with that hub you'll only be able to run single speed, not fixed. Fixed requires a lock ring that is reverse threaded so a new hub.

Not sure about the chainring. It's possible, but we would have to see the back side and how they attach.

The original handlebars, brakes and brake levers will work 100% as long as they aren't broken. 99% chance you will want new brake pads though!

You may be able to get by with a set of sockets and allen wrenches. Reusing that wheel would require a freewheel remover though.
Honestly, if lowest price is a priority, Bikes Direct may end up cheaper. It wouldn't have the same style and you would learn some mechanical skills converting this one but in fairness, keep BD as a price point when you start adding up everything.
I have read that its best to get a track bike replacement for the back wheel. I just don't know how to go about figuring out what to get!

Last edited by roadbikeChris; 09-22-19 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-22-19, 08:01 PM
Caliper

I have read that its best to get a track bike replacement for the back wheel. I just don't know how to go about figuring out what to get!
If you want to run fixed, yes. A track wheel has two opposing threads on it. The cog threads on with right hand threads and then a lockring on top of that using left hand threads. This way, if the cog starts to loosen while the rider pushes back on the pedals, it will tighten the lockring and keep the cog from falling off.

The wheel on that bike just has one set of threads. Because there is a freewheel, there is never any reverse torque to unscrew it. You could run a single speed freewheel on the bike safely.

Unfortunately, those chainrings look riveted on. It's not uncommon on older entry level bikes. It also means you can't really change the chainrings.

So, absolute cheapest option is to have a 3/32 singlespeed freewheel installed on the back and put on a 3/32 chain. Just use the existing chainrings and ignore that there's an extra one... it's a bit weird but it gets you to a singlespeed.

To get to fixed gear you will need a new rear wheel. You might look around on CL or FB marketplace and see if someone is selling one. The other issue here is that your bike will likely have 27" rims. Anything modern will use 700c rims that are about 4mm smaller in radius. If your brake calipers have room to move the pads down then that's fine. If not... new calipers also. Used calipers off Ebay can be quite affordable

TBH, none of this is hard to do, unless it's all new to you... are there any local bike clubs near you? I'm kinda across the state, south of Flint...
Old 09-22-19, 08:25 PM
roadbikeChris

Thanks for all the information, very helpful!! And yes I am brand new to this. Haven't looked into a bike club yet...
Old 09-22-19, 10:36 PM
ceelint
^that guy^

Bikes: '17 Wabi Classic, '17 Trek DS3, '12 S-Works Tarmac SL

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 51 Posts
Velomine.com sells single 27" rear wheels with track hub.. might wanna look into it
Old 09-24-19, 01:20 PM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Even on the cheap I can see this getting a little pricey!
Guess we're not in 2006 any more, hmmm? You did say you want fixed gear, right? Did all the conversion experts here telling you its impossible without a new wheel or hub forget about the good old Suicide Hub method? Look it up - by far the absolute cheapest way to convert an old freewheel hub bike to fixed.

Have fun & good luck...
Old 09-24-19, 01:47 PM
roadbikeChris

Originally Posted by IAmSam
Guess we're not in 2006 any more, hmmm? You did say you want fixed gear, right? Did all the conversion experts here telling you its impossible without a new wheel or hub forget about the good old Suicide Hub method? Look it up - by far the absolute cheapest way to convert an old freewheel hub bike to fixed.

Have fun & good luck...
How about a synopsis right here that pertains directly to the bike in question? : ) Please???? Like explained so that a child could understand it...maybe even pictures!

Last edited by roadbikeChris; 09-24-19 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-24-19, 02:05 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
How about a synopsis right here that pertains directly to the bike in question? : ) Please???? Like explained so that a child could understand it...maybe even pictures!
Earlier, Tugadude cited the late, much-missed Sheldon Brown's very helpful, illustrated and handy synopsis. That would be <https://sheldonbrown.com/fixed-conversion.html>, which is probably the UR-site for fixed-conversions and could be considered ground-zero for the whole fixed-gear boom earlier this century. Sheldon's writings launched who knows how many fixed conversions - and it's still good and relevant information to this day. There is a passage on using conventional freewheel hubs by redishing the wheel and simply threading on a fixed cog that explains the process nicely. Good luck and Godspeed.

Though, it must be noted - the Gitane Track Standard you also have blows this out of the water. Were I in your shoes, I would convert this one as quickly and cheaply as possible, because the Gitane is soooo vastly superior.
Old 09-24-19, 02:14 PM
roadbikeChris

Originally Posted by rustystrings61
Earlier, Tugadude cited the late, much-missed Sheldon Brown's very helpful, illustrated and handy synopsis. That would be <https://sheldonbrown.com/fixed-conversion.html>, which is probably the UR-site for fixed-conversions and could be considered ground-zero for the whole fixed-gear boom earlier this century. Sheldon's writings launched who knows how many fixed conversions - and it's still good and relevant information to this day. There is a passage on using conventional freewheel hubs by redishing the wheel and simply threading on a fixed cog that explains the process nicely. Good luck and Godspeed.

Though, it must be noted - the Gitane Track Standard you also have blows this out of the water. Were I in your shoes, I would convert this one as quickly and cheaply as possible, because the Gitane is soooo vastly superior.
Yes the Gitane is more of a long-term project. Needs clear coat, new tires and tubes, new handlebars and the lower end and stem set re-installed. The Raleigh is the quintessential low cost build. Still it needs just about everything too. lol I will check out the link I am just a baby when it comes to knowledge here.
Old 09-24-19, 03:58 PM
roadbikeChris

Decided to scrap the Raleigh. I have the Gitane project track bike, the Nashbar road bike and I am picking up a Guaranty Quality Supreme 3 speed for a $20. I will be all set especially with apartment living. I hate to throw it out but what can I do?

Last edited by roadbikeChris; 09-24-19 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-24-19, 09:37 PM
shmuelyosef

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
That's too bad...I like to keep the option open. The DR hanger doesn't really get in the way or weigh much
Old 09-25-19, 06:00 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 989 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by shmuelyosef
That's too bad...I like to keep the option open. The DR hanger doesn't really get in the way or weigh much
The Raleigh Pursuit is a mid level bottom of the ranks for Raleigh, it never had a derailleur hanger.
This is an easy conversion to Single speed and would be a fun bike.
First thing, remove the freewheel from the hub then

Center the axle in the hub
1, remove the outer locknuts from both sides of the axle
2, loosen the cones from both sides and remove the bearings
3, clean and inspect bearings and races and replace while centering the axle in the hub.
4. replace the spacers making sure they are the same on both sides.
5. snug up the bearing cone lock nuts making sure the wheel spins smoothly.

Recenter the wheel
1. Put the wheel with the centered axle in the bike and snug the wheel nuts or QR skewers.
2. use the brakes as a gauge to center the rim in the frame by loosening the spoke nipples on the side closest to the frame and tighten the spoke nipples

install a single speed freewheel.
Buy a cheap single speed crankset and install it
put on a chain and ride.
Old 09-25-19, 12:38 PM
roadbikeChris

Ok got the bike but only one speed (3rd) is working so needs some adjustments.